The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Card In The Raw" (the "sugar in the raw" packet that is) (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TomBaker
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of TomBaker
Have had LOTS of PMs about this over the months and very pleased to say that I finally have the gimmick, handling, and all pretty much "set" and working like I always hoped it would!!

The gimmick for this is invisible in the deck and allows the secretly folded signed playing card to be easily loaded and the sealed sugar packet (or anything that size...a "mini wallet", small envelope" or whatever) can then be found anywhere and the spectator tears it open to find their signed card inside!!

The "Card In The Raw" comes from the brand of sugar packet "Sugar In The Raw" which I've found are the perfect size for this effect and can be found easily (Wal-Mart has 'em I know).

Want to get the patter down for this and do a little more experimenting and will then post a video of how it looks ("Sankey style"...and a live performance).

Of course the two methods I use for the folding results in the card being folded very neatly (about perfectly so it'll fit in the 'packet!) so the folding method(s) can be used for any effect where a good, neat, fold is desired...like all of 'em! The fold I like best has my magic info on one half of the card face, either already there or I write it on the card and they sign the other half (they see the entire card face and that there's nothing "unusual" about it). It ends up folded nice 'n neat and all the folds have been done by hand (no pre-scribed work)!...CSI, the FBI, or whatever could check and "okay" it.

Planning on having 4 additional effects on the finished DVD, all ones I've used for years with great results.

Hoping more people think this sounds good and are "interested"??
APC
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1213 Posts

Profile of APC
Definitely interested! Can't wait to see a video and congrats on your hard work coming to fruition!
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Sounds fantastic. Smile
magicduro
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
529 Posts

Profile of magicduro
Sounds good. Been looking forward to this for a while.

I'm anxious to see the demo!
TomBaker
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of TomBaker
Going to shoot some live performances this weekend and will post in the week following.

Forgot to add that I'll send along two gimmicks when selling this, one in bicycle red and one in blue, but either can be very easily modified to ANY poker size color or brand of card.

Also, it's also very easy to make your own gimmicks so if one gets lost, wet, spindled or mutilated...no problem! Make more for pennies each!
TomBaker
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of TomBaker
Going to shoot some live performances this weekend and will post in the week following.

Forgot to add that I'll send along two gimmicks when selling this, one in bicycle red and one in blue, but either can be very easily modified to ANY poker size color or brand of card.

Also, it's also very easy to make your own gimmicks so if one gets lost, wet, spindled or mutilated...no problem! Make more for pennies each!
TomBaker
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of TomBaker
Sorry for the double post...the good 'ole "page can't be displayed" came up and didn't think it sent the first time!
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
973 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
I look forward to the demo. Sounds interesting.
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
TomBaker
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of TomBaker
What ever happened to this????

Well, I kept working and experimenting to make it "better" and just this week have finally (finally!!!) got the gimmick so it works the easiest and best of any I've ever made (and there's been a LOT of 'em! Over several years!).

The gimmick is pretty much "invisable" in the deck and easy to add or ditch.

Super easy to make so, like I posted before, if a gimmick gets wrecked or whatever, no problem making others.

It allows the folded playing card (a couple ways to get it folded really nice and neat) to be easily loaded and the sugar packet secretly emerges completly sealed and the spectator can examine, tear it open, and keep everything.

More to come in the near future.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Sound's great Tom,i adore signed card's to impossible sealed item's,i do card to sweet's sandwich packet's and sealed bottles of beer,wish I could get my hands on Max isolation,but no chance and way out of my budget at the moment,may have to look into "Card In The Raw".
The0mas
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of The0mas
This sounds awesome. can't wait to see a demo Smile do you have a rough idea of the releasing date?
TomBaker
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of TomBaker
No idea of a release date as I've just now got the gimmick to where it works the best, so would need to get a good supply (and HOPE I'd need 'em!) made up ahead of time and get a DVD done also...like everybody else does that sells something magical.

One nice thing about this is that it could be used with any of the props that have come out where the signed/folded card is dumped out of. Only in this case it would be the sugar packet which would be handed to the spectator for them to check out (it's sealed all the way around) and tear open...with the signed/folded card found inside. Which they can examine more and keep. Well...the signed card and torn 'packet anyway!

Going to post a quick demo video in the very near future that'll give everybody a good idea of how it looks.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
(it's sealed all the way around) and tear open...with the signed/folded card found inside.

Sounds awesome Tom,THINKING INSIDE THE BAG, that's what magic need's fresh idea's and way's to acheive what look's impossible.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Have some question that have not been asked.

What is the preparation time on the sugar packet?
Will there also be sugar in the packet along with the card?
How easily will it be to do a repeat at the next table?
Will the magician have to go to a secluded place to do the prep work?
Are their angle problems with seeing the gimmick and/or sugar packet placed in the deck, such as large gaps easily seen?

This sounds to good to be true, looking forward to a signed folded card to Sugar Packet. Sounds impossible!
TomBaker
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of TomBaker
In answer to your questions (HAPPY to do!)

There is some preparation in making up the sugar packets ahead of time, but once a supply is done they are pretty much ready to use with only a small addition which can be done hours or a day or so before performing with them

No, it just has room for the folded card which is good since when the spectator tears it open (at a table) there'd be sugar spilling out!

You can use the same gimmick (one will last a long time, but easy to make more as spares) and it takes about 10 seconds to "reload" between tables, or you could have more pre-loaded and if using something like the UCCU it'd be easy to add a loaded gimmick anytime, even after doing other card effects just secretly add the gimmick and it's set to go.

So no secret prep work would be needed.

The only "angle problem" would be someone looking up at the deck from below. This can be done with people all around especially in a walk around situation. The dirty work is done on the bottom of the deck and there are no gaps or anything to see. The deck can be freely spread, before and after the effect, front or backs showing and nothing will be seen!

Actually, anything that's "sugar packet size" (about 2 1/2"X 1 3/4") will work with the gimmick...two (thin) business cars cut to size and glued together on all sides, or a "mini wallet" made from black or brown (wallet color) paper, etc. I think it's better to use something "real world" like the sugar packet and the "Sugar In The Raw" are the right size to work with and are available at Wal-Mart, Target and probably others. (I found some "regular" white 'packets the correct size, but found I had to buy 4000 at a time!!)

I'm going to make a quick video demo in the next day or so that'll be just a "hands shot" doing the simplest handling of the effect with no cut aways, so those "in the know" will probably see and know when the actual "secret folding" of the card takes place, and probably when the gimmick loading happens also. But these are things the spectators would never notice of course.

Really hoping everybody likes it!!
TomBaker
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of TomBaker
Yea!...got a couple videos shot of this and will post the best looking one on here today or tomorrow!!

If they both look bad, I'll do another one but I'm hoping the longer,7 min one, shows how it works pretty well.

Still like how the "using any of the folded card to impossible location props" makes this even better as the sealed 'packet that's "dumped" out of whichever one you use is taken a step farther, kind of like a "nest of boxes" as the spectator is given the 'packet to tear open to find the signed card neatly folded inside. And with the handling I like most, the card is folded (neatly) by hand with no "exacto work" or anything.

Of course the camera was "burning my hands" worse than having warts removed during this but when you're doing this for spectators, the slight movements of the hands and deck...no problem.

Gotta check out the video(s) and see!!
The expert
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of The expert
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2014, Fire Starter wrote:
(it's sealed all the way around) and tear open...with the signed/folded card found inside.

Sounds awesome Tom,THINKING INSIDE THE BAG, that's what magic need's fresh idea's and way's to acheive what look's impossible.

*needs
*ideas
*achieve
*looks

I say well done for Tom doing something different after being the best Dr Who.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Card In The Raw" (the "sugar in the raw" packet that is) (3 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL