The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Best of the worst Linking Rings? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steffs35
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Steffs35
Hello everyone! Looks than quantity threads about linking rings but no one got proper answer! I know Porper, Owen makes it perhaps the most exclusive and maybe even the best rings in the market.

But are there any good alternatives under $ 120 which is good enough to train with, but may also occur with? I imagine 12"-14".

I want them to have a nice sound, thickness, it is possible to find in this price level?

Very grateful for some links to different stores and your experiences!

What I looked at the sizes now for stage and some smaller parties! 14 "Linking Ring Set by JL, Klamm ring 12" which seems a bit interesting.

What do you think of these?

You are very welcome to make suggestions and suggestions on stores that sell the product you recommend, preferably under $ 120

Thanks in advance!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I've been using a set of 8" rings made in India, for the last 35 years! I paid $50 for them in '78, and the set included an oversize, an undersize, and a lock*** key!

Someone younger than I can perhaps suggest a source!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Steffs35
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Steffs35
Thanks for your reply, hope someone else wants to give me tips about the brand and where I can find these?
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
There are a few things to take into consideration that normally don't get talked about.

How tall are you and how many rings to you intend to use? If you are tall and intend to use three or four rings, then 12" is fine. For more than that, unless you are well over 6 foot, I'd recommend 10" or 8". Mine are 10" and I suspect were made by George Hammerton for Harry Stanley's Unique Magic Studio. They are heavy!

What is the purpose of your routine? My mentor, Eric Sharp, taught me the Vernon routine (six rings) when I was nineteen. It's purpose was/is to gather a crowd when doing outdoor shows or shopping centres. All you need to start is one kid to help and another in the audience. They will come. I regularly used it to open the second half of my theatre shows. It is a trick where people can follow the effect even if they come in half way through, which can happen after an interval, plus, being visual, they can settle down without having to think.

I've found locking rings to be a nuisance. I saw Oscar Munoz' routine and was convinced he was using a locking ring. He wasn't, he just had excellent handling.

If you have no rings and are looking to get going, I'd recommend a relatively cheap set of eight. That combination will allow you to experiment with any number of published routines and when you settle on one you are happy with, then upgrade.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Quentin... one of the best post on the subject. Anyone starting could do well with Levent's DVD and my book The History of the Chinese Linking Rings.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Steffs35
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Steffs35
Thank you Quentin for a very detailed answer, with several aspects in!
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
I found that Greg Wilson 3 ring routine is superb. He had presented it on the Dick Van Dyke special. I personally think 3 is enough, although I second Mr. Quentin. Rings have become a much overdrawn and used item.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Al Schneider's routine with five rings is worth the study and insight. Several moves can be adapted to other routines.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
JoyJoy
View Profile
Special user
Germany
514 Posts

Profile of JoyJoy
A good alternative: 'Silver Bell' Linking Rings from http://www.proline-magic.com/products.html
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Uday makes a half way decent ring, for about $75. I don't know if they make any as large as 12". I have a set of Klamm rings I've used for several years, one broke at the weld but Klamm immediately replaced it (and even paid the shipping). Another has some plating flaking off at the weld - not a big deal, but more in line with Chinese or Indian manufacturers. The Klamm rings are also a little thin.

Good luck with your search.

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Best of the worst Linking Rings? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL