The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Card control top of deck (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TCB
View Profile
Loyal user
I am so happy to be promoted because of my
210 Posts

Profile of TCB
I saw a card control that looked really cool, and I was going to buy it, but now I cant find it anywhere. It was 13.95 for the download. I think the guys name was maybe Sid Laine or maybe Ted not sure, but the control I believe used a reverse spread. You put spectators card in the middle close the spread, and boom the card is controlled to the top. Does anybody have any idea what this might be? Its even on You tube, but I forgot what you call it so I cant search
There Is No Revolution Without Evolution
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5120 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Lee Asher - Losing Control

http://www.leeasher.com/store/online_dow......rol.html

All his stuff is awesome. Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
TCB
View Profile
Loyal user
I am so happy to be promoted because of my
210 Posts

Profile of TCB
Yes Mr Poof that's it. I don't know where I got Sid Laine or Ted. Have you used this control?
There Is No Revolution Without Evolution
Andrew Immerman
View Profile
Regular user
California
108 Posts

Profile of Andrew Immerman
My experience has been that Lee Asher's Losing Control and the other reverse spread control variants heavily depend on misdirection and timing. If you're interested in controls to the top, without displacing large blocks (e.g., using traditional passes/shifts), you might also enjoy Alex Pandrea's AP Spread Control, Emran Riaz's Shinobi Control, and Jason England's work on the Straddle Pass, which can easily be supplemented to bring the controlled card to the top, rather than the bottom.

Andrew
Alex R. Weinberg
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Alex R. Weinberg
Daniel Garcia also has some interesting easy passes in his series.
Nemesus
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Nemesus
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6635 Posts

Profile of magicfish
You were going to buy a control???
Why? Why not buy a book and learn dozens of controls and pick your favourite?
I cant believe people are buying sleights instead of just learning them.
No offense here, just shocked.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6635 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Pick up a 3 dollar copy of expert card technique.
TerrorInt
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of TerrorInt
Buying the video is sometimes far superior to reading text. Especially if you are more of a visual learner. Sometimes using words and still pictures to describe motion just doesn't cut it. (pun?)

Videos, or at least the good ones, often go well beyond the initial sleight and show various ways to use them to fit different situations. They also show the sleights from different angles so you get a pretty solid impression of what people around you will see.

Most important is that the videos usually credit the sources where each variation originated. This is something sorely lacking on nearly every Youtube EXPOSED type video.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2014, magicfish wrote:

What he said!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of Snidini
[quote]On Sep 1, 2014, TerrorInt wrote:
Buying the video is sometimes far superior to reading text. Especially if you are more of a visual learner. Sometimes using words and still pictures to describe motion just doesn't cut it. (pun?)

I agree TI. I for one subscribe to both great magic magazines and unless they really did a great job on the photos and description of the card trick, I cannot for the life of me seem to work out 40% these tricks. I must be missing something when reading these tricks in print. A videos will show it all in detail. I'm thankful my club has a couple of great card sharps that can set me straight when I run into print problems with a trick. For some folks, it's an easy process to read and understand. That's why they got A's in school. For others, it can be a challenge.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8471 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I wonder, Snidini, if you've read any of my stuff. Just curious.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
How
View Profile
New user
Texas
93 Posts

Profile of How
What is a good DVD or Book to purchase for card control?
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Arthur Buckley's, er, Card Control?????????
TH

Occupy Your Dream
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2014, magicfish wrote:

In Expert Card Technique, you will not find a section specifically devoted to controlling a card. The two sections in ECT that deal in detail with sleights used to control cards (the side slip and the pass) contain instruction on how to perform controls that are difficult to master. There are other descriptions of controls sprinkled throughout the book (which is certainly worth reading) but no section devoted specifically to controlling cards. For that reason, I would not recommend this to anyone looking to learn lots of ways to control a card (I DO recommend it for other reasons, though).

For learning controls, if you are on a budget and are not a card expert, I would recommend The Royal Road to Card Magic as both overhand shuffle sections and the hindu shuffle section have space devoted specifically to using those techniques to control a card to the top of the deck. RRTCM also contains a section on the pass as well if you are looking for more challenging way to control a card to the top.

If you are not on a tight budget, I would recommend Roberto Giobbi's Card College. Vol's 1 and 3 both have sections devoted specifically to controlling cards and vol 2 has a section on the pass. I have found vol's 1-2 the best of the series, followed closely by vol 3. I believe Mr. Giobbi originally intended vol's 1 and 2 to be the extent of his course and only decided later that more could be added. Thus, you will find vol's 1 and 2 to be more than enough to keep you busy with card magic for years to come. The same can be said for ECT and RRTCM. I have them all and will never get rid of them (or Erdnase, for that matter).

Now that I think about it, this thread is probably not well suited for this section anyway, because even Lee Asher's Losing Control is not self-working Smile
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2014, Harry Lorayne wrote:
I wonder, Snidini, if you've read any of my stuff. Just curious.

Hi Harry, quite honestly I have one of your books I picked up at a magic flea market long ago but haven't read it yet. I couldn't even tell you the title. I have only heard great things about your stuff and need to start looking closer at all the great material you have put out. Harry, what book would you recommend as a starter? I will certainly take your advise and read it.
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Though I share some of the expressed reservations about purchasing just a single move (or trick, or other secret), as opposed to investing in longer works chock full of stuff for sometimes not much more, I splurged on this one. I know and like Mr. Asher and am quite happy to support his excellent work. The Losing Control document and accompanying videos cover the move in various forms, and is supported by some interesting general discussion of the underlying principle as well as reference to others' similar work. The move itself is bold and simple, but one gets more than the move in Asher's well written booklet. I have no trouble having spent the money. I sure as heck have spent a lot more on things a lot less useful.
Lee Asher
View Profile
V.I.P.
495 Posts

Profile of Lee Asher
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2014, lcwright1964 wrote:
Though I share some of the expressed reservations about purchasing just a single move (or trick, or other secret), as opposed to investing in longer works chock full of stuff for sometimes not much more, I splurged on this one. I know and like Mr. Asher and am quite happy to support his excellent work. The Losing Control document and accompanying videos cover the move in various forms, and is supported by some interesting general discussion of the underlying principle as well as reference to others' similar work. The move itself is bold and simple, but one gets more than the move in Asher's well written booklet. I have no trouble having spent the money. I sure as heck have spent a lot more on things a lot less useful.

Thank you for your kind words Mr. Wright! Glad you enjoy the Losing Control. It's a fantastic piece of sleight of hand.

By the way, if anyone has questions, or wants to try out the Losing Control before purchasing it, contact me. I want you to be 110% satisfied, and if not, you get your money back.

Once again, thanks for the kind words about Losing Control.

Speak with you guys soon...

Asher
LEARN ONE CARD ROUTINE EVERY MAGICIAN MUST KNOW
Click Here To Get Started Right Away
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
626 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Yeah, Losing Control is fantastic. It flies right by people. Even when I'm trying to watch for the control, it goes right by me. Its great. So much easier than the pass.
R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
I know this thread is a little old, but I wanted to second The Fritz's comments about getting Card College instead of the older texts such as ECT and RRTCM. CC is far clearer, and sometimes I'm not even sure how people *ever* learned from the older books. (If you really want a challenge, try reading Sachs' "Sleight of Hand"!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Card control top of deck (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL