The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » B.B. King (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I've always loved the blues, but only recently acquired a taste for B.B. King. Man oh man what a wonderful artist. I absolutely love B.B. King.
Fellow fans can share there thoughts here about this blues legend.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Always loved B.B. King. An American institution and one of the best blues men of all time.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
B.B. King is great but he doesn't need me to say it.

-Mary Mowder
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Always loved B.B. King. An American institution and one of the best blues men of all time.

In TOTAL agreement. He mixes a little bit of jazz and gospel with his blues, both with the guitar and vocals. (2 of his influences ... Mahalia Jackson and Charlie Christian). I love all his stuff from his earliest recordings (check out 'The Jungle'!) to his most recent (I love his duets with Eric Clapton). His tone is just exquisite. Lynn
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Scared the crap out of me. I thought you were going to say he'd died.
We used to do "Thrill is Gone" in the garage band I sang in. One of my favorites.

There's also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnlwxS-36AU
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I am right there with you, critter- almost had my own "moment" and was afraid to open the thread! I have seen B.B. King perform many times and it always is a thrill.
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
The very first concert I went to, B.B. King was the opening act. the 3rd Quaker City Rock Festival. Line up was B.B. King, Santana, Joe Cocker and Janis Joplin. I was in 9th grade, 8 rows back and wearing elephant bells.

He was fantastic but the huge surprise was Santana who no one had heard of, they didn't even have their first album out but they brought down the house.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I was on a coach bus early morning recently. The sun hadn't risen yet and the bus was dark.
I turned on some B.B. King and through my earbuds came Blues Before Sunrise.
Wow. What a voice. I was taken away. Lucille was singing too. She told the story just as clearly as King's beautiful vocals.
The song ended. I opened my eyes and I had reached my destination. I was in a state of euphoria.
B.B. King is phenomenal. And I never new it.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I saw BB King and Paul Butterfield at the Fillmore East in 1968 or 69...it's a little fuzzy.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I saw BB King and Paul Butterfield at the Fillmore East in 1968 or 69...it's a little fuzzy.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Mention of King's guitar, Lucille, reminds me of an old detective show I saw a long time ago in which B.B. guest starred. Lucille had been stolen. I can't remember the show or much else about the plot, except that they got her back.

Anyone remember anything more about that?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I tried googling that.

This refers to a Booker episode with such a plot.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0530084/

-Mary Mowder
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Yes. I believe that's it, Mary. No wonder I couldn't remember the name of the show. "Booker" only ran for twenty-two episodes according to the IMDB page.

It came back to me a bit when I read the plot outline. Interesting that the "complete cast" listing for the episode, BB King isn't mentioned. But according to the Wikipedia entry for the Booker TV series, King did indeed guest star on the show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booker_%28TV_series%29

Thanks for finding that!
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Sweet tone.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
I saw him with Bobby Blue Bland, who is no longer singing the blues.

I heard the story of when BB went back into a burning bar to save Lucile.

Also saw some awesome videos with Stevie Ray, and then John Mayer.
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
David Marcus
View Profile
New user
3,375.97 miles outside of Paris, France.
81 Posts

Profile of David Marcus
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2014, critter wrote:
Scared the crap out of me. I thought you were going to say he'd died.

I had the same thought. I almost went to Google before opening the thread.
“Next to music, beer was best.” - Carson McCullers
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
Saw B.B. in '08, I think he was 83. It was awesome. He's touring now. If you haven't seen him do it before it's too late.

Quote:
On Mar 26, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Mention of King's guitar, Lucille, reminds me of an old detective show I saw a long time ago in which B.B. guest starred. Lucille had been stolen. I can't remember the show or much else about the plot, except that they got her back.

Anyone remember anything more about that?
Don't remember the show, but he had one stolen in real life a few years ago. It was one Gibson had given him for his 80th birthday. Someone came across it in a pawn shop and returned it. Don't recall all the details but I do remember it's kind of a cool story if you feel like googling it.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
BB was also on a Sanford and Sons episode in which Redd Foxx was in fear of BB (looking for the man that stole BB's girlfriend). The ex girlfriend turned out to be 'Aunt Esther'; and of course all turned out well, ending with an excellent musical number. Lynn
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
My borother was a limo driver and was lucky enough to get to drive him and his manager to and from a show he had here in town several years back. He said he was one really great guy. His manger gave my brother a $100.00 bill and B.B. gave my brother a B.B. King money clip to keep the money in. I've been able to see him twice through the years. One guy that I'll always remeber other than B.B. was one of his horn players that was always shaking his head back and forth. Anyone else remember that guy?
Bob.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » B.B. King (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL