The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Tag Team Hypnosis (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I am taking part in an interesting show in a few weeks time. There will be two hypnotists on stage together. I have a lot of experience on stage, the other guy a lot less so. But he is confident, and has way more experience than me on the clinical side.

Have any of you worked double shows like this? What are the problems? The advantages (if any!)?

All help and suggestions appreciated.
Jesse Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Jesse Lewis
The only thing to remember is to not get into a contest with the other hypnotist. Things escalate quickly when you compete and sometimes that is a bad thing. I suggest working everything out with the other hypnotist before hand. who does what where and when.

Jesse
Learn how to build a bigger business at www.showbizsuccesssecrets.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19760 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have seen this idea before, and unfortunately it has always fallen flat. It is a bigger deal for the hypnotists than for the audience. Good luck with it Tony.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I personally can't think of a worse idea at least for me. a) you have split your fee b) as Danny has said the show isn't about the hypnotist its about the audience. I would hate to have someone stage who has a lot of clinical experience but little stage because chances are he will be boring as hell. Plus you just don't need it! Why? Why?Knowing how Tony's contranrian mind works he will now probably have four on stage now! Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19760 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Without attacking anyone I fail to see the need for it theatrically. As was said it is about the audience. The hypnotist is mostly in the way anyhow. Having another would not help the show in my mind.

That is just one opinion. I am sure there are other opinions, and all are valid.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
MP, you know me too well!

Danny, I acknowledge that you are most likely right. The guy is a nice guy, a friend, and wants experience - and is a better promoter than me. I will make it work, but I know one on the stage is the ideal. Accepting that this is the situation, I was hoping someone might have encountered the situation and have some insight. It will not be a battle of the hypnotists, more a cooperative show.

Part of the attraction (aside from the wonderful promotion he has done) is that I love being outside my comfort zone. And I will be...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19760 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The question is if the audience enjoys seeing you outside that comfort zone.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
The only purpose of being outside your comfort zone is to expand into a place you want to be and is useful. If he wants experience then he should put on a show and do it himself that's the only way to get real experience.

Its not like your jumping out of a plane strapped to each other....or is it? But I'm sure it will be the start of a beautiful relationship Smile
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Guys, if the promotion goes as planned I will need an extra trousers for all the cash on the night.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9570 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I have seen this several times here in Vegas and even from several former members here, and personally I never found it interesting, appealing or entertaining. I even heard remarks from the audience during and after the shows to the same thought.

To me this has always been one of those things that hypnotists thinks is better than it is and sounds better on paper than it plays in reality.

More doesn't necessarily equal better or more entertaining.

My question is why? What is the interest or reason (other than from the hypnotists perspective. Performing is supposed to be for and about the audience and/or the client, not the performers.

Maybe things are different over there, and I hope you'll need bigger pockets, but I would be surprised if it goes that way. Keep us posted.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Mindpro, once again I find myself agreeing with you. What is wrong?

I do feel that I could do a better show solo. There is no doubt about that. But as I was asked to take part, and as the other guy seems to know his stuff in terms of promotion, I decided to give it a try. The bottom line is that if the show begins to go wrong, I can bring it back. But I hope I will learn something from the evening, and I hope I make a good fee.

Accepting that this is not an ideal stage situation, did anything work in the shows you saw Mindpro? Or was it all negative?
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
It would be easier waiting outside and mugging him.....
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2014, mindpunisher wrote:
It would be easier waiting outside and mugging him.....

He boxed at world class level. I boxed at village hall level. I think I will stick to my plan.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19760 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
In America we don't mug by boxing. Yet another difference.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9570 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2014, TonyB2009 wrote:

Accepting that this is not an ideal stage situation, did anything work in the shows you saw Mindpro? Or was it all negative?

I've seen them both live as well as on DVD, and in my opinion it was flat in all situations. First there was little chemistry or true planning, rehearsal or true coordination between performers. It seemed like one did their thing, and the other did their thing, and then the two of them TRIED to do something together which was of no consequence. Much like a "jam" or open mic night where it's very unstructured and casual.

It was all very loose and free-formed feeling, rather than a structured, well planned, rehearsed and polished coordinated effort. Here's the main thing...As a performer there are many dynamics at play all at one, which together create a successful performance. On a most basic level, a performance is introduced, begins and gains momentum as it progresses. A good performance should be a journey for the audience from point A to point B. In many ways this is soooo easy to do for a stage hypnotist just by the nature of our process - a brief introduction, maybe audience testing, selection of volunteers, induction, deepening, basic group routines, more feature or showcase routines, the big climax and perhaps post-hypnotic suggestions, bring them back "out" of "hypnosis" and dismissal of volunteers. Just by that progression the foundation is there to gain momentum and create the journey for the audience. In the multiple performer shows I've seen this momentum is A.) broken with the switching of performers, and/or B.) never established.

It's not like standup comedy where there is an emcee or first comic who is okay to decent, a feature who offers a solid 20-30 minutes, and then followed by a headliner that kills for 45-60 minutes. There seems to be no flow between performers, no momentum, no overall show dynamic. It's not like you can have a suckie hypnotist, a decent hypnotist and then a great hypnotist, it doesn't work. It just plays flat to the audience.

Also, I truly believe it is extremely confusing to the on stage volunteers participating - different voices, different command structure, different styles, different acceptance. I've just yet to see it work well.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
The other thing is a show normally develops in that the hypnotist if he/she is any good will focus in and see things in the volunteers that can be exploited or expanded upon. When you have two people that will get screwed up and sketches things that happen off the cuff will never be allowed to grow to the extent that makes a really funny and unique show.

Right now I am working with another consultant with a few business people. Its screwing things up for the same reason above. I would be much more effective on my own but found myself in a similar situation to you Tony. he opened a door which he couldn't take advantage of I was able to now he trying to ride my coat tails and is messing it up. I won't be doing again though.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Thanks guys. I am beginning to feel nervous now!
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Stage fright mp3s below lol.....You'll get by so long as you get paid. If there is a good turn out learn from the other guys promotion.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
The show was last night. It was great fun, and the audience loved it. But the promotion was a failure - we drew a small crowd.

For those contemplating this sort of madness, here is how it went down. We had a bit of banter at the start, which worked out better than I might have imagined. We used a lot of my own lines, and the audience lapped it up. A simple hand lock on the audience, then we called for volunteers. We got ten, after a bit of a struggle.

As the other guy had organised and promoted the show, and as he needed the experience, I let him handle the induction. It took him around eight minutes, which was far too long. It was a country audience and he held them, but I had words about that afterwards. He got four very good subjects out of the ten. I would have expected to have completed the induction in three minutes or so, and got seven or eight, but the four were great.

The skits went very well, but at one point he ran out of ideas (no surprise - his first show) and I handled the last twenty minutes, bringing the show to a good climax.

It was good to step out of the comfort zone, even if it did not line my pocket the way I hoped. However we got booked for a major festival in September, a corporate Christmas party (the CEO was one of our four), and an inquiry for a charity event next month. So not all that bad. Thanks for the input everyone.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Great to hear it went well and you got a couple of bookings? Are you doing them together?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Tag Team Hypnosis (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.38 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL