The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mental Deceptions DVDs (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Rick Maue
View Profile
V.I.P.
Pittsburgh, PA
586 Posts

Profile of Rick Maue
Greetings,

Today, I read the review that Peter Duffie wrote for my “Mental Deceptions” DVDs (in the April 2014 issue of MAGIC). As I told him in a personal message, he made them sound so good that I almost bought a set. Smile

With that said, I just wanted to publicly thank Peter for his very kind words.

Keep the change,
Rick
Check out what is happening at Deceptions Unlimited

www.deceptionsunlimited.com
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I didn't read it, but I'm sure every word is true. Your stuff is gold. You know the band is always ready to back you up.

Greg

Click here to view attached image.
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Rick Maue
View Profile
V.I.P.
Pittsburgh, PA
586 Posts

Profile of Rick Maue
Thanks so much, my friend. And please tell the band that I have become very attached to them. Smile

Keep the change,
Rick

dzen871
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of dzen871
It's a great set - well worth kind words!
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Rick:

It is a fine DVD set, and helps us to wrap our imaginations around what we have read from you.

Months ago, we heard that you and Banachek were producing a DVD project what would feature Teresabos, among other effects. Do you have a projected release date for that?

It is great to see you post again on the Café. Is this a sign that your health is rebounding?

George
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I have to say that I picked this set up, along with another one during the recent L&L "two for one" sale. I was actually significantly more interested in the other set -- and Rick's was more of an "I've heard of this...why not?" addition. Besides I'd seen him lecture at MindVention, and liked his ideas.

The first set was a plodder...no new ideas and tedious explanations of methods most of us can figure out from just watching the routine.

So I popped "Mental Deceptions" into my computer without any really high expectations.

You know that old Memorex commercial -- the one where the guy is sitting in an easy chair in front of a stereo and the music is so loud that it's blowing back his hair and his scarf? That was sort of the feeling I got looking at this series. I sat there and watched effect after effect and kept smiling at the utter simplicity of method and sledgehammer impact they had on the audience.

Admittedly -- much of the material is, on the surface, the kind of stuff I don't do. I don't care much for "gee...isn't THAT a coincidence?" variety of effects. There are a lot of those on these two DVDs. Coincidence and "Look what I influenced you to do" effects feel sterile to me and lack an emotional hook. I don't like poker chips as props and I don't like card based effects. (Not because of any thought that a mentalist shouldn't be using either...I'm just sick to death of both from my years in magic.) And there are a LOT of effects that feature them on this set.

But let's be real for a minute here. Who buys DVDs looking to copy directly what's presented on them? For me, the most valuable application of any teaching is in the IDEAS presented -- and ways that I can use these ideas to do what I do BETTER. And Maue has a LOT of wonderful ideas. He's an idea factory and nearly every one is a jewel. The things he shares are easily adaptable to a broad variety of effects and wide open to customizing...the re-purposing of concepts. If you walk away from these two splendid DVDs unchanged and NOT charged with excitement, you may want to check your creative pulse. My mind is churning...and I like that feeling very much.

I am reminded of the power of the m*ltiple o*t principal...and the many forc*s a performer can do and much more. I got splendid thoughts about the creative processes, for respectful treatment of audiences. I saw behind the mind of a man who is able to transform a coin envelope into the basis of a miracle.

And the vast majority of these powerful routines require nothing more than a trip to the stationary store. I REALLY like that too.

I knew I'd gotten many times my money's worth near the middle of the second DVD. But I didn't know that the real treasure of the collection was still waiting for me.

"The Journey" is a true masterpiece of mentalism: clever manipulation, dazzling deception and brilliantly simple design. It's one of the most powerful routines I've seen anywhere -- packed with emotional hooks and the perfect illusion that free choices are being made again and again. To my discredit, I'd heard of The Journey before -- but had only a foggy notion of what it was about. This is THE kind of blended routine and method you HOPE you're going to find when you pop a new DVD into your world. I'm working on developing it for my show...and I have no higher praise than that to give.

So...I'm late to the party. I think this set came out last year -- but I'm glad I came. And Rick deserves a huge round of thanks from the performing community for the wonderful material, challenging ideas and brilliant VDM (Venus De Milo) methods he's shared.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Jeff Wassom
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jeff Wassom
Best review I've read in some time David. Thanks for such pleasurable reading. =)
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
Rick, your set of DVDs are fantastic to watch. My head was spinning so many different ways afterwards!
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
I agree with all of the above. An excellent set, and loads of ideas to be gained from the effects.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
I agree totally... And the "Journey" is indeed a wonderful piece of work. Unfortunately it did not surprise me anymore as I bought the manuscript already years ago Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1086 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Anything from Rick is a must have, I consider him one of the best thinkers out there and one hell of a great guy, it is why I consider him a good friend and when he calls, I am always ready to listen and help in any way I possibly can if that is what he needs. Great to hear the fantastic reviews but who would expect other wise unless you are not familiar with Ricks work.
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I couldn't agree more. So what about the PK DVD release? How much longer will we be waiting?
gab
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of gab
Every concept in there can go in so many directions!

Mixed emotions for example:
I found a way to extend the method using a slightly different approach. The delicate part in audience management (well principle) becomes automatic. At the end you obviously know who has the chosen emotion but you can feel what it is.

Celebrity impressions:
I found a way to have up to 8 celebrities and know instantly who is who as soon as the paper is read.

Thank you Mister Maue!

pm if interested Smile
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
548 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
This DVD set was one of my favorite purchases last year. I got so many great ideas from Rick Maue, and I hope he puts out more material in the future. Besides the effects, I enjoyed the interviews on the DVDs as well. And to echo David Thiel, "The Journey" is a true masterpiece!
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I hope you are feeling better Rick and I hope you see you again at some of the upcoming events.
Rick Maue
View Profile
V.I.P.
Pittsburgh, PA
586 Posts

Profile of Rick Maue
Greetings,

Thanks to everyone for all of the very wonderful words. All of you have truly raised my spirits.

As for the DVD set that Banachek and I shot, unfortunately, my entire life has been put on hold for an extended period due to my (lack of) health. I am going through additional testing for the rest of April, and I have more extensive surgery scheduled for the middle of May. At this point, I have asked a few friends to assist with the DVDs, but I can't promise anything until we see where the next operation takes us. I will do my best to keep you folks updated on any possible release dates.

Keep the change,
Rick

innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2014, Rick Maue wrote:
Greetings,

Thanks to everyone for all of the very wonderful words. All of you have truly raised my spirits.

As for the DVD set that Banachek and I shot, unfortunately, my entire life has been put on hold for an extended period due to my (lack of) health. I am going through additional testing for the rest of April, and I have more extensive surgery scheduled for the middle of May. At this point, I have asked a few friends to assist with the DVDs, but I can't promise anything until we see where the next operation takes us. I will do my best to keep you folks updated on any possible release dates.

Keep the change,
Rick

I wish you the very best.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
gab
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of gab
I wish you all the best.
(I'll send you my ideas. Hope you like them!)
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
I had the opportunity to spend a few hours with Rick the other day, and what an incredible guy he is. Having said that, I must say: Rick is a cruel man.

When I told him how much I loved Group Dynamic, he told me I had to see the new version. Nothing about how I could see it. Nothing about how I could buy it. Nothing. I had to see the new version. That is it!

Any way, I have the DVDs, and I love Rick's thinking. I love his take on Out of This World. Brilliant.

Thanks for sharing part of your life with me, despite everything you are doing to cling to life.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
Rick Maue
View Profile
V.I.P.
Pittsburgh, PA
586 Posts

Profile of Rick Maue
Thanks, Bobby. It was great to finally meet you.

And as for Group Dynamic...
Next time you're in town, I'll show you the video. You'll love it. Smile

Keep the change,
Rick

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mental Deceptions DVDs (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL