The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Drawing Illusion--Any Idea how to do this? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

trampabroad
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of trampabroad
Hello, Nihao and Salam Aleikum.

Long time lurker here. I've got a nifty-ish idea for an illusion and I'm curious if anyone has any idea how I could pull it off.
The trick I'd like to do combines drawing and magic. I'm already familiar with Axell's drawing board, but I'd like it to be something where the M. has a bit more freedom in what to draw.

I'd like to do a trick where the magician draws a picture. It could be a tree with leaves, or a flower, or just an abstract bunch of squares. Then, looking dissatisfied, she reaches into the picture and starts rearranging the picture with his/her hands. Finally she allows the picture to be inspected, showing that its just an ordinary, unchangeable picture.

Two ways I can think of doing this:

1. On a drawing pad, where the moving elements are stuck-on pieces of paper that the M. rearranges. At the end you could use Out to Lunch to show that it's just a regular picture.

2. On a black/whiteboard, where the moving elements are drawn on transparent bits of plastic.

The problem with approach 2 is that I can't find any kind of plastic that doesn't reflect horribly and give away the illusion. Both approaches also have the problem, of finding a sticky adhesive that's strong enough to keep things from moving but weak enough to pull free without crumpling the paper/plastic.

Any thoughts? Comments? suggestions? Is this something that's been done before?
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Sorry, This is not the area where we can discuss method.
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
Th fix for your reflective glare problem - which is okay to discuss here, Eldon - can be solved with an aerosol spray: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnKfveyrBA4
You can find this easily on eBay.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2910 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Sounds like Teller's rose illusion.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
trampabroad
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of trampabroad
Thanks for the tip. Either of you know what I can do for something reliably sticky(but not too sticky?)

I've never seen the rose illusion but I've heard tell of it. I'm not quite ballsy enough to try something like that though--I was thinking more along the lines of: "look I can push this shape around even though it's drawn on."
TravisNye
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of TravisNye
I know this is not what you are looking for but a close up on the arm version of moving something drawn on look at a rising card trick called "Rizer". one of my favorite tricks. Basically the same effect you are looking for but you draw it on your body
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2014, George Ledo wrote:
Sounds like Teller's rose illusion.

Teller's rose illusion is quite different. There is an actual rose, and the shadow of the rose cast on a backdrop. What happens to the shadow happens to the rose. As magic goes, the effect is quite different, and so would the method...
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7438 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Teller's rose is copyrighted and vigorously protected.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I can tell you just what you need for this. If you do it with a ________, then you might have to _________ the _________, but only in certain lighting. However, a ________ with a ________ finish, will almost definitely work in all lighting conditions and even surrounded. However, it is a pain to reset, so I don't recommend it for table hopping.
Good luck!
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
LOL, Pepka!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Lin_
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Lin_
Why this thread is not moving or deleted?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Drawing Illusion--Any Idea how to do this? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL