The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris Presents Lubor's Gift by Lubor Fiedler (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4145 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
The boxes are very nice, and I understand the reason for the high price. I'm sure some lucky few will purchase this and really enjoy it.

I think it would definitely make sense to have something in the inner box and use the box trick as a throw-away, just as they appear to do in the demo video. I think it is strongest as a throw-away.

Here's a thought: I think it is Theory 11 that has the mini straight jackets for cards. Place a deck of cards (perhaps the old bicycle deck) in the mini straight jacket. Place it in the inner box. Place the inner box in the outer box. Bring out the box. Talk about how the box was mailed to you by your crazy aunt so-and-so. Point out the postage from Sing-Sing or wherever. Hand the box to a participant and ask them to open it. Ask them to open the second box. Ask them to remove the cards from the straight jacket. Ask them to shuffle the cards. Then, do your best "crazy person theme" card trick. I do one with a card to impossible location from a crazy person's dream. When you finish the routine, place the deck in the straight jacket, place it in the outer box and place the outer box in the inner box. Wait for someone to notice and then insist it was this way all along. Tell them that's crazy. One box can't fit inside the other one minute and then the other box fit inside the first the next minute. Mumble audibly "under your breath": "And I thought Aunt so-and-so was the crazy one." Put the box away.

I haven't purchased it yet, but I'm tempted.

If you have the right routine, this price should not be an issue, IMO.

KJ
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1024 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2014, Bro Gilbert wrote:
Thrilled to finally have this available to all the lovers of Lubor's amazing paradox! As far as durability goes I have been playing with and performing with the Lubor's Gift prototype for a good 6 months and have used it in as many situations as possible. Dozens of shows later I am happy to report that I am using the same Lubor's Gift box and that mine operates perfectly and still looks like new. I have dropped mine, left it in my car overnight, had children with sticky hands dirty it up etc. The laminated nature of the art board allows the sliding to always be precise and to work with just air pressure alone as seen in the demo video, as well if it get's dirtied up at all and you choose to keep it looking brand new, the laminate nature allows you to just take a slightly damp cloth and wipe anything away from the surface of the either box. Another tip, when you receive Lubor's Gift it comes snugged into a third, slighter bigger, actual shipping box. So when I travel with it I just put my Gift Box into the actually packaging box it came in and that keeps it totally protected, this is mentioned on the dvd but wanted others to know that travelling with it in that third protective shipping box is an option as well. Hope this helps and that everyone who has scooped one is having as much fun as I am with it Smile

Bro

Glad to see you here on The Café!
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1051 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Bought it, love it, and worth every penny. There is a real subtlety in the design Lubor gave this version not available in other forms. The vertical and horizontal lines of the inner box in contrast to the postage laden outer, and, the tight fit between the bottom and lid of each box make the illusion much stronger than other designs where the boxes are less contrasting and the "gap" is more noticeable.

I've noticed performing other versions the audience sometimes forgets which box was in the other first, or, they have to be reminded. I never have to comment on this version and everyone freaks when you put the postage box in the other. They know right away. Furthermore, the cardboard construction actually helps sell the effect better because it appears more normal and innocent than plastic props, dice, or strange designs. Nothing against Drebeck Die, but I think the "kicker" ending takes away from the main "astonishment" of the outer fitting into the inner. It turns the effect into a transformation of the inner cube, leading spectators to quickly conclude the boxes must be gimmicked. This look more natural and in my opinion is by far the best version.

Good work, I'm going to buy two before they are no longer made.
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1179 Posts

Profile of caigy
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2014, 1KJ wrote:

...I think it would definitely make sense to have something in the inner box and use the box trick as a throw-away, just as they appear to do in the demo video. I think it is strongest as a throw-away.

KJ

I agree and am scripting something along the lines of, " I am studying an internet mind-reading course and as part of an experiment, asked (?) to send me a thought...this arrived in today's post!".
The inner gift box is removed from the outer post box, then opened to reveal a human brain !!!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190891398526?s......39.l2649
When the outer mail box is placed inside the gift box, I will make a final comment about 'successfully managing to think outside of the box'.

Paul Mc.
Exclusive Worldwide Producer and Supplier of the Grismer Lock.

Top Class, Individually Crafted Performance Pieces, For The Discerning Psychological Entertainer

www.psychicmentality.com
https://virya-uk.com/
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1179 Posts

Profile of caigy
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2014, caigy wrote:
...The inner gift box is removed from the outer post box, then opened to reveal a human brain !!!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190891398526?s......39.l2649

Paul Mc.

Aaargh!!!..the brain has arrived and it is too large!!...A classic case of not thinking inside of the box!!

This aside, Lubor's Gift is beautifully produced, works like a dream and very nicely themed. Highly recommended.

Wanted:

UK Café member willing to trade large brain for a smaller one.

Paul Mc.
Exclusive Worldwide Producer and Supplier of the Grismer Lock.

Top Class, Individually Crafted Performance Pieces, For The Discerning Psychological Entertainer

www.psychicmentality.com
https://virya-uk.com/
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4145 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
OK, I have taken the plunge. In my mind, I have worked this box into one of my favorite routines, and I'm really excited about it!
KJ
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Lubors Gift is discussed in episode 8 of the Merchant of Magic podcast. The team talk about their experience performing with it.

(They also discuss how to loe your magicians diary, collecting playing cards, and getting to a gig and finding out you haven't brought any decks with you.)

Podcast http://blog.magicshop.co.uk/2014/05/magi......ift.html

Other Episodes on iTunes : https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/merc......327?mt=2
dedikc
View Profile
Veteran user
France (Lyon)
335 Posts

Profile of dedikc
Hello All,

In our French Magigazine that review some of the product that are New in the magic Area, we juste review Lubor's gift.

This Episode is in Englich Subtitle, just click on the youtube subtitle button.

Thanks to Murphys to send us this product.

Here's the Vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F72KEOUyrOc

Feel free to ask us what you want to know and to tell us what you Think about our Magazine. It's the number 17, the other are in french now, we try to subtitle it.

If you want to helps us, feel free to contact us: magigazine@gmail.com
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
366 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Quote:
Wanted:

I know of a few Café members who have small brains that they are not using.
Perhaps they would be willing to trade.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10262 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2014, Brad Jeffers wrote:
Quote:
Wanted:

I know of a few Café members who have small brains that they are not using.
Perhaps they would be willing to trade.

Agreed. Start with the scoop master. Smile
Bro Gilbert
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Bro Gilbert
Overwhelmed by the positive response to Lubor's Gift so far and am very happy that Lubor's brilliant invention finally got to see the light of day. Some review shows have seemed to miss the mark on this as of late. This was never marketed as brand new magic concept but rather as Lubor's original Gozinta box concept packaged with logical presentation touches and production value/design that allows the box to be seen close-up and from a large stage as well as slide perfectly every time. Over the years many company's have blatantly stolen Lubor's invention and concept without permission and mass marketed little cheap looking toy boxes and crude larger boxes that don't look, slide or feel anything like the final Lubor's Gift that PH Presents produced. In all cases except for maybe one up until now Lubor has never been compensated for his amazing idea. We stand behind Lubor's amazing invention, Alan Wong's skilled craftmanship and the high price tag that was necessary in order to pull off this small but perfect run of Lubor's classic effect as he intended Smile
148MrSam
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of 148MrSam
Dear all,

I use the Gozinta Boxes (in red and black) in my stage shows and I love it. I also bought it for about £10-£12 (about $15), so the fact that this is $100 or £80 seems a bit over priced for a bit of cardboard. Also, you may think mine are the small ones you could get off ebay, but they are pretty much the same size as the Lubor's Gift boxes. Plus, if I wanted stickers on my Gozinta Boxes, I would just stick them on myself, although I don't want to. However, I do like the idea of putting something like an invisible deck in the box, but once again, I can do that with the ones I currently use.

Sam
Nechto
View Profile
Special user
UK
870 Posts

Profile of Nechto
Hi Sam,

I think the point is that you most likely have one of the rip off versions that Lubor was never asked about or compensated for. I have the Lubor's Gift, for me I am proud to own an official version.

I would pay a higher price for quality and authenticity every day.

Ben
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
I'm thinking of getting this, but have a few questions.

Can the authentic boxes hold a 5 day old puppy? Only with the rip off boxes, if I prep more than ten minutes prior to curtain, the puppy seems to suffocate. And it sometimes gets squished when I put them back together. It's costing me a fortune in puppies.

On a scale of one to ten, how much value do the stickers put on the cardboard boxes?

How much money goes to Lubor Fiedler and how much goes to Paul Harris?
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I have some cardboard boxes spare, if you send me eighty pounds or the equivalent in dollars I will throw in some stickers free of charge. Not sure about the puppies though, kittens are cheaper for practice purposes.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Cheque's in the post, George!
Isaiah
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Isaiah
I have this and use it conjunction with a rope routine (Pavels Yellow rope mystery). I think its a great addition to another trick and adds dimension to an already existing effect that you may preform on a regular basis. When you are a worker, money is not an issue. I could see a hobbyist being turned off by the price. This is a nice puzzle/magic effect that goes great with another astonishing effect. I would recommend this. I use it with music and let the visual effect sink in without words.
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
It's a PUZZLE, not an effect or magic.
Shazam
SHAZAM!
htbast
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of htbast
Just came across this very old video of David Nixon doing this effect on a TV show back in 1972. Skip through to about 4:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu-shT00cwU

He does a couple of other tricks, that I would hesitate to call magic, but fun pieces all the same.

Hope you enjoy
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1299 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Ordered mine and anxiously waiting for it to arrive!

Glen
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris Presents Lubor's Gift by Lubor Fiedler (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL