We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How do you get rid of the local drug dealer on your block? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Any suggestions? Realistic answers, please.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1340 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Calling the police would be the place to start.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Been there, done that. Here are some of the details:

A foreclosed house on my street was bought just a few months ago. The owner has a steady job, but him, his son & girlfriend, plus another couple who rent, are running a full-time drug store. It is drawing a lot of unsavory characters. Tons of young teenage foot traffic, plus older customers arriving in vehicles for quick pit-stops or curb-side transacrions. And late at night the two renters make short "back and forth" trips in their car. (We think they may be making deliveries to the college campus nearby).

Neighbors have been reporting license plate numbers and a daily list of activities to the police. But instead of raiding the place, the cops chose to have a "knock and talk" with the inhabitants. Which put them out of business for just one day. It's been "business as usual" ever since.

Apparently, the next step would be for the police to have an informer befriend the house residents, win their confidence, and buy something. The substance would then be analyzed by a lab. If it is proven to be narcotics, then the cops can request a search warrant and raid the place. I'm sure you'll all agree: this sequence of events will probably never happen.

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how else to deal with this problem? Obviously none of the neighbors want to directly confront these low-lifes for fear of retaliation (i.e. personal injury or property damage).
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I wouldn't know what to do beyond calling the cops. Maybe you could ask them to increase patrols in the area for a bit? I don't know where you happen to be located and how overstretched the police might be, so I don't know if that will work.

In the meantime, if you haven't already, you may want to get an alarm system installed in your home. Just in case.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Try the local (or any other) newspaper, setting up a sting operation and police doing nothing would be a perfect way to go about it.

I know an area where I live in and its been going on for few decades, and it still goes on.

Without any backhanders, I don't think this sort of dealing is possible.

Just my thought and not a fact.
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Take plenty of pictures/videos and post them all over the internet using social media and embarrass them, your local government and the cops and make sure the news outlets are aware of it. Of course you would have to find an IP address that doesn't tie back to you. Of course some of the clueless would now be informed of a new source of drugs. Good luck Arthur, that a tough issue to resolve. Drugs will be the downfall of this country.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2820 Posts

Profile of lunatik
This might be another way lol

http://youtu.be/XoVQaDbPna8
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
I assume you know I meant for you to do it anonymously.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
That's a tough one Arthur.

Have you thought about organizing a Neighborhood Watch Team? Our town has one and it's supported by the local police. We have signs posted alerting visitors to Neighborhood Watch, which might help to dissuade potential customers. Talk to your local police about that possibility. I'm surprised they didn't mention it to you. It sounds to me like your local PD is dropping the ball here. Make them be more proactive with you. Just a thought. They should be more than happy to help you develop a neighborhood watch. If not, then take it to the local papers like someone else suggested. Embarass the PD into doing something.

Good luck.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I go with contact your local television news team and let them know what happened. They might take an interest and if THEY go to the police and ask what's going on, you might get some action.

(Unless of course, the house is being set up as a sting BY the police, in which case you could ruin everything.) Smile
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
We got rid of a drug house by putting pressure on the owner of the house. Most drug houses are rented as no one doing that wants their name to be legally connected to what happens inside. I did not go alone, but many people living on the block joined in. The owner was hesitant to sell the house becasue he had made a death bed promise to his mother that he would never sell it. He also wasn't living there as it was in pretty crappy shape. Every time we saw him, we kept on him about drugs, strange smells coming from the house, people coming by at all hours, and the police running in once with guns drawn. Not the house I want near where I am raising my daughter. It took a long time, but the owner finally realized it would, or could, come back at him somhow. He realized there could be violence that he could be liable for, and even the possiblitiy of the house buring down due to drug error. He finally sold it as a fixer upper to a nice young couple, and it is much better now.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
They go where the Money is or where the addicts are. Wish there was an easy answer but the only way is to make the place such a heats score they will have no choice but to go somewhere else. How do you do that? Keep calling the police and getting them to come out to your area. Domestic disturbances suspected robberies whatever reason you can find until they realize your neighbourhood is just not a cool place to sell dope in.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1223 Posts

Profile of imgic
Check with your alderman or elected official. Many cities have laws to shut down houses they are public nuisances. But it takes a lot of work.

Start documenting everything. Any time you see a police car. Any disturbance. Count number of cars. Take pictures. Get the neighbors to join in. Every one keep a notebook

Soon you'll have enough for city attorney to take action against the owner.

We had similar situation with a small bar by our house that was bought and new owner turned it into a drug dealing scum pit. It took us three years but we finally got him out. It could have been done sooner if we knew to document everything.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Move to Colorado. Then everyone will be so high no one will care.

It's everywhere Arthur. Fighting them will only bring their wrath on to you, and that can be nasty.
Dennis Michael
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Move.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2014, Bob1Dog wrote:
That's a tough one Arthur.

Have you thought about organizing a Neighborhood Watch Team? Our town has one and it's supported by the local police. We have signs posted alerting visitors to Neighborhood Watch, which might help to dissuade potential customers. Talk to your local police about that possibility. I'm surprised they didn't mention it to you. It sounds to me like your local PD is dropping the ball here. Make them be more proactive with you. Just a thought. They should be more than happy to help you develop a neighborhood watch. If not, then take it to the local papers like someone else suggested. Embarass the PD into doing something.

Good luck.

Agree with Bob - we have Neighbourhood Watch here in Australia also and surely those signs would discourage their customers and also it would make the villains feel they were up against a community, not individuals. I've lived near a similar place, but they don't last long here - the moment the police get wind of somewhere like that they're on to it.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Move to another block.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Get the local church to organize a picket/protest.
They might be the only group that can get in the dealers face without too much fear of retribution.

Good luck.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Post garage sale type signs on streets leading to it.
"Follow arrows to drug house."
"This way to get high."
"Only two more blocks ahead"
"Don't forget, it's 8637 on the right"
"You're almost there, no secret knock needed"
etc. etc. You'll get attention sooner than later if only to find out who is posting the signs.
Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
Call the DEA, fill them in on what is transpiring and what you have done so far.
John
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How do you get rid of the local drug dealer on your block? (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL