The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » All Work and No Play... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5015 Posts

Profile of landmark
...makes Jack a dull boy:

"An alcoholic Manhattan court stenographer went rogue, channeling his inner “Shining” during a high-profile criminal trial and repeatedly typing, “I hate my job, I hate my job” instead of the trial dialogue, sources told The Post.

The bizarre antics by Daniel Kochanski, who has since been fired, wreaked havoc on some 30 Manhattan court cases, sources said, and now officials are scrambling to repair the damage.

One high-level source said his “gibberish” typing may have jeopardized hard-won convictions by giving criminals the chance to claim crucial evidence is missing.

Kochanski’s botched transcripts include the 2010 mortgage-fraud trial of Aaron Hand, who was also convicted of trying to hire a hit man to take out a witness against him.

A source familiar with the case said Kochanski’s transcripts of that trial were a total mess.

“It should have been questions and answers — instead it was gibberish,” the source said.

And in a scene right out of 1980’s “The Shining,” where Jack Nicholson’s off-the-rails writer repeatedly types “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy,” a source said of Kochanski: “He hit random keys or wrote, ‘I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job,’ over and over.” "

More here: http://nypost.com/2014/04/03/alcoholic-c......erdicts/
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
That's a good example of why court proceedings should be recorded electronically as well as by a stenographer.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16199 Posts

Profile of tommy
An old friend of mine, Stan Bates, or Master Bates as we called him, a snooker hustler, married a lady who owned the contract business which supplied all stenographers to our courts and became a wealthy a fellow. According to him if the stenographer makes a mistake, then the transcript is wrong and a fellow can win an appeal. It was not worth him doing it, as they would lose the contract and may end up in jail themselves. Some cases are boring and some are not. Some cases are very amusing or fascinating to listen to. I can think of worse jobs than a stenographer. One has to take the good and the bad in anything one does for a living I think. Today, here, they have tape recordings in courts and I am not sure how it works now with regard to stenographers. I think they may not even exist any longer in the way they used to. I have not seen the old hustler for a long time now.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
I was curious if court reporters are now being phased out. I found this interesting article regarding the question that Tommy asked.

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/0......urtroom/
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Even in those courts that use tape recordings, a stenographer is used to make a transcript when one is requested for appeal purposes, etc.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
They're also used to record depositions.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Yes. And, personally, I never had a problem with one regarding accuracy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » All Work and No Play... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL