The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Robetro Giobbi (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Jeremini
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Jeremini
I just wantedto start a topic about Roberto Giobbi. I really like him and I think sometimes that maybe he doesn't get the respect that is desrving for what he's done. I love his books and Id like there to be a discussion topic where other people who like his books can share what they think about him.

For me personally I LOVE the fact that theyre in a textbook format. A whileback I think I got made fun of for recommending his books and I am not sure why? I think that if you love card magic you want to apparoch the fundamentals in proper way. A few years back in computer games they were talking about "the spiritual succesor", and I think Giobbi's books represent the spirirtual succesor to Royal Road to Card Magic, which is one of the most important books about card magic ever.

What do you think?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I think his books are useful. A tad overrated, but useful.
As a magician, he is excellent.
As for the Royal Road....meh.
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Over-rated based on what, exactly?
MikeBeaudet
View Profile
Loyal user
Becancour
228 Posts

Profile of MikeBeaudet
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2014, magicfish wrote:
I think his books are useful. A tad overrated, but useful.
As a magician, he is excellent.
As for the Royal Road....meh.

Overrated? Not for me at all. I learned my foundations in card magic with his superb collection of Card College books. It gave me the confidence and helped me learn more tricks from the classics as Harry Lorayne, Vernon, Marlo et al. His approach to teaching card magic is not seen in many books and very usefull when you start learning card magic. Anyway, for me his books are real treasures as for the Classic Collection from Harry Lorayne. I will certainly recommand his books to someone who wants to start learning card magic. No doubt. Probably one of my best buy in card magic... Smile
Do your best and forget the rest
WaseeMagic
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of WaseeMagic
He a perfect teacher for magic. His magic is so well thought and theatrically constructed.

For me he is One of the Best teachers of magic. His books are the best way to start and get into the fascinating world of card magic. I wish I had started off with his books 4 years back Smile
mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
574 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
Good topic Jeremini. I think Giobbi is one of the great masters of our craft and I appreciate his thinking. I started off with Royal Road and then several years later I began studying Card College. Personally, I'm glad I started with Royal because when I began studying Card College, it felt like I graduated at the top of my class in high school and then received a scholarship to further my studies at an Ivy league college. For me, what Giobbi teaches in those books and how he teaches, is invaluable.

I was lucky enough to spend three days with him at the inaugural Card Clinic back a few years ago along with Jammy Ian Swiss. It is clear that this is a man who is very passionate of his craft. I think you're right, I don't think he gets the respect or admiration he deserves. Just my two centavos.

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
Jeremini
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Jeremini
I realy think card college is a gift to the magic community. There are many books that are collections of tricks (there always were and always will be) but to put together a COURSE like this is unique. There should be more like this. If there was a coin magic book like this ...
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2014, Jeremini wrote:
I realy think card college is a gift to the magic community. There are many books that are collections of tricks (there always were and always will be) but to put together a COURSE like this is unique. There should be more like this. If there was a coin magic book like this ...

There is actually: J.B. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic.
Jeremini
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Jeremini
I don't think the bobo book compares to card college though. Do you??
Jorib
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of Jorib
Two classics on their own, Card College is modern classic while Bobo is a bit dated but still the most complete coin magic resource.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Bobo's book is a collection of tricks. If you think it's the best book on coin magic, I disagree. I found "Coin Magic", by R. Kaufman to be far more useful. It's far better illustrated and written. Having a huge swath of David Roth material in it, makes it doubly useful.

Neither "New Modern Coin Magic", nor "Coin Magic" purport or need to be what "Card College" is. They don't have to be. Many magicians prefer books that are bagfuls of tricks. If a magician has worked up the vast majority of the sleight-of-hand they require, before finding Giobbi's opus maximus, they may not need all that pedantry. If you were put off by Giobbi's writing, it's probably because he a methodical teacher. Some folks don't like to hear/read every nuance and opinion of a writer. A great magician I know once said, "If you learned to perform all the material in Volumes I and II of Card College, you'd be a great magician." He's right.

Even if you know all the material in volumes I and II, the later volumes to hold fantastic insights and versions of tricks I love. Pedantry aside, the books are an incredible resource. Plus, "Card College" makes a great introduction to anyone wanting to start out in card magic. Volume 5, especially, is a fantastic resource on some of the greatest plots in magic.

Above all else Giobbi has give us a canon. There is now a widely available reference work on the vast majority of card magic, in use, in these times. I agree there is no comparable work on coin magic. Dave Neighbors books, (of which only the first is in print), may deliver us the volume of Giobbi. But Dave's work will not be pedantic in nature. It will be the collection of one man's magic. Ah, and what a massive, joyous collection it will be!

KG
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2014, Richard Kaufman wrote:
My two large coin books were never designed for beginners. Both were written with the assumption that Bobo's Modern Coin Magic would have been the starting point before my books were purchased...

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=30
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Gee, Kent, and all these years I thought you'd also learned "good to great" card magic from my books!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
jeebs9
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of jeebs9
Card College is best thing that ever happen to me in magic. I was learning card tricks before. Now I'm putting several skills together on the go. And doing my own variation of tricks (not really my own).
Jeremini
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Jeremini
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2014, jeebs9 wrote:
Card College is best thing that ever happen to me in magic. I was learning card tricks before. Now I'm putting several skills together on the go. And doing my own variation of tricks (not really my own).

Me too! Smile Thanks to the book I feel better able to put myown tricks together. Good stuff!!
KokoB
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of KokoB
Card College is the way to start when you are new to card magic Giobbi is a great teacher I saw him at a lecture & he is an amazing teacher. I have to say I recommend all his books After completing Card College move to Card College Lightest Light Lighter, Secret Agenda ect. They are all great books I collected them when I got into card magic.& if you ever get a chance to see him lecture please do.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Giobbi's books are obviously very good. And many, MANY, over the decades, have told me and tell me that they couldn't have been as good with impromptu card magic if it wasn't for my books. So, just curious, if jeebs9 and Jeremini, etc., are aware of that. Just curious. Best - Harry L.

Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Like...many have told me that CLOSE-UP CARD MAGIC (and THE MAGIC BOOK) is the "way to start." Again, just curious.

tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
They are quite different, HL. I've never felt the urge to invest in the Card College series, although I have looked through them over the years. They have a similar usefulness to RRTCM, Expert Card Technique & The Expert at The Card Table, inasmuch as they teach it move by move. I guess the big difference is that your books are brilliant for people who actually want to go out and start performing magic, whereas the Giobbi books seem to me to be a rigorous approach to learning every sleight under the sun. (Yes, yes, I know there are tricks in there, but the emphasis seems to be on developing your chops.)

Why not invest in both?
jeebs9
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of jeebs9
Yea those are basically the 3 books I've read on card magic. RRTCM, ECT & TETC and Card College. I was referred to them on another site. Started out on RRTCM. Then read Card College (just getting into the final volume).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Robetro Giobbi (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL