We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What became of key west street regulations? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Endless West
View Profile
Regular user
A town called Malice
186 Posts

Profile of Endless West
Whatever became of the regulations that key west was placing on street performers?
I know Mallory square is still thriving, but working Duval was apparently regulated away.
I found an old thread discussing it here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=6

I was in key west a month ago and saw only one guitar player on Duvall street the whole time.
In the old thread it was mentioned that key west has a $150 permit, I believe, plus insurance requirements. Anyone know if this still enforced?
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
I think they waived the permit fee for performers but have an insurance requirement. The also limit to certain areas of Duval St. and say you have to be X distance from corners and other performers.
Endless West
View Profile
Regular user
A town called Malice
186 Posts

Profile of Endless West
At one point do permits and regulations become unconstitutional. Having to be "permitted" by the government to exercise your rights seems like an oxymoron. I feel like some of the "blocking the right of way" charges they try to stick performers with are about the same as the disorderly conduct charge the stick people with. It's one of those that's so in the discretion of an officer that there's nothing you can say or do to fight it.
That's good that the permit is waived, but having to have insurance to do card tricks is just as crazy in my mind.
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
Still need a permit. No charge for it but must show proof of insurance and file paperwork. Governments are not about freedoms, they are about control. Politicians are about getting re-elected. The politicos catered to a small vocal minority of shop owners who felt that since they have to lease their space, they control the sidewalk in front of their store so no one should be allowed to make money "for free".
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2014, NeutronBomb wrote:
At one point do permits and regulations become unconstitutional. Having to be "permitted" by the government to exercise your rights seems like an oxymoron. I feel like some of the "blocking the right of way" charges they try to stick performers with are about the same as the disorderly conduct charge the stick people with. It's one of those that's so in the discretion of an officer that there's nothing you can say or do to fight it.
That's good that the permit is waived, but having to have insurance to do card tricks is just as crazy in my mind.

Well, the government already requires permits for the media, television and radio people have to have permits to broadcast.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Endless West
View Profile
Regular user
A town called Malice
186 Posts

Profile of Endless West
Yeah I'm not in favor of the FCC either.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What became of key west street regulations? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL