The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Help with leakage (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
My thoughts have been leaking...

Sometimes into other people's lives, sometimes into books that say they were written years ago, and sometimes people forget things about the same time as things pop into my head.

What's happening?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
You're an empath.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
brehan
View Profile
Special user
holland
668 Posts

Profile of brehan
Try band a aid Smile
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Frankly, the original post to this thread is a great opening for a bizarre or mentalist's act.

And it really could hook an audience, given the right setting.

Nice idea!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
Sounds like you are tapping into the world's "collective mind", like a veil between you and what should not be sensed to protect your sanity has been torn...

-Reg {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
PossumSlimm
View Profile
New user
MN
79 Posts

Profile of PossumSlimm
You're going to want to get that looked at....
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

As much as it wants to be seen, it doesn't talk to predicates.
Xia
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
286 Posts

Profile of Xia
A plumber is normally the best option!! Smile
"They say time is money...i say time is precious"
"They say the whole is much more than the sum of its Parts...Thats why a man is much more than the sum of his Past!"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

I imagined dropping in a line, it kept falling for a long time. A day later I heard a voice yell OUCH and lots of swearing. Then it started to snow tomorrow.

* The basic premise of a psychic or 'outsider' character intrigues me. The acting challenge involves building an inner life for the character and something of a back-story. This thread is about exploring what it might be like to live with some sort of perception of other people's thoughts, be they visual, auditory or kinesthetic sensations. the goal here is to get some sort of intuition about what the inner world of such a person might contain, and how they might communicate with people.
cogliostro
View Profile
New user
Tampa
99 Posts

Profile of cogliostro
The idea of perceiving from truly "alien" points of view is always intriguing and always challenging, and if properly conveyed, very impressive.

[I hate to always use cinematic references, but since there are fewer movies than books, it more likely everyone has seen the idea/concept/theme if I use a movie reference. So with that said...]

"Memento" is a movie about a man with no longer term memory, so he can only remember things for about 30 seconds. In order to show this on the big screen the movie is shown in reverse. The first thing you see in the movie is the last thing that actually occurred. Then the movie build to the finale, which chronologically, is the first thing to have occurred. The whole movie is a perfect example of a point of view that is truly foreign - to most of us anyhow.

"Shadow of the Vampire" - The original B&W version "Vinny the Vampire" was a complete rip off of Dracula, with the characters renamed, since the producer couldn't buy the rights to Dracula. This modern portrayal is about the filming of the movie with one twist, the vampire is a real vampire. At one point the vampire explains how the saddest point in the movie is where the vampire has to cook a meal for his living guest. His explanation of how the vampire must feel as he tries to remember how to cook is a wonderful example of an "alien" point of view.

"The Mothman Prophecies" is a mediocre movie about a man who encounters a being he refers to as the mothman. The mothman is trying to help him, and know things he cannot, but because of his alien perspective fails. No real moment of "AH HA!" in this movie, but the premise does directly deal with the "Alien" perspective.

I'm sure there are others. Given the staggering challenge of accomplishing this in front of a live audience, I personally would develop the concept from both ends - kind acting/presentation protrays an alien perspective, and what kind of persepctive do I want to portray.

For example, being an immortal, it was only a century or two ago when I had to be cautious about refering to "New Amsterdam" or the "colonies", as this would have tipped my hand. Of course, now that I've expunged such references from vocabulary, it is no longer necessary, as few people today would recognize them.

The challenge for a psychic would be similar, how to introduce a foreign perspective in front of a live audience without souding vaguely stoned. Be subtle enough so that it sounds natural, yet straightforward enough so that all -- make that most -- of your audience catches on.

Clearly there are no rules that can apply to everyone, but I'd like to hear about anyone who's tried this?

- Rob
aka Count Cagliostro
aka Count St. Germaine
aka Giuseppe Balsamo
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Actually "Shadow of the Vampire" was about "Nosferatu," not "Vinnie the Vampire." I think you are referring to "Varney the Vampire," anyway.

But "Nosferatu" was definitely based upon "Dracula."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
cogliostro
View Profile
New user
Tampa
99 Posts

Profile of cogliostro
My pardon's on a cinematic mis-quote. Perhaps I don't do my best brainstorming while my two-year old attempts to hide little surprises in the VCR. What is it about VCRs that draws them?

I've gone back and read The "Portraying an alien" thread, and that has turned into something very much like what we are discussing here, but with more of the physical approach. (i.e. Watches stop working in your presence, etc.)

How do you focus on the psychological... Hmmm, this falls into the portraying the devil category, and that should definitely qualify as an alien mind set.

======================================
"The basic premise of most belief systems is that we are not alone, that there are higher powers, beings greater than ourselves in the universe. Depending on your specific belief system, this can be God and angels, or enlightened beings, or even aliens. This is easy enough to believe, if there are many creatures less than a human, certainly there must be other creatures greater, more glorious, than a human. And humans believe that these beings desire human worship?"

"Let's examine that premise. Humans are higher being, relative to other creatures. How much more is a human than an insect. A human is like a god in capabilities and comprehension... relative to a bug that is."

"So if humans are gods to insects, could they not use our god like powers to better the existence of a bug."

The magician reaches out, picks up a dead fly, and shows it to the audience. As the magician concentrates on the fly, it slowly starts to move, coming back to life.

"So if the power to bring the dead back to life belong to a mere human, would it use that power on an insect. Woud the human want the praise of spiders and the worship of roaches."

The fly is clearly alive now, and starts to fly away, but the magician clenches his fist tight, crushing the insect.

"I think not."

The fist is opened and dead insect falls to the ground.

"Perhaps the difference between an angel and a devil is merely a difference of attitude."
=======================================

I cannot possibly imagine what kind of effect you would follow that with!

Smile or Smile

Any other ideas folks?

- Rob
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Perhaps Dr. Rothbart's Famous Moth Trick from Chap's Scrapbook. A small piece of paper is torn & folded and, when the maguc lets go, a moth flutters away.

A REAL moth.

IIRC, Ricky Jay did this on TV long and long ago, but the camera work was poor and the effect failed to impress the laypeople who watched as it looked like the little bit of paper just fell off of his thumb and disappeared.

Do this one in real time, with a live audience, and you will get screams.

Just an idea to add on.

Also, some folks will actually complain at the "murder" of the fly in the prior post, so that might not be good audience relations, mon frere! Smile

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

For some reason I recall the moth thing as also being in the Liepzig tribute by Vernon. Nice if you can cary the thing intact.
cogliostro
View Profile
New user
Tampa
99 Posts

Profile of cogliostro
Lee,

I've never done the routine I just decribed, and I would have to EXTREMELY cautious about my choice of audience, but I think my acting is such that people would be more concerned about what I was than what I did to the fly.

The prep with the fly is a hassle, is life any easier with the moth?

- Rob
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Nope. Tougher. But the impact is incredible.

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Lee do you raise moths? Any suggestions for geletin capsules? Particular species? handling tips? I've been interested in using that for the 'two little birdies sitting ... fly away...' routine for YEARS and just haven't a clue how to make it PRACTICAL.

<< this psychotic episode brought to you by >>
xanatos
View Profile
Regular user
Wilbraham, MA
144 Posts

Profile of xanatos
Hello,

The Moth Trick is of great interest to me... I just did a quick search for "Chap's Scrapbook" and the Liepzig tribute by Vernon, and could find none available anywhere... might someone direct me as to a reliable source in which I may find this effect?

And I promise, with me, the moth lives! Smile

Thanks for your assistance,

Dave Xanatos
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Chap's Scrapbook - not sure of a source myself. Check with Cannick and H&R and many of our advertisers on the Café to see if they have one hidden away. It is worth it's weight in gold to ANY performer.

Vernon tribute to Leipzig, same thing. I don't own that one, so I can't help you on it. Sorry, best I can do.

Lee Darow, C.Ht.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Just read a post on migraines. Has anyone published work on how to induce headaches? I imagine this to be a somewhat less than common use of rapport and induction skills, though it seems useful.

Got a headache... give it to someone else Smile

Is a headache a thing that exists independently of the person?

Are my thoughts just guests in my mind?

Are those smiley faces below laughing at me?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Help with leakage (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL