The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mystery Box (New Version) by John Kennedy (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
EddieM
View Profile
Regular user
Experienced but only
172 Posts

Profile of EddieM
FINALLY! It's back and with some improvements. I know that John's original mystery box was unavailable since last year because he was busy working on this new version.

Price: $69.50

A card is freely chosen and signed by a spectator, then shuffled back into the deck. Say, "I'm going to find your card in less than 5 seconds without even looking at the cards!"

Hold the deck behind your back for a few seconds, then bring it out and say, "I found it! And guess where it is?" Point to the small box that has been on the table as you claim, "It's inside the box!"

This seems completely impossible because the box has been in full view the entire time, and no one has touched or even gone near the box!

Pick up the box and bring it towards the spectator, saying "Please remove the lid." When he takes off the lid he will see a folded card inside. Dump out the folded card and place the empty box on the table. Unfold the card and watch the shock when he realizes that it is indeed his signed card!

This latest version uses a modern pagoda style box with many new features...

The box is made from impact resistant ABS and built to last a lifetime. It has a stylish two tone black and gray color scheme.
It's smaller and sleeker than the previous versions, yet has the same space inside for the folded object.
The precision gimmick is customizable. Any playing card, money, or written prediction can appear folded up inside the box.
The folded item looks real because it is real. The gimmick allows you to use real cards, real money, etc. instead of a printed fake. The "3D" folded look is perfect in this new version!
The box has the most precision hidden gimmick we've ever built and can be completely examined with no clue to the mystery.

Mystery Box comes with a folded Bicycle® playing card gimmick inside. The instructions teach you how to quickly and easily replace it with any folded card, money, or prediction insert.

In addition to the Mystery Box card routine, John Kennedy teaches you two more full routines:

Prediction Mystery Box - Any thought-of person, place, or thing is predicted on a folded slip of paper inside the small box!

Money Mystery Box - Place a small box down on the table. Borrow a dollar bill (or any paper money) from a spectator and have him sign it with a magic marker. Fold it up as you ask, "Is this the dollar bill you gave me?" When he confirms, say "Thanks!" and put it in your pocket.

Continue, "You can have your dollar back, or you can trade it for what's inside the box." Point to the box resting on the table. Whatever he chooses he's in for a shock... Slowly reach over with your empty hand and bring the box over to the spectator. "Please remove the lid." He does so and sees a folded bill inside. Dump it out and let him unfold it - it's his signed bill!
- EddieM
Lee Smith
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Lee Smith
Always been a fan of the effect. Can't wait to see one of these.

Exciting.

If it really is a big improvement on the old version which I loved. Then this could be a game changer.
www.walkaboutmagic.com
www.facebook.com/walkaboutmagic
Effects.
STEP SYSTEM vol 1&2, iCandy, iPhone 10, strike 2.2 and lecture notes. All available on my site.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Love the customization capabilities. Shame it is butt ugly.
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1050 Posts

Profile of tdowell
With all due respect to Mr. Kennedy and his new and "improved" Mystery Box, in my opinion this is no improvement. I love the original wood Mystery Box (both versions one and two) and it continues to be my regular "go to" signed card to box. I have both the regular wood box and one in exotic paduk. Both look very simple and beautiful.

This new plastic version looks cheap, strange, and proppy, something from a children's magic kit. Improvement? What is there to improve from the old version? I have performed the effect with the original box hundreds of times and NEVER been questioned about whether the card in my hand was the same one from the box. I hand the box out to be examined every time and no one has ever figured it out. Nothing but stunned looks on spectator faces.

Sorry, but I didn't see any problems with the old version. I guess if the "customize" feature is that important, then you can match your performance alongside your child's plastic color cube mystery.

Buy up the last of the exotic wood versions while you still can folks.
Sashac
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Sashac
I did not have the original one but continuously heard it was AMAZING. I must say, this is the ugliest box I have ever set my eyes upon.
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1015 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2014, tdowell wrote:
With all due respect to Mr. Kennedy and his new and "improved" Mystery Box, in my opinion this is no improvement. I love the original wood Mystery Box (both versions one and two) and it continues to be my regular "go to" signed card to box. I have both the regular wood box and one in exotic paduk. Both look very simple and beautiful.

This new plastic version looks cheap, strange, and proppy, something from a children's magic kit. Improvement? What is there to improve from the old version? I have performed the effect with the original box hundreds of times and NEVER been questioned about whether the card in my hand was the same one from the box. I hand the box out to be examined every time and no one has ever figured it out. Nothing but stunned looks on spectator faces.

Sorry, but I didn't see any problems with the old version. I guess if the "customize" feature is that important, then you can match your performance alongside your child's plastic color cube mystery.

Buy up the last of the exotic wood versions while you still can folks.

I have to agree , I purchased the Orignal Wood version years ago , and still works fine , can't say this new version brings any improvement to the table
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
The customization, to me, brings much to the table and is a significant improvement for those who would like to use it for multiple items, such as cards, bills, billets, etc...

The look is another matter. Plastic may not have the appeal of wood, but - to me - it doesn't automatically follow that it is then cheap, strange or proppy. I do find it less attractive than the wood one, though, but I don't look at it and think "ugly". I've seen much worse Smile It is not as elegant as the original, but as it is now I doubt that would weigh terribly into my own decision to buy or not.

Wonder why he went with plastic over wood?
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Man am I glad I have my wooden box. This looks awful.
MagiChrisMitch
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of MagiChrisMitch
Not a fan of this design and it looks very junky as compared to the original and exotic wood versions. Sorry, but sticking with mine that I've had for years. I always look forward to John's new releases, just will be passing on this one.
John Kennedy
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of John Kennedy
I've read this thread and decided that I should "explain myself."

The Mystery Box has been on the market for many years and I have made occasional improvements over the years. The biggest request has always been a "replaceable gimmick" so that users could choose their own brand of playing card, money, etc.

The problem I always had was the precision of the gimmick (hundredths of an inch instead of thousandths). This is largely due to wood, which constantly "moves" and has limited precision.

I decided to try an injected box so I could achieve greater precision. After multiple designs, I really liked the modern pagoda look in a two tone black and gray. I'm very pleased with the new box. That said, I understand the charm of wood and I anticipated negative feedback from some. I still have wooden boxes for sale (original Mystery Box gimmick), and the Collector's box is a gorgeous pagoda style box if that's what you're looking for.

That said, the new box is a very attractive and modern pagoda style. I have attached a side-by-side photo (from my phone, sorry) showing the new box alongside the standard Mystery Box II. For those of you who like wood, you will prefer the wooden box. But the new box made in ABS is by no means cheap. It is very solid and the new precision gimmick is fantastic.

Interestingly, I have gotten more positive comments from the new box, especially from women who say how "cute" it is!

Hope this helps - you decide!

John Kennedy

Click here to view attached image.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I have Mystery Box I and Mystery Box II. Use them every show. I'm by no means a wood fanatic but it's nice because it's a basic look that doesn't draw suspicion. I'm sure the new one is high quality all around but it looks like a cheap Tenyo item. I'm all for a more precise plastic model but this would never have been a design I would have even considered.
tdaube
View Profile
Loyal user
Nevada
229 Posts

Profile of tdaube
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2014, emyers99 wrote:
I have Mystery Box I and Mystery Box II. Use them every show. I'm by no means a wood fanatic but it's nice because it's a basic look that doesn't draw suspicion. I'm sure the new one is high quality all around but it looks like a cheap Tenyo item. I'm all for a more precise plastic model but this would never have been a design I would have even considered.

emyers99, So would you have copied the wood box design or do you have another design in mind?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I'm not a natural wood fanatic when it comes to magic props, but I really like the new look of the plastic model. In today's world, it is all plastic for everything in everyday life. Plastic is the norm today.

Nice box Mr. John Kennedy, your magic is top notch as always. Must have set you back quite a lot to have that mold made for the magic community. ABS is the toughest plastic material available. You can drop it pound on it and it is very hard to break. I suppose if you drop a wrecking ball on it, it would break, though it can be ground up in a plastic grinding machine.
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1550 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
Glad I still have my wooden box as well. The new one does look like a tenyo item.
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
------------John Dream------------If you can Dream it, you can Do it!
1317 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
If it was only black... maybe... but I really prefer the old wooden box.

A great item!!!

Best,
John
Presentation is everything!

If you can Dream it, you can Do it!

The eXtreme SVENPAD Supreme eBook
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
...but it looks like a cheap Tenyo item.

To whom? To spectators? They don't know Tenyo from Jack Squat. They do know that a card, impossibly, came out of the box.

I do prefer the look of the old one, but in this case - to me, and in the case of this particular effect - its not much of an issue. John says he's had positive comments on it.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
What a shock that the creator says he's had positive comments on it.

Hey, just my opinion. If you like it, go buy it. To me, the look screams "i'm gimmicked".
MagiChrisMitch
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of MagiChrisMitch
The bicycle black tiger deck would pair well with this new box.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Maybe it would be possible to make a plastic one (for precision and the customization feature) that looked like dark wood? Heck, most of the houses in my neighborhood are made out of fake wood.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2014, emyers99 wrote:
What a shock that the creator says he's had positive comments on it.

Hey, just my opinion. If you like it, go buy it. To me, the look screams "i'm gimmicked".

Ah, I didn't realize John was lying. Good to know, I guess.

As for the box, it screams only if you choke it Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mystery Box (New Version) by John Kennedy (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL