The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Al Schneider's One Cup and Three Balls routine (27 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2014, pabloinus wrote:
Actually Jonathan, IMHO opinion, here is the right place, the OP brought the link just to say ...

I respect your opinion. In this case I disagree. From Al himself:
Quote:
The false transfer should be invisible to the audience and should be presented so the audience is aware of a transfer subliminally, so to speak. My words did not carry a lot of weight. So, I decided to make a demo of what I meant. One of the things I strongly believe in is the power of glancing at the audience at the moment of deception. I set out to do three false transfers in a row and blantly use the glance to show this technology. I could have used coins but I chose to use a cup routine thinking 3D objects would be more visible. So, I set up the sequence with three vanishes. I planned to put the routine on Youtube as a vehicle for presentation
and
Quote:
I presented that routine to make the point about false transfers in that other thread. Subsequently, several had to disect and analyze the routine explaining to the members here what it was all about. I did not welcome that. I just wanted to stress the importance of looking at the audience at the moment of transfer.

Had I known Al's intent was to demonstrate the importance of looking at the audience when doing transfers ... anyway here we are.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Jonathan, Al's comments were in response of your post, not in response of the OP comments or follow on comments. But as you said here we are ... Again

As I mentioned before I saw this routine in the coin thread and because I have not seen any other 1 cup and 3 balls routine I wanted to learn it, so I bought Al's book.
I liked the routine a lot and has a lot of useful information and details that you could apply to other props. in my opinion it is very nice routine that teaches good techniques.

on top of that you get a lot of chapters on takes and vanishes techniques, win-win
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
781 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
I too have never seen anything constructive from Mr.Townsend.Condesending, bitter , and confusing yes,But not constructive.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Mr. Schneider and Mr. Townsend have both contributed iconic effects to conjuring, and coin magic in particular. It's worth it to listen to both of them, even when they disagree. Enough said.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

It's one thing to disagree. Its something else to publish without citing prior work in the field and something entirely other to be disagreeable about it.

You can't unring a bell
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Jonathan, you are too cryptic, what is your statement about?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 17, 2014, pabloinus wrote:
Jonathan, you are too cryptic, what is your statement about?

The importance of propriety.

Sometimes we refine things down to a beautiful design at the expense of robustness in function.

We includes me

Al's article is scheduled for genii according to the Richard Kaufman.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Hi Pablo,
There's a thread over at genii, geniimagazine.com about the Schneider routine. It was likely started by the same guy who posted at the Café.
The publisher of genii magazine, Richard Kaufman, posted that an article is due in the May issue.
have a good afternoon,
jon
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Thank you, I will read it
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Here you go: http://www.forums.geniimagazine.com/view......&t=44242
can't do this cut paste w urls on my phone. One of the posts above was meant as a private message. been a rough day.

here's the working definition of propriety. That would have gone into the post if typed at a PC. Not sure this kind of wordplay exists in other languages where you use the collection of meanings and have the reader get a feel for which ones to weigh more heavily.

Anyone tried the routine for an audience on their own? Even just the "into the cup" part to see how that works in your own performance.

Smile

Jon
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
See that horse lying over there? I don't think that beating it is of any use at this point.
AKMan
View Profile
New user
Covington, WA
56 Posts

Profile of AKMan
This thread sent me to my bookshelf to dust off my 1975 edition of Al’s work, “Al Schneider on Coins”. It’s gratifying to see the deep thought Al put into his magic back then and to realize that, based on his early precepts, his magic today is of the highest caliber. It appears that he has reprinted this work. I highly recommend it. Chapters one and two will make you see his cup and balls routine in a whole new light. ~Jon
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
718 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
Nice demonstration of technology on that video. I am going to buy that book on Amazon. :o)
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
IBM Ring 216 Silicon Valley
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
I loved it, Al.
Keith
SHAZAM!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
IMO, this is a very very important routine to study. Hence my post; to bring it back to the top.

I spent a lot of time studying the works of Jon Ramsay and John Carney.
They were immensely valuable.
This routine reminds me of the same concepts to direct attention, making simple sleights perfectly effective.

It seems to me that the current lot of magicians have ignored these ideas and have veered off track towards "juggling and speed".
Unfortunately, those flashy sleights shown on video trailers are the same ones that sell DVDs because they lure magicians.
I'm often impressed but rarely fooled by them. I also see a lot of flashing involved when watching them in person.

These sleights, as demonstrated by Al, are the real secrets of magic... the ones where nothing at all happens.

It's a shame that very few seem to understand the value in techniques that go completely unnoticed.

Am I wrong?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Could not agree more. a sleight should not only be "unnoticed" but be of the "never happened" part of any story told after.

Additionally, it is the attitude or fear of the performer that the sleight might be noticed that creates the suspicion.

It is lack of practice to the point of automaticity that leads to exposure and failure of the effect to produce the desired "must be magic" response.

Consider Al Schneider's instructions of how to practice the feel of a nonexistent coin in your hand. How many do this?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I've watched just about every cup and ball routine I can find and this one completely fried me. THIS is what real magic looks like.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The routine is perfect in every way, it is not to long, someone expressed it was to long for them to get to the finale. Just as in speech technique, looking directly at your audience is a very strong misdirection technique. It worked very well in this video. I really come to the conclusion that some tricks could not be on video, but Al Schneider has proved that theory totally wrong. Someone mentioned that the routine was not very magical, have to disagree, every minute something magical is happening.

I leaned of Al Schneider many many years ago. He is a famous, "underground" expert on close-up magic. His material has always been of the highest caliber, so much so, that not many even attempt to learn his routines, because it does have to be learned and practiced for many weeks to get it to the presentation point.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Regarding - "someone mentioned it took too long..."
Who cares. This is not a performance trick, it's a trick for study and analysis about how magic works and why you should study this technique.

Regarding - "someone mentioned it was not very magical..."
Who cares. This was not done with the intent of making eye-candy. It was done to prove a point.

Those that find fault with this or don't like this are completely missing the point.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hmmmm….Not sure how I might've missed all this??? Some interesting comments and observations.

As to the magic, it was very simply put and just as very well done. For me, less is always so much more and as such, "Liked it a lot!" and worth checking out again and again as to the beautiful subtleties, timing, and technique. Smile

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvE0gTouogg&feature=player_embedded
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Al Schneider's One Cup and Three Balls routine (27 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL