The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » I got spammed by "The Amazing System" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
My webform on my website just got spammed multiple times by an address that claimed it was from "The Amazing System" The email made accusations that I was a copycat for having my own website form. I didn't know that The Amazing System people owned or created the concept of a website form.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7444 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Maybe, just maybe, it was fake. Someone pretending to be representing "The Amazing System". Did you ask David Farr directly if he did this (it doesn't sound like something he'd do)?

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
It's hard to understand who would be motivated to send the below spams. They seem to be calling me "knock off" and "copy cat" and "you're cheap" because I am not using the amazing system but instead took days to program my own webform. Who would be motivated to do that? And by the way, my webform is not "the amazing system." It's just a dumb webform.

First Name: Amazing
Last Name: System
Email: Knockoff@youcopycat.com
Child’s First Name: YoureCheap

First Name: if you and the
Last Name: amazingsytemyouwouldgetspam
Email: fake@youcopycat.com
Child’s First Name: get spam
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Have you ever joined a webinar with David Farr?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Block that email from coming back to you.:

http://www.wikihow.com/Block-Emails
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7444 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
On this other thread that you started a few months ago, someone suggested the idea of blocking problem IP addresses. Especially if someone is giving a fake email address when they fill out the form, because blocking that fake email address wouldn't accomplish much.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
thekidsmagician
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol
118 Posts

Profile of thekidsmagician
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2014, JamesinLA wrote:
My webform on my website just got spammed multiple times by an address that claimed it was from "The Amazing System" The email made accusations that I was a copycat for having my own website form. I didn't know that The Amazing System people owned or created the concept of a website form.

Jim

I have no way of knowing if the e-mail you received was genuinely from David Farr/Brad Ross/The Amazing System but I would be surprised. In my dealings with Brad over the years, he has always approached things in a very professional way.

(Disclaimer: I don't use the The Amazing System either, like you I use another solution.)

- Mike
Children's entertainer in Bristol - making children look AMAZING! - www.thekidsmagician.com
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I goggled "youcopycat.com" and received no results, it is a spam email and I would say has nothing to do with anything important; if you replied to the spam email, I'm sure they would have asked for money.

I also goggled AmazingSystem.com and the information came up; had you truly received an email from "The Amazing System" I'm sure the email return address would have been "@TheAmazingSystem.com".
bahamagician
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of bahamagician
Howie, because he recieved the email via the form on his website, it doesn't really matter whether or not the email address is legit since the actual email wasn't sent from somebody's email box but instead generated from his website. The culprit could've entered any email address they wished and it would've still went through, even if it was a non-existent email address. Now I'm not saying it was sent from the guys at the Amazing System but at the same time the results of your google search doesn't prove otherwise either.

-=Chris
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2014, bahamagician wrote:
Howie, because he recieved the email via the form on his website, it doesn't really matter whether or not the email address is legit since the actual email wasn't sent from somebody's email box but instead generated from his website. The culprit could've entered any email address they wished and it would've still went through, even if it was a non-existent email address. Now I'm not saying it was sent from the guys at the Amazing System but at the same time the results of your google search doesn't prove otherwise either.

-=Chris

Lately I have been receiving emails informing me that I'm to be evicted; I can't be evicted because I own the house. The return email address is a reputable law firm in the USA.

I called them and they told me that the email is a scam and they scammers have somehow figured out how to make the email look like it was coming from the law firm

the return address is the key to the fraud
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
What is the purpose of these games? How does the gamer profit from it?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Usually it is about money. There are several different ways they can make money.

1. The hacker will send you an email claiming to be part of the government mentioning you owe money, but it is untrue. They want to trick you to send them your money.

2. Key-loggers want you to open a link that secretly installs a "worm" to your computer so they can follow your financial information by knowing your passwords.

3. Hackers send you a link containing a virus. After the virus occurs on your computer they will send you a link of several virus removers you can buy with your credit card, but are really fake.

4. Spammers get paid by a business for sending tons of links leading to a website to have the business well known so you will purchase from them.

It is best not to open any links that seem suspicious. A virus can secretly make it through virus protection software. Some virus protector software programs will remove the virus, but damage is left on your computer. If you do receive a virus it is best to format your computer. I wish the government will make tougher laws for those causing crime over the internet.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Here is a cut & paste of the spam court order I receive. It has a legitimate email address, but Ohio Class Action Lawyers has nothing to do with it and has never sent me an email.

The email asks that I open an attachment, which I will never open

Clerk of court (custservice0274@ohioclassactionlawyers.com)

Add to contacts

Attachment

6:22 PM

To: howie@kids-magic.com

custservice0274@ohioclassactionlawyers.com

From: Clerk of court (custservice0274@ohioclassactionlawyers.com)
Sent: Mon 4/07/14 6:22 PM
To: howie@kids-magic.com

Attachments: 1 attachment |Download all as zip (77.8 KB)
Copy_of_the_court_notice_ER8879.zip (77.8 KB)

Notice to appear in court,

Hereby you are notified that you have been scheduled
to appear for your hearing that will take place
in the court of Jacksonville in May 20, 2014 at 11:45 am.

You are kindly asked to prepare and bring
the documents relating to the case to court on the specified date.

The copy of the court notice is attached to this letter.
Please, read it thoroughly.
Note: The case may be heard by the
judge in your absence if you do not come.

Yours truly,
BROCK Lane
Clerk to the Court.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
The disturbing thing to me about my experience is that it obviously came from someone in the magic community.

Jim
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I wouldn't jump to that assumption, either, Jim. There are clever programs out there that track your movements on the 'net and can create these deceptions. I have gotten scam emails from apparent people/places that SEEM to be from places I have Googled or even accidentally come across. For example, my daughter attends virtual cnline school and my mailbox advertising reflects that, as do occasional scam emails. I am pretty sure public online schools are not scamming me.

I can't say absolutely that someone is not scamming you from the magic community, but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion, either.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
How would a spam-generating robot come up with "amazing system" etc. in the fake names it supplies. I've gotten robot spam before and it's gobledegoop. I can't see how it's not from someone in the community. Who else but magicians would have heard of the amazing system.

Jim
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Are you a member of Facebook?
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Yes
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I don't have that answer, Jim, but I have gotten scam emails that used the names of people I know. I am pretty ignorant of the how's, but I think they can crack people's email accounts and access stuff that way. I guess I am just to trusting or too naive to want to think that someone in our community would do that.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I could deal with Facebook. Bob Sanders and Kyle's information was used requesting money. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=32
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=17 Those thieves will think of anything.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » I got spammed by "The Amazing System" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL