The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Electronic mail vs. snail mail (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I don't want this to be a debate about regular mail vs electronic mail but with postage rates continuing to climb, I am doing far less snail mailing (almost none) and more electronic mail. How do you email someone a sales letter? Anything with an attachment from an unknown source is quickly sent to the "round file".
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
If you call and ask permission first, then they'll be expecting it. That's for a one by one approach.

If you are mass emailing, then that's different.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Neale, I do not claim expertise in this area, but here is what I would think as a plain old ordinary guy who reads e-mail. I think your only hope is to have a subject line that is a real grabber. If I don't know the sender, and I don't like the subject line, I never open it.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Usually an (unsolicited) email lead generation would be short and sweet... here's who I am and what I do (how I can help you) -- if you want more information, then send me a reply email or call me (also provide a link to your website). No brochures or flyers or sales letters as attachments in the initial lead generation email.

- Donald
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Easy answer: Opt-in
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Email has become a less effective tool since everyone started to us it. Filters and spam folders and tech designed to send advertisements there are making it tougher.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Email has become a less effective tool since everyone started to us it. Filters and spam folders and tech designed to send advertisements there are making it tougher.

This is why opt-in is so important now. Besides, your list is a crucial part of your business! I believe when we chatted a while back I discussed a few ideas on lead generation.

-Michael
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Neale,

Send a personal email with a link to the sales letter.

Lou
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
You can easily set up a landing page that is an opt-in situation for people. Entice them and give them a reason to opt-in. Then, use a program like mailchimp etc. to send out your emails in any format you like. This also gives them an opt-out opportunity.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
Prospecting the way you are talking about is almost non-existent. Times have changed and sending thousands of emails and/or thousands of snail mail will result in a giant goose egg compared to what could be done with search and proper internet marketing.

As mentioned, opt in is one of the best ways to get people in your funnel. Make an offer that is compelling, interesting and relevant to them and they will join your community... That is if your content doesn't suck.

Culture had changed over the years where consumers and prospects have become accustomed to getting free reports and free information by choice not by unsolicited email or snail junk mail.

Instead of finding a way to spam emails why not come up with a way to put yourself and business in front of the prospect and offer free information?

It certainly works for me!

Josh
Josh
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
I just noticed that the OP stated that the email was coming from an unknown source. In that case, it sounds like SPAM to me, and I'd steer clear.

People who have opted-in to your list is a different story.

Lou
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2014, JoshLondonMagic wrote:
Prospecting the way you are talking about is almost non-existent. Times have changed and sending thousands of emails and/or thousands of snail mail will result in a giant goose egg compared to what could be done with search and proper internet marketing.

As mentioned, opt in is one of the best ways to get people in your funnel. Make an offer that is compelling, interesting and relevant to them and they will join your community... That is if your content doesn't suck.

Culture had changed over the years where consumers and prospects have become accustomed to getting free reports and free information by choice not by unsolicited email or snail junk mail.

Instead of finding a way to spam emails why not come up with a way to put yourself and business in front of the prospect and offer free information?

It certainly works for me!

Josh

This is so true. On a daily basis I am constantly amazed at people that are doing general blind blanket mailings and e-mailings off a non-specific list and truly consider this marketing! It is amazing. This was iffy and a crapshoot two and three decades ago, and with today's advanced methods, process and business operations the thought that people still believe and do this type of marketing blows me away. Yet I encounter it on a weekly basis through applicants to my coaching program, consulting and other direct contact with performers.

With all that is now common knowledge and standardly available and more inexpensive and accessible than ever before, I just don't get it. (not referring to Neal, but in general).
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I don't send mass emails out to a list, so I have a question about the topic of mass emails and opting in.

If I wanted to send mass emails / enewsletters to my past customers list, do you feel that I need to send them an email note one by one asking them to opt in?

Or is it ok to send mass emails to my past customers list, without asking them to opt in, because I already have a past business relationship with them?

Also, are the opt in guidelines different for Business to Business (for example, contacting a past customer from a school or daycare), as opposed to Business to Individual (for example, contacting a past birthday show customer)?

- Donald
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Opting in is simply the process of choosing to accept or receive your emails. Indicating an interest in yo and your services or offerings (free report, newsletters, updates, etc.) I believe since these people have already opted in by originally contacting your and subsequently booking you or dealing with you, they have more than indicated an opt-in status.

Then comes the context of future correspondence. I've been a firm believer in three approaches - updates, education and informing them (of progress, new offerings, specials, etc.) and continuing service to them. Business should be about relationships. Relationships are about mutual as well as individual interests and perspectives of both parties involved. So as long as they meet these criteria, I think you are fine and it could be seen and professional business and personal value.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
One more question. If you are doing a mass email to past customers (for example), you always have to include an opt-out link. Is that correct?

- Donald
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Donald, I recently made the switch from Aweber to MailChimp because Awebers sign up forms and emails are not as elegant as I'd like.

With aweber when you manually add someone to your list they get an email asking them to confirm they want to be added. Mailchimp doesn't do this, but when you send a. Email to your list with MC there is an unsubscribe option at the bottom.

All my subscribers what were on aweber were transferred to MC and no one unsubscribed when I sent my first newsletter.

Hope that helps and please feel free to pm me with any more questions.

Josh
Josh
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 26, 2014, Mindpro wrote:
Opting in is simply the process of choosing to accept or receive your emails. Indicating an interest in yo and your services or offerings (free report, newsletters, updates, etc.) I believe since these people have already opted in by originally contacting your and subsequently booking you or dealing with you, they have more than indicated an opt-in status.

Then comes the context of future correspondence. I've been a firm believer in three approaches - updates, education and informing them (of progress, new offerings, specials, etc.) and continuing service to them. Business should be about relationships. Relationships are about mutual as well as individual interests and perspectives of both parties involved. So as long as they meet these criteria, I think you are fine and it could be seen and professional business and personal value.

Here's another trick I use when I want people to subscribe. On my contact form (www.TheSanDiegoMagician.com/contact) for my kid shows I have a pre selected "subscribe to newsletter" option. When people fill that out and I see that is checked I manually add them to my MC list.

It's a great work around and an easy way to get subscribers. They key is that they can opt out anytime they want.

Josh
Josh
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yes I too have actually three different methods of opting in which captures most intended.
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Thanks for all the input.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
It's unethical and perhaps illegal to send out unsolicited emails. In general, if anyone contacts me and asks for information, particularly if they give me their email, they go onto my email list. I have an information form on my website that also asks for their email. My mails to them includes an "unsubscribe" option. I know who opens or never opens, so I can purge names occasionally.

I stretch it a bit. If a business offers up there email with a general "Contact Us" invitation, I'll use it. They can always opt out. We must remember that they are in business, and they work with other businesses, such as us. Not all of our mass mailing to people are unwanted.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Electronic mail vs. snail mail (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL