The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wolf of Weed Street (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
It sure buys acquaintances! Smile
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2014, General_Magician wrote:
I've never known anybody who got rich quick and actually kept the money. To my knowledge, most lottery winners who hit the million dollar jackpot eventually lost it all along with most sports super-stars. I bought a former NFL player a drink at a bar one time and he talked about he went through his millions and was now bankrupt. I am not a football fan, so when I bought him a drink I never recognized him and just thought he was a regular joe. I didn't believe him at first when he told me he played for the NFL. He told me that NFL stood for "Not For Long" because of all the injuries in football. I guess the same would be true for keeping their millions. The "Wolf of Wall Street" certainly didn't keep his millions either. That's why I say, it takes a great deal of time to build wealth and that's probably one of the essential ingredients to keep the wealth along with good money management skills and financial education. Rome wasn't built in a day. People want to get rich quick, but you know anything worth having also requires patience. Their is no getting rich quick and then keeping your wealth in my experience.

You're moving the goalposts. First you said one couldn't get rich quick. Now you're saying that one who gets rich quick can't stay rich.

I agree with neither proposition. Many have my clients have gotten rich pretty quick. Their story is along the lines of, (a) be smart, (b) come up with an awesome idea (c) file a patent application, (d) build a company, (e) [optionally] graduate, (f) get acquired for a lot of money. I have seen that happen inside the span of a few years. Of course, I don't mean to suggest that they don't work hard... they do. But it's quick.

Less dramatically, a related trajectory in Silicon Valley is (a) get a job at an elite Google-type company, (b) hang on for dear life until your stock options vest, (c) get rich. Now, one might reasonably believe that one or two million bucks in Silicon Valley doesn't make one "rich," but it does in the rest of the world. Again, step (b) involves a LOT of work, but typically it only takes a few years to vest.

There's no evidence these types of people don't hang on to their money. In fact, in my experience, they do.

So maybe you want to revise your statement yet again: it's impossible to get rich quick, unless one either (a) works REALLY hard, or (b) gets rich quick?
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
You are over-analyzing and overthinking things. I am not going to change what I said because I meant what I said. Do you think Warren Buffet got rich quick? He didn't think he got rich quick. Define "quick."

Quote:
It sure buys acquaintances! Smile

Let's not start over-analyzing and overthinking or un-necessarily complicating things now Lobo. Let's just keep it simple. Simple works best. This isn't a courtroom either where there is always an argument to be made no matter what the facts prove or what that the objective truth really is, trying to sway a jury to your side of the equation despite what the facts say and what the objective truth really is. This is just the Magic Café with normal every day mortals.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Oh- Because Warren Buffet didn't get rich quick, that means no one does. (Or if they do, they don't keep it- except for Bill Gates, Paul Allen and the guys who do.)

Got it.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 7, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Oh- Because Warren Buffet didn't get rich quick, that means no one does. (Or if they do, they don't keep it- except for Bill Gates, Paul Allen and the guys who do.)

Got it.

We all got to have our heroes. Warren Buffet is one of my heroes Smile.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
He's a great hero, but your experiences (and your heroes' experiences) are not universal.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 7, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
He's a great hero, but your experiences (and your heroes' experiences) are not universal.

I think some truths are universal. Now, what I think is a universal truth, others might not with agree with my view on what I think is a universal truth. Then some might think that their is no such thing as a universal truth. Perhaps one universal truth is that many things appear to be paradoxical.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I agree that some truths are universal.

AllAboutMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
California
333 Posts

Profile of AllAboutMagic
Why are you arguing with GM? Haven't you tried this before? He is right and the world is wrong. Smile
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16200 Posts

Profile of tommy
One must be very careful about lending or borrowing I would say. The loan sharks will eat you for breakfast if you are not careful. One thing that helps to make money is building and taking care of ones credit rating. Aristotle Onassis, the Greek shipping tycoon, said that it's most important to build and take care of ones credit rating and he used some cleaver tricks to build his. He built a kind of illusion of wealth to begin with.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2014, General_Magician wrote:
I think some truths are universal. Now, what I think is a universal truth, others might not with agree with my view on what I think is a universal truth.

I don't think "universal" means what you think it means.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

And I don't think what you think universal means universal. So, I have my convictions and I am not going to part with my convictions on what I think what universal means, simply because you don't agree with my views on what I think universal means. You have your convictions on what you think universal means and I never expected you to part with your convictions but I am not going to part with mine either just to appease you. I am still going to hold fast to what I think is right and true, even if others don't agree with me. That's just the way it's going to be and nothing is going to change it.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The dictionary will tell you what "universal" means. It's not a matter of opinion.

It means "every," "all" and "always."

It's not "appeasing" anyone to simply use words correctly.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wolf of Weed Street (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL