The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Testimonials from actors (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2766 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2014, Caféinst wrote:
What about using actors or actresses in promotional videos, not giving testimonials but hyping up the show? Let's face it. Most magicians are normal-looking men, not Brad Pitt. I would think an attractive actress could increase interest in the act of a normal-looking man. I'm curious what you all think.

I'm just brain-storming. I would rather people select magicians based on their talent, but this is the real world and people are what they are.

I completely agree with the others that a reference letter or a testimonial should be from a real person and not just made up.

BUT, and since you are just brain-storming, think about this:

An actor can still help you by "Recommending Magic" as the entertainment for the event. The fact that the actor doesn't even know you has little to do with him suggesting they hire a magician. A well written ad can do many things for you without being dishonest. Smile

Just something to think about.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10019 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
In this current day and age testimonials virtually fall in your lap if you have a decent show. I agree that most that have problems with this either haven't truly tried, have a sub-par show, or little customer skills or personality.

Between video testimonials, emails, comment cards surveys, feedback reviews, and basic customer service you should get more than you could need. That doesn't even get into letters of recommendation, media quotes or endorsements.

Also it should be stated that there are many kinds of "testimonials" many serving different purposes. The term testimonials is such an umbrella term. If you're going after them make sure they are targeted to what you are seeking - lay audience testimonials, professional testimonials, HR testimonials, parent testimonials, agency testimonials, or specific position testimonials (Principals, Librarian, CEO, planning committee, President etc.)

Markets also play a key role here. If you are serving consumer markets, parents and audience members may suffice, for professional markets it would be much different. All testimonials are not created equal. If a corporate planner sees kids or parent testimonials on your web site it may be negatively perceived to a professional or industry planning representative.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2014, Caféinst wrote:
What about using actors or actresses in promotional videos, not giving testimonials but hyping up the show? Let's face it. Most magicians are normal-looking men, not Brad Pitt. I would think an attractive actress could increase interest in the act of a normal-looking man. I'm curious what you all think.

I'm just brain-storming. I would rather people select magicians based on their talent, but this is the real world and people are what they are.

No one buys a magic show because a pretty girl tells them to. Period. And if they do, they will regret it and no testimonial for you.

As Donald said, an audience member giving a testimonial is a different kind than an actual client. One attests to the quality of the show, the other attests to the hiring process and service (and show quality).

I told you before, go out and perform. If people like you, you WILL be able to get people willing to endorse what you do. If what you do doesn't achieve that, work until it does. There's no need to over complicate it. Work hard and give the experience of magic, the complex tactics will come in time (along with whatever returns). Just film everything you can until then.
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
Close.Up.Dave said, "No one buys a magic show because a pretty girl tells them to. Period. And if they do, they will regret it and no testimonial for you."

I agree, but what about a Sri Lankan jungle dancer? http://www.fiverr.com/funnymad/dance-cra......-message ?

Seriously, I will build my business based on my talent. As I said, I was just brain-storming.

But I am still puzzled by why companies spend lots of money on beautiful models to sell their products and it works, yet nobody does this to sell magician services. Is it the same reason why doctors and lawyers don't use models to sell their businesses? People want a professional?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20427 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Do you see a difference in the two business models? If so maybe the answer lies within that difference.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1079 Posts

Profile of Nash
Testimonials on an independent website will work wonder. They may not believe your testimonial on your own website, but if they read great reviews about you on Yelp, they'll believe that.

And back to the original topic: NO. don't do it man. You will feel dirty for days Smile
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

Corporate event magician
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1067 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
It's dishonest... bad idea!
PRAISE FOR TIM'S BOOK, PERFORM:

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"My favorite book for performers!" Bill Cook

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
Thinking about what everyone said, I came up with the following video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I2xBqPxq-0

No testimonial, but I think it is great use of a skilled actress as a magician's assistant.
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
Maybe next time I'll use the Sri Lankan jungle dancer.
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Weird.....
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10019 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
You seem hell bent on using some kind of a staged person or actor in your video. That was some terrible acting for a "skilled" actress. Very strange, not sure what you were trying to achieve. Certainly not mentalism but rather a trick from my perspective. Most mentalists I know would stay as far away from "cheese" as possible. Looks exacttly like a magician attempting to do what they perceive as mentalism.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
First, Turn your cell phone/flip camera horizontally...

Second, this video has a different purpose than educating someone about your show. This is smaller web content simply for others to enjoy. Don't expect it to book any shows.

If you want a video that can prove what you can do for other people (such as make a birthday party fun), then go out and film that thing. These actors, testimonials, etc. will simply deviate you from your ultimate goal. If you don't know what to offer others in your business, go back to the business drawing board. Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with making small videos of your hobby for others to enjoy. Just don't do it with the expectation of booking a show.
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
Mindpro,

I am not a mentalist; I'm a magician. It wasn't supposed to be mentalism but a fun promotional video. I think most people can figure out how to do that trick. I thought she did a great job.

Close.Up.Dave,

Thanks for the advice with the camera. I don't expect to book a show with the video. It's just a fun thing to do.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10019 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yes, Dave is correct. I guess I was thinking since it was testimonials that was the topic that it was referring to a demo video to showcase you, your services and to sell your show (to generate bookings). It was this that I was referring to.

If you were just looking make a quick, short performance video not expecting bookings or business, but just for fun or to post on youtube, I agree with Dave.

I guess that brings up the point that video can today be used for different purposes. I have one kids entertainer that we book that has his demo on his main page to generate interest and bookings and to showcase his services. Yet deeper into his site he has a page for kids only where he has some clip videos such as this, with an entirely different intent.
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
Mindpro,

If I sent that video to a talent agent, I would expect him or her to burn it. It was just for fun.

It's about generating a web presence. People who might be interested in booking me for a show might google my name and then they'll see the video. The video gives my potential clients a little bit of understanding of what I'm all about.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10019 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I understand that. But I'm confused. A video to send an agent and "to someone who might be interested in booking me" are the same thing? They're both about showcasing you in the name of generating bookings. Is that what you'd want representing you to either? Do you think that those possibly interested in booking you just want to see "fun"?

I certainly would waste prime real estate on my landing page with it. This is not a demo that buyers want to see, that's all I was saying.
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
I meant that there are two parts to a meal, the main course and the dessert. This video is just the dessert.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10019 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Now, I'm hungry...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Testimonials from actors (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.39 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL