The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking Pants/clothes ect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Iron Butterfly
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Iron Butterfly
I would put it out to you guys.

I got into comedy magic busking because of clowning. I purchased my original costume through Mooseberger. She made a great costume that I still use today. I got the costume in 04/05 and it is fairly worn and faded. I love the pants because of its pocket space. I can fit tons of stuff for loads. The problem is I want a different look.

I am looking for comfortable pants for warm weather that can hold items for loading. I remember seeing shorts/pants a while back here on the forums but cant find the thread.

Any leads, ideas, thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I am also looking for a new hat as well...I should say a different hat from the one I wear at present.

Thanks
tom hughes
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of tom hughes
Sounds like you need to contact Bobby Maverick at www.buskergear.com
http://www.ashevillemagic.com
http://www.themagictomshow.com
magician/magic show in asheville w.n.c.
Iron Butterfly
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Iron Butterfly
Thanks. I saw that some folks had delays and fears about their orders with this company in another thread. the clothing was quality but the communication was lacking.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
I'm a big fan of cargo pants, plenty of pockets. Especially for all that cash!!!!!!
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
" a different hat from the one I wear at present." So, what's your present hat. I mean, the type, not the amount of donations!!
The presentation makes the magic.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13348 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Personally, I think cargo pants are ugly. We need to think of more than "what clothes have the most pockets".
Cargo pants are definitely the "mullet haircut" of pants.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
You cut me Frank. You cut me deep.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Instead of pockets you may find some big mobile phone holders or small pouches that you can thread onto your belt.
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
What ever happened to fanny packs? Those are great.
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
450 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
Cannot resist throwing my opinions:

Fanny Packs-hate the way they look, but understand their handiness. I say okay only if they are integrated into your attire otherwise you end up looking like a nerdy tourist.

Cargo pants/shorts-Love 'em, the way they look and being able to work out of the pockets. Need to go with a baggy top too or the look won't work. There are quality cargo pants that appear quite stylish.

Pouches on Your Belt-this can also scream "nerd" or "square" if overdone. You don't want to appear like a wanna be Batman, cop or geeky techno handyman. Mask them with an untucked loose shirt.

That ends my stint as Mr. Fashion for the day!
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
I like being a nerd.
Smile
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Inhumaninferno: thanks for your contribution. I was watching a 'reality' show on TV recently and was fascinated at all the belt pouches they had on. I think Army fellows do likewise.
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2014, inhumaninferno wrote:
Cannot resist throwing my opinions:

Fanny Packs-hate the way they look, but understand their handiness. I say okay only if they are integrated into your attire otherwise you end up looking like a nerdy tourist.

Cargo pants/shorts-Love 'em, the way they look and being able to work out of the pockets. Need to go with a baggy top too or the look won't work. There are quality cargo pants that appear quite stylish.

Pouches on Your Belt-this can also scream "nerd" or "square" if overdone. You don't want to appear like a wanna be Batman, cop or geeky techno handyman. Mask them with an untucked loose shirt.

That ends my stint as Mr. Fashion for the day!

I appreciate the advice, so lay it on me bro!
Here's what I want - a place to ditch and take stuff out I don't have to struggle to find and don't have to look at. The attire is a vest which fits well and is buttoned. Formal pants and a belt. Long sleeve shirt, sleeves rolled up and a tie. No table.

I absolutely don't want an apron-style. I'd consider an under the armpit holster.

With that in mind, a fanny pack I can leave open and which holds its shape is doable. The strap doesn't show and I can ride it around so it sits almost over my back pocket. A belt pouch would do I suppose, but I haven't seen any with the room you get with a fanny pack. I'm not carrying much - rope for Fiber Optics, cards, a few coins and a TT/silk. I can find everything by feel.

Them's the conditions. Wise me up.
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Cellini has on his first DVD and I believe in his lecture notes a pair of pants that he uses. I purchased a pair of pants that was a couple of sizes bigger and then went to several places to price how much it would be to have the pockets added. The cheapest was $15.00 Per Pocket! So, for 8 pockets the total was $120 and I had to supply all the materials. Needless to say I am still looking.

The reason for my saying this is that Cellini has 2 pockets in the front and 3 in the back on each side. Sizes vary for the back pocket, and the front were about 7.5 inches wide and like 8 or 9 inches deep. I don't remember the back ones.

But to have them made is going to be expensive.
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
450 Posts

I am familiar with Cellini's pockets from the videos. For quality tailoring $15 per pocket is quite reasonable. Though I would make sure I had the work done on a superior pair of pants/slacks that were to only be worn during performance. I would get two pairs and have them both rigged up. Treat a skilled tailor/seamstress like gold-it is a talent which is becoming more scarce.

For Writeall: don't be a slave to a look. Meaning that you could wear the vest unbuttoned and have a topit or two put in. If not done already, make or have the pockets made into real functioning pockets (many vests have faux pockets). The topit could feed to the pockets. There are tie topits. Tommy Wonder had his cummerbund set up for ditching. Depending on your vest length, it may be possible to set up a narrow rigid pocket for the inside front of your pants. Just thinking out loud.

With your look, I don't see much of a problem with a "fanny pack" worn on the front, side or back as long as the color matched your attire. A plus is it does not sound like you will be overloading it. Having it bulging/overstuffed is unsightly.

I think the pack would be fine for you, plus you are already accustomed to it.
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
Listen up Gents!!!!

I can't recommend enough, how learning to sew has been one of the most useful things in making me a much better magician.

Honestly lads......a good sewing machine & the skills to use it, opens up HUGE possibilities.

Pockets that are just the right place, with a bit more of an opening to provide a superb pocket ditch for coins etal......experimenting & putting topits in your vests coats that are just right for you.......dividers in my pockets for deck switches...etc etc

The Egg Bags I make for myself are perfect for me.

From Séance clothes to devils hankies.....the stuff you buy at magic shops is usually inferior quality. Do-it-yourself and you can use top quality material with extra stitching that will work & last much longer. And often at a far cheaper price.

Can't recommend enough the Art of Sewing as a skill to make you a better magician.

And as a Bonus......the ladies LOVE a guy that can sew Smile

Nelson
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
450 Posts

Right on! If you have the time and desire, it makes a big difference. A great skill to have.
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2014, Stperformer wrote:
Listen up Gents!!!!

I can't recommend enough, how learning to sew has been one of the most useful things in making me a much better magician.

Honestly lads......a good sewing machine & the skills to use it, opens up HUGE possibilities.

Pockets that are just the right place, with a bit more of an opening to provide a superb pocket ditch for coins etal......experimenting & putting topits in your vests coats that are just right for you.......dividers in my pockets for deck switches...etc etc

The Egg Bags I make for myself are perfect for me.

From Séance clothes to devils hankies.....the stuff you buy at magic shops is usually inferior quality. Do-it-yourself and you can use top quality material with extra stitching that will work & last much longer. And often at a far cheaper price.

Can't recommend enough the Art of Sewing as a skill to make you a better magician.

And as a Bonus......the ladies LOVE a guy that can sew Smile

Nelson

Yes! Yes! Do for yourself. Few years back got 1950's model Singer machine, basic no frills. Makes all the difference when something needs repair or customizing whatever.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13348 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2014, NYCTwister wrote:
You cut me Frank. You cut me deep.

LOL. Sorry
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
513 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Stperformer said it, sewing/tailoring is a gold skill to have as a performer...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking Pants/clothes ect (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL