The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The importance of sound quality for kids shows (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Gary, Charlie may want to chime in here as to costs but I have yet to find one for $1000/L600. Since I perform musically also, I have looked at the L2 or is it L3(can' remmember now) but the asking price was $3200. Ouch!! If the L1 is a third of that, I'll have to take another look. Smile
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2014, Michael Messing wrote:
I have owned numerous PA systems over the years and, like Mark (Starrpower), I owned 4 PA's at once. (Mark outdid me by 1!)

In my defense, one of them was by default. I forgot to bring my sound equipment to a show one time, and I really needed it. I was 4 hours from home so there was no way to go home and get it, so I stopped at a pawn shop and bought one! I still have it as a backup.

Then again, one of my "sound systems" is 2 matching powered speakers, but I often only take one so each could be considered a separate system, I suppose.

I would still like to find dependable battery-operated sound. That Samson looks affordable. Lets us know what you find out.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2285 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
[quote]On Apr 10, 2014, charliecheckers wrote:
Quote:
Michael, have you looked into higher end equipment and found the Happy Amp to deliver similar quality?

Yes.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
garydunn
View Profile
Veteran user
Glasgow
303 Posts

Profile of garydunn
Snidini - the system I'm talking about is the Bose L1 Compact. This is the smallest of the 'live performer' systems that bose do. It has a line in, and mic in channels and Ken Scott recommends getting it here:

http://www.jirehsupplies.com/cgi-bin/com......ey=price
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Michael, with all due respect you either have very low expectations for sound, or a tin ear (that, or you're simply yankin' Charlie's chain!). The Happie Amp can't hold a candle to higher end systems, even to the casual listener. And that is coming from someone who owns one.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2014, Starrpower wrote:
The Happie Amp can't hold a candle to higher end systems, even to the casual listener.

I love reading these kind of sayings people use here, only to have to look them up to find the origin. This is what I found:

CAN'T HOLD A CANDLE TO YOU - ".It goes back to Shakespeare's time, before there was any such thing as street lighting. In those days a person returning home from a tavern or theater would be accompanied by a linkboy, who carried a torch or candle. These linkboys were considered very inferior beings, so to say that Tom couldn't 'hold a candle to ' Harry meant that Tom was very much inferior to Harry." From the "Morris Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins" by William and Mary Morris (HarperCollins, New York, 1977, 1988).
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 15, 2014, garydunn wrote:
Snidini - the system I'm talking about is the Bose L1 Compact. This is the smallest of the 'live performer' systems that bose do.

This is the system I have as well. I purchased it several years ago, so I cannot recall the price I paid, but $900 or $1,000 seems about right. I did not think this was too much to invest in a product that should last for years and is such a critical part of my performance.
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Thanks checkers, the candle history lesson is the most interesting thing I have read all day. Always great to learn something new.
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Bose question. What would be a comparable model to the Bose L1, that would have similar portability, at least as good sound or better, and a cheaper price? I have heard the Bose criticisms before - more expensive, less sound quality to cheaper competitors. That is why I have a "Cambridge Soundworks" radio/cd/mps player at home, it has fantastic sound and was cheaper than a Bose. What would be a competitor to the Bose L1?
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2285 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2014, Starrpower wrote:
Michael, with all due respect you either have very low expectations for sound, or a tin ear (that, or you're simply yankin' Charlie's chain!). The Happie Amp can't hold a candle to higher end systems, even to the casual listener. And that is coming from someone who owns one.

Your statement is way too broad. Had you said that Happie Amp can't hold a candle to "some" higher end systems, I would agree. However, I've worked with numerous "higher end" systems and some (rated at the same wattage) are no better than Happie Amp, yet do not provide the portability and flexibility that Happie Amp does. In situations where I need higher wattage or more control of the EQ, I depend on the house system. At my age, I have no intention of building a show that requires roadies to pack in and set up. Happie Amp meets my needs and does, indeed compare to "some" higher end systems.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
I personaly think a natural un amplified voice is the best so unless the room is particularly large I normaly would not use a mix for less than 40 kids

I have used many types of equipment and to be honest as long as the system is not real cheap nasty.
The kids and most adults would not really notice .
Maybe if they heard the two compared they would but at a party ....i doubt it
Though if it makes the performer happier then fair enough
That said I really don't use any music

Phil
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Phil - thanks for the post. It hits on why I started this post in the little darlings section of the Café. I wonder how much it matters to our audiences vs those who are attending a performance such as a corporate event, mentalism, hypnotis, comedy magician etc.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2014, pbj100 wrote:
I personaly think a natural un amplified voice is the best so unless the room is particularly large I normaly would not use a mix for less than 40 kids
Phil

I agree with you completely. For a birthday party I am never amplified. I don't understand people who bring in a microphone for six kids.
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
I have 5 kids and lots of their friends visit .
They think music sounds great played on their phone!
to me it sounds like a bee !
I am talking played through its speaker. They are also happy to have several playing different songs in different parts of the room!

So to me for most jobs as long as it is clear and not continualy dropping out that's fine
Phil
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
And the same kids will sit in front of a 60 inch big screen tv and watch netflix on their phone. Phil, you are probably right that kids don't really care a lot "as long as it is clear and not continually dropping out" it probably is fine with most kids. Parents may notice a bit more though. But I agree with Tony that for most birthday parties microphones are just not necessary.
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
What is a sound system for?
No it is not so our can heard, it is to make you sound good......
just being heard is not enough, if you do not sound good that is as bad as not being heard.

Most of the time that I work with a DJ, the DJ is my wife and partner, so I have more control of my fate.
For a small group I just use my voice, I found that unless I have a cold the sound system is just extra work and not needed. But outdoors, large groups etc…. we have 3 different sized systems.
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2014, MichaelCGM wrote:
Had you said that Happie Amp can't hold a candle to "some" higher end systems, I would agree.

I can accept that. I did make a pretty general statement. The bottom line is, it doesn't have a high quality sound. It has its place. I use it occasionally. I can't say what's good for you or others, we all have to make that decision ourselves.

I have never tried it with a different mic than the ones it comes with; it seems that would defeat the purpose of a self-contained system. I may try it with my Sure wireless mic just to compare sound quality.

Even with all those concession, if you are only going to have ONE sound system I would advise people here to spend more and get something of a higher quality. In the end, it's a fine "extra" system, or something for the birthday party/casual performer.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2285 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2014, Starrpower wrote: I have never tried it with a different mic than the ones it comes with; it seems that would defeat the purpose of a self-contained system. I may try it with my Sure wireless mic just to compare sound quality.

I haven't either, since I feel that I'm getting just enough base and treble to give me the sound I need. I don't use music in my act. I imagine, though, that one can use any programmable wireless, as long as it can be tuned to one of the two channels that Happie Amp offers. I agree, that using a better mic would be beneficial. I also agree that, if one needs to use a wired receiver to go into the Happie Amp, then one is defeating the purpose of the wireless concept. Unfortunately, I've not seen a battery-operated wireless receiver on the market. If anyone knows of one, let me know. Today, I'll be tying into the house system with a wireless headset that is designed for aerobics teachers. It doesn't require a belt pack. It's on the high-end side, so it gives a little better vocal range.

Maybe I’ll try it with the Happie Amp, when I get home and see if it improves the sound. Not feeling well, so will be happy to just get through my show. If I have any energy left, afterward, I’ll let you know what I learn by running through the Happie Amp.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The importance of sound quality for kids shows (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL