We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How do you get rid of the local drug dealer on your block? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
Call the DEA, fill them in on what is transpiring and what you have done so far.

John
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
You can start playing silly games but what are you going to do when they start playing back?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
647 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
Arthur, the knock and talk does not work as you well experienced. Neighborhood Watch can be effective if people are serious about being the eyes and ears of the neighborhood. What may not look suspicious to cops will to someone who has lived in that area.

My suggestion is to contact the drug unit of the local law enforcement agency that has jurisdiction. Advise them of the knock and talk and how ineffective it was. If the local agency does not have this unit, contact the state agency. Under no circumstances should you or anyone else get involved as it could pose a high risk to you all. Some of the suggestions given were funny, but not realistic.

Even in my own neighborhood, we had a local drug dealer just up the street. He is living on our money now in state prison. I don't know what area you live in (city and state), so I am not familiar with the resources available. If you want to discuss this further privately, PM me or email me at policemagician@yahoo.com. Glenn

Click here to view attached image.
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
Almost all states have silent witness phone lines you can call.
Make a phone call from a pay phone and describe your situation, emphasize children
being harmed by these peoples actions.
Most if not all police stations have silent witness email addresses, download TOR,
use TOR to get a free gmail account, and use TOR to turn them in, this way you are
completely anonymous, and just watch how fast the dealers go down.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Unfortunately, I live Washington State where apathy and PC-ness have spiraled out of control. Unless you're robbing a bank (in which case the cops will shoot you dead), the legal system here seems to be soft on criminals. They appear to have more rights than decent, tax-paying citizens.

As to posting signs: Our neighborhood does have a block watch, but it has been completely ineffective. None of the neighbors want to confront these creeps directly. The drug house residents already know we're watching, but they are so bold it doesn't even phase them.

To make matters worse, the church one block away makes money by sponsoring N/A meetings 3 times a day. They feel these folks have to be "nurtured" ... even though occasional drug deals have also been spotted taking place in their parking lot. Last week I saw a guy on our street smoking a glass crack pipe, then walking over to the church to join his pals for an N/A meeting!

The trouble with asking a newspaper to "expose" the drug house, is that (according to the police) we have no actual proof that drugs are being sold. Yup, despite all the obvious activities, they say we have no proof! So the dealers would have to be caught red-handed ... and the cops have already botched that opportunity. I also have a sneaking suspicion, because our state recently legalized marijuana, that the cops are reluctant to take firmer action due to changing drug laws.

Sadly, the best advice I have been given, is to move. Which I can't afford to do. In the meantime, we'll keep reporting the drug house activities to the police department's Special Operations Group and hope that something will happen.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Un freaking believable! What is going on out there anyway? Calling all drug dealers; relocate to Washington State.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6992 Posts

Profile of Dougini
You say "drugs". Which ones? Marijuana only? A non-issue. Crack, cocaine, heroin? You got a problem. By defining "drugs" you get a better perspective of the problem...

Doug
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2014, Bob1Dog wrote:
Un freaking believable! What is going on out there anyway? Calling all drug dealers; relocate to Washington State.


I don't know what part of Washington Arthur lives in, but that comment really isn't fair. There have been many major busts of cocaine, crack, heroin, etc. dealers in my area. Those things aren't tolerated any more here than they are in Delaware, for example.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5044 Posts

Profile of landmark
When local law enforcement doesn't step in to solve an obvious problem that the locals are upset about, it leaves the door open for other kinds of organizing to take place.

In NYC, the Nation of Islam--not an organization I'm particularly fond of, but that's sort of part of my point--got tremendous traction in some communities because they were able to drive out the local drug dealers.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2014, Bob1Dog wrote:
Un freaking believable! What is going on out there anyway? Calling all drug dealers; relocate to Washington State.


I don't know what part of Washington Arthur lives in, but that comment really isn't fair. There have been many major busts of cocaine, crack, heroin, etc. dealers in my area. Those things aren't tolerated any more here than they are in Delaware, for example.

I knew I'd get your attention with that one Bob! Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I know you did!

But it really is pretty nice where I live in the Seattle area. There's a reason this place frequently makes the top ten in the various lists of best places to live in America.
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Isn't the love of rain another reason? Smile
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
LOL. Not really! But it's probably why we have so many beautiful forests and lush vegetation. And most people are pretty friendly. (Even Bigfoot seems to get along.)
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6992 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Probably smokin' some o' that BC "Purps". Our Bigfoot is Sasquatch, and he likes the "Arjan's Haze"...LOL!

:) Doug
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2014, Bob1Dog wrote:
Un freaking believable! What is going on out there anyway? Calling all drug dealers; relocate to Washington State.


Illegal drugs houses are everywhere. I don't even need to mention how accessible they were when we lived in New York City. But you'd think moving to suburbia would be safer. Not so. Here's my homeowner nightmare story:

When our livelihood was destroyed by 9/11, my wife and I relocated from NYC to the fishing village of Gloucester, MA. We bought a little cottage in a great neighborhood right by the ocean. But even there, drug houses were prevalent. On the block behind us, a drug dealer had an overdose. And on our own street, two houses down lived a very wealthy real estate agent, whose daughter was a heroin addict. This mother thought the best way to prevent her daughter from running away from home, was to invite the girl's drug dealing boyfriend to move in with them! Needless to say, this caused a constant stream of traffic, drawing all sorts of unstable and dangerous low-lifes to our area. After several years of trouble, the house was finally raided and the boyfriend went to jail.

About 5 years ago we moved to Bremerton, WA. We own a beautiful 1933 brick Tudor house on a very good block. However, when we first took occupancy, we had no idea that our next-door neighbor, a mom of 3 young kids, was running a prostitution ring. Even worse, her teenage son was a drug dealing felon. Her behavior, and that of her girlfriends and their male customers - even out in the street at night - was like watching the Jerry Springer Show! But because she was friends with our bull-dyke block captain and another female neighbor, every effort to get rid of this unpleasantness failed.

Eventually the "madam" defaulted on her mortgage. We were overjoyed, because we thought that would be the end of it. But have you ever heard the saying, "scum always rises to the surface?" This was proven to be true. Because the madam's female friend offered her the use of her house, which she was abandoning! This is right across the street from us. So this madam became a squatter, moved right in, and recruited all her female "employees" and several male customers to help carry her possessions across the street!

So now, instead of being next door to us, The Springer Show was right in our faces. And so was the constant flow of low-lifes coming to buy drugs. Due to this influx, there were several car thefts and robberies on our street. We were often scared to leave our house, and when going on errands, we sometimes back-tracked and drove past our house again to make sure none of her low-life friends were casing our property.

We even had to call the cops on the madam's son one night at 2:00 am, when we found him prowling around in our back yard! This caused endless amounts of animosity, not least because she had the support of our illustrious block captain. But eventually, through consistent efforts on our part, we compromised her, and got the bank to force her out. Like most scumbags, she simply moved her business elsewhere without missing a beat.

But I'll tell you, it was such a relief to get rid of her and her operation! My wife and I couldn't wait for some decent folks to move in. But here's the problem: because it was now bank-owned, the house was selling for half its real value. And guess who bought it? The creep who is running the current drug operation!

Now here's some more background: Up until recently there was another drug house further down our street, which is not in our line of vision. This was a hard-core meth dealer. His immediate neighbors worked together and sent in reports, and it took several police visits over 2 years, but eventually his total disregard for the law worked against him. But it only worked because this drug-dealer was a renter. That allowed the authorities to involve his landlord and get him evicted. (But would you believe, the cops didn't arrest him ... he is reportedly already back in business in a different neighborhood).

Our biggest obstacle with the house across the street from us, is that the drug-dealing creep is not a renter. He owns the house. And that is a different story. Except for emailing suspicious activities to Police Department's Special Operations Group, and calling 911 whenever necessary, and pestering politicians, we are basically powerless. We can only hope that one day the cops will attempt to catch the perpetrators red-handed.

P.S. To answer Dougini: There is definitely pot being smoked at the house. But we think it's mostly recreational. All the neighbors are pretty sure they are dealing in harder drugs. This is based on observing the behavior of the residents (which is not typical of pot smokers). Plus the fact that hypodermic needles have been found on their property. And the many curb-side transactions we have seen in parked cars, with cash being exchanged for small packets.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
I know you did!

But it really is pretty nice where I live in the Seattle area. There's a reason this place frequently makes the top ten in the various lists of best places to live in America.


I know Seattle is nice. Though I've only been there twice. Once through SEA-TAC airport when I shipped to Alaska in 1967 and later in the mid eighties when I spent a few days at our printing facility in Federal Way. Very nice indeed. Smile

It's just when I hear stories like the one Arthur is telling, it angers me that our public officials won't do more to help folks like Arthur and his family. City officials/police, state officials/police, federai officials/feds. And you're right Bob, it's all over just like you say, here in Delaware as well. We're a small state so we don't get the attention or the large number of bad guys that the larger states do, but we have our problems too on a smaller scale. But we also bust a lot of them too.

I only wish for America what's good for all of us, and drug busting is a good thing. And I'm not talking about pot. I'm totally for legalizing it. But we have to do something about the hard stuff and the crime that goes with it.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4145 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2014, Bob1Dog wrote:
And I'm not talking about pot. I'm totally for legalizing it. But we have to do something about the hard stuff and the crime that goes with it.


Unfortunately, it seems that pot very often leads to the hard stuff. That's what I've always heard, anyway. If that's true, would not increased pot use (i.e., more 1st time users who might not otherwise have tried it, & users who use it more than they perhaps than they would have prior to legalization) cause an increase in these types of situations?
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
No, Cannabis is not a "gateway" it does not lead to anything despite what "it seems to" you. Maybe that's all you hear because that is all you want to hear. It is not true.

You may be able to add some pressure by reporting the cars to 1-800-GRAB-DUI and get some of the customers to stop.
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Chessman-

Marijuana is NOT a gateway drug. That's a myth.

Would you call alcohol a "gateway" to other drugs or anti-social and unhealthy behavior? SOME people do crazy things when they're drunk and probably try a lot of things they wouldn't try otherwise.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How do you get rid of the local drug dealer on your block? (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL