The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Vinny DePonto: Charlatan (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doc_Z
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, NY
229 Posts

Profile of Doc_Z
This sounds interesting. Anyone familiar with Mr. DePonto's work?

"Mind-reading mentalist Vinny DePonto's skills are heady stuff in his show 'Charlatan.' Brooklyn magician pits truth against perception in his breathtaking one-man performance."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment......y0opIF00
Bill Brunelle
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of Bill Brunelle
I just got the very last ticket available for tonight's show.
Looks like the Daily News review may have really boosted ticket sales.
Anyone else here going tonight?
Doc_Z
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, NY
229 Posts

Profile of Doc_Z
Let us know how it is! I may try to go some night this week, before it closes.
Bill Brunelle
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of Bill Brunelle
Vinny's show was a breath of fresh air. If you have a chance to see it before it closes this week, I can't recommend it highly enough. He clearly has performing chops, charisma, theatrical background, and a comprehensive knowledge of mentalism and how to keep an audience riveted with it. I'm in a rush to hit the road today and don't have time to write a comprehensive review. However, I'm not sure it would serve anyone to describe the show in too much detail. It would spoil too many surprises.

He has taken his notion that we are being deceived all the time and, in fact, enjoy it, and structured every piece of mentalism to support it. Even his thought reading segment involved everyone in the audience in submitting sealed envelopes with a statement of something that was either the truth or a lie. His job was to not only know the contents but to divine whether the statement was true or false. The set, production values, and venue were great, and his director clearly contributed a lot. His use of live video feeds and touches of magic and even illusions enhanced rather than distracted from the mentalism. He even produced himself at the beginning and did a surprise transposition of himself from the stage to the back of the theatre at the end. But it is Vinny's intelligence, playfulness and charm that carry the day.

Usually I regard seeing mentalism shows as a chore and professional duty. This one was an inspiration and pure pleasure. If you miss seeing it this time, my guess is it'll be back. But I'll bet the next version is going to cost more than the very reasonable $35 this one does.
Doc_Z
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, NY
229 Posts

Profile of Doc_Z
Bill, glad to hear it. Just got my tickets. I only I wish I had heard about it in March when there were $15 tickets.
B.Clay
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of B.Clay
Saw this showearly on as a guest of an online reviewer (who loved it) and thought it was excellent. A full evening not assembled around a random collection of effects, but a clear premise that builds and develops into a very Derren Brown-type (theatrical) climax. This is a rare piece that demonstrated thoughtful scripting and solid direction with the production chops to fully support it as a legitimate work of theatre. Don't know Vinny DePonto. Never met him. But now I'm a fan. Good stuff. This show should move to an extended run.
Regards,
B.
Doc_Z
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, NY
229 Posts

Profile of Doc_Z
This show was pretty fantastic. I agree with the comments from B.Clay and Bill. The real take-away is how important scripting, directing, and structuring your routine can be. He had the audience eating out of his hands for most of the show--especially the reading portion, which is where he really came alive as a performer. From his website, it looks like DePonto bills himself more commonly as a magician than mentalist, but I hope he uses this show to springboard deeper into mentalism. Cool stuff, and I'm glad I caught it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Vinny DePonto: Charlatan (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL