The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help!!! First show for kids. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

yair61
View Profile
New user
Israel
55 Posts

Profile of yair61
Hello everybody.
In about 30 hours I have my first show for 1st and 2nd class children and I prepared my 20 minutes show for them, and now I've been told it's gonna be 35 minutes.
I prepared 4 good magics and I don't know what to do more.
plz help me find more things I can do without early preparation.
if someone have links to youtube with good ideas it's good to.
plz help me, it's urgent for me.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Tell a story, finish early, bring treats. But don't try to learn a new trick and then introduce at the last minute. It will cause all the effort you put into the four good tricks you have be wasted.

Hudson
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Children that age like when the magician messes up. If you are going to vanish a silk in your hand drop it on to the floor pretending not to know. Tell them the scarf is gone showing your hand empty. The kids will be yelling telling you "IT'S ON THE FLOOR"...Gag effects are also fun. Accidently hit yourself while waving a magic wand. You get the idea.
Make it fun for THEM. ..... Do you do any puppet work? Kids love puppets. Kids also like to be verbal. So do tricks where the kids can yell out a magic word.
I agree with Hudson...Don't grasp at unpolished routines. You'll look unprofessional as well as being unprofessional.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
What 55Hudson said. And, if you aren't doing a warm up write one and go over it until you are confident you can deliver it. You should be able to find out about audience warm ups in the kids magic forum. PM me after the show and I can make some more suggestions as to specifics.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
yair61
View Profile
New user
Israel
55 Posts

Profile of yair61
Thank all for your help, you are very right that's better not to do new tricks in the show, שnd thanks for making that clear for me.

The performance was this morning, the kids really enjoyed (of course) and I enjoyed too.
Of course there were some blunders, but I managed to hide them in an elegant way, and I'm satisfied for that.

Because I was very excited (most of the time my I do a close up magics), even magics that I've been doing for many years flawlessly, I could not do in a satisfied way, in the aspect of the sleight of hands and an appropriate performance.

But it was very good, and it was full worth for the money (foe them) I've got.

and MRSharpe- I'm sending you a PM.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Got the PM yair51 so here I am back to respond. Sounds like the gig went great.
The warm up I use is based on the work of Bob Markwood from his lecture notes on performing for kids called Poof, You're a Frog. I've posted in response to others who have asked about how to perform for kids. There are other warm ups out there that can work just as well, Markwood's was just the first I came across, I learned it, modified it to suit myself and have stuck with it. Basically a warm up gets the kids introduced to you, establishes some ground rules and gives the kids reasons to follow them.
As to materail, man there is so much out there that I can't begin to recommend any particular routine. Just remember, the magic is not in the props or the tricks, it's in you. If you like what you're doing so will your audiences.
I just found a site based on the recommendations of another Café member. It the site(s) of Julian Mather of Australia. Here are a couple of links:
http://www.birthday-party-magician.com/magician-school.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/julianmather1/videos
You can find material there and performance philosophy. He is also selling a series of five lessons that you might find useful. I've not seen them, so my recommendations are based on what he has out there on his site and Youtube page.
Finally, if you ever have a show that goes perfectly, let me know. It would be the first "perfect" magic show I've ever heard of.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help!!! First show for kids. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL