We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Question about Gullotine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MichaelOzMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Des Moines, Iowa
234 Posts

Profile of MichaelOzMagic
Hey everyone, I recently acquired a gullotine head chopper. It's very old and it appears to look and work exactly like this one. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VTaKR5D95x8
I'm having trouble with figuring out how the second blade is supposed to stay in place. I hope I didn't say to much. Maybe if this is too much to discuss in the forum PM me.
Thanks,
Michael Oz
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Examine the side(s) of the guillotine carefully. Do you see a small hole drilled into it? If so, a wooden matchstick goes there. Don't use a toothpick- they are too tough and tend to splinter.
patrick1515
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of patrick1515
Some versions use a very basic mechanical cabinet latch to the blade in place.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
It is very similar to the one I build. It probably has a spring loaded detent on each side of the s****d b***e.
MichaelOzMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Des Moines, Iowa
234 Posts

Profile of MichaelOzMagic
Hey thanks everyone! Jim you are right one! That's exactly how it stays! Thank you soo much everyone!
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Now that your problem has been solved, if you plan to perform the illusion rather than just put it in a museum, you might consider rebuilding the mechanism. The matchstick method is a one time only solution, then it has to be secretly reset. A cabinet catch allows you to set up right in front of the audience over and over, so you can do a practice run with a head of cabbage, etc., reset the blade and then go for the real head of a cabbage patch kid.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Question about Gullotine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL