The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ideas? 4 magically appearing engagement ring! :) (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland! Back home and Thrilled!
1027 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
OK,
So I have some ideas, but I have 6 months to a year for this. So I thought I would throw it out there and see what we can think of together. As the title says, lookign for a way to present an engagement ring.

As we know; most "ring" effects require you to borrow a ring. I will need to skip that part for obvious reasons. I can work around that, no problem. Just use a ball of colored flash paper and call it wish paper, or whatever. Too easy there.

I am also thinking of some kind of box. Women love wooden, exotic, beautiful boxes. Something with a heart or flower on it, like "A Promise Kept" box. Has a small heart on the bottom.

I was thinking of Viking Magic "Samurai Sword" and have it appear on the sword.
I know Magic Wagon has several "ring" effects. But the latest one you need the included ring. And getting a MW effect is not too easy to aquire.
Anyone want to rent me one?? Smile

*** Below is my favorite idea so far***

Some kind of "card Box". but for a ring to appear. I could write a Love Note, then place into the Box. And hand it to her for holding while I say some things out loud. Then have her open the note, and she sees a ring instead.
***Does anyone know of a wooden card box that would hide a ring?

I love the "ring Box" idea above, but am very open to other ideas/suggestions.

Thanks!

Mike
MontrealMagic
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of MontrealMagic
Hi Mike, I am going to polity suggest, and with all due respect, that you NOT use magic to propose to your girlfriend. From what I understand, "romance" is the right way to go....not a production box.

Might I suggest:
-Room full of flowers
-Rent a billboard and post the question as you drive down the highway
-google "bruno mars proposal" (first link, the video)
-Have school children hold up signs that display the sentiment/pop the question

If you ignore this advice, for the love of god, do not use a sword!
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
1027 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
I greatly appreciate the advice my friend. But she will LOVE this. She LOVES magic as much as I do and it will go over very well, I promise. Again , I appreciete your concern and advice.

All those are great ideas, but nothing new and just not me.

And the sword is definitely out! Smile

I promise to have someone videotape it and share it of course.

Mike
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
331 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
I used magic to proposed to my wife! Smile

Originally I wanted to propose to her at Disneyland because this was a place we both enjoyed going too. I was going to take her in front of the castle, et down on one knee and pop the question.

I ran this idea by sister and she begged me not to do it this way because it has been done and it just wasn't me. So I decided to use magic to propose to my wife.

At the time I was doing classes with Aaron Fisher and explained to my wife that Aaron wanted me to film a trick with a nice back drop for his website. So we made plans to go to dinner and go to a local lake to film the trick. The trick I decided to do was a version of Patrick Kun's Valentine card trick which can be found on youtube.

The setting was awesome. The sun was setting and the lake looked beautiful. I told her this would be the perfect place. She sighed like a child being asked to take out the trash. At the end of the trick I produced the ring and she cried in happiness.

My point is if magic is you then do you.It will mean a lot more and your doing something diffrent than most of the population. Congratulations and please share the video if you get a chance to do one.
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
MontrealMagic
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of MontrealMagic
Well, then I would suggest turning something into a ring! Make it seem like a fun trick, and then it ends with you on a knee, and the ring is produced. As you get down on one knee, if "sold" properly, it will seem as part of the trick and the "reveal" would be totally unexpected. Fritz Alkemade has a great "money in coaster" routine that I believe would be perfect. It is a 3 card monte, but done with 3 coasters. A bill is vanished, serial number written on a coaster. Fun 3 card monte routine where the spectator tries to guess which coaster has the serial number on it. In the end, the coaster is ripped open to reveal the bill "inside" it.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3975 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
This might not be quite as magical, but this is what came to mind:

- make or show a beautiful folded paper rose, tissue-like or more elegant. Have it vanish in flame (some sort of flash paper?)

- produce a lovely box

- she opens and sees a fully bloomed (open) rose inside, laying face-up.

- laying in the center of the rose, is the ring.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
942 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Get a cheap plastic ring that looks like an engagement ring. Make it vanish into a nest of boxes. I won't make an specific suggestions as to method since you have the six months.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
gkfreed
View Profile
Special user
520 Posts

Profile of gkfreed
My (now)wife also really loves this stuff so here's what I did. I preloaded the engagement ring in an empty card box and told her to keep one eye on that box. I borrowed her "regular" ring and did a basic ring and rope routine. I then vanished her ring (using my favorite method) and told her to check the box. She swore there was no way her ring could be in the box.

"Voila" I'm not sure she even asked for her other ring back.

I wouldn't recommend this for anyone who isn't positive their person LOVES their magic, but it worked great for me.

Best of luck to you
Shikanominarazu
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Shikanominarazu
Hiro Sakai has a magic wedding proposal in Japan Ingenious. I wouldn't do it EXACTLY as he does it (that way is rather expensive), but it might be a worth looking at. Also has a good quick recipe in there if you want to make dinner first.
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
1027 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Thanks for all the input/ideas! This is exactly what I was wanting. Some ideas to toss around.

@ Chessman:
I just recently purchased "Desert Rose" on Penguin that explains just how to use flash paper and a napkin for a rose effect! Great idea and it looks really cool! I could have the ring inside of the rose after the "Flash".

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4193

@gkfreed: That is cool! Love it! Simple, yet very effective and she obviously said yes!

I have been thinking of purchasing "Japan Ingenious", but it is just not in my budget at this point. It is on my long list! Smile

Thanks again, and please keep adding to this if you have more ideas!

Sincerely,
Mike Newman
ASCII
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of ASCII
When I purposed to my wife what I did was add an additional phase to one of my favorite coin tricks "Charming Chinese challenge" by Troy Hooser.
if you haven't seen it, its a trick were three coins move off and onto a ribbon with an in the hands phase at the end.
What I added was a final phase were I cleverly show then place the ribbon with a Chinese coin threaded on it into her hand and get her to close her fist . but when she opens her hand there is now a engagement ring threaded onto the ribbon in place of the coin.

it worked really well and if your curious about the method send me a pm and I can help you out.
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
1027 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Dood! That's awesome!!!

I Love Charming Chinese Challenge!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3357 Posts

Profile of Julie
How about a simple dime & penny trick? Place a dime and a penny into her hand, remove the penny and ask her what's left? "A dime? Well that's close--take a look!". The handling should be a breeze.

(Remember the old Diamond Penny gag? That was a penny with a diamond-like rhinestone embedded in it. The pun about a "diamond penny" would go over well...)

Julie
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Damian
I love reading these ideas. One thing to consider when making the ring appear in an impossible location (such as a nest of boxes or even card box) is that it's not a magical effect if a previously unseen object is found in the "impossible location." It should be obvious that the ring has been there the whole time.

Having the ring appear in her hand is terrific-switching out a coin or even another ring. In fact, if you go that route, you might consider revealing that the object she thinks she's holding has traveled to an "impossible location" before she opens her hand to find the surprise. So many marketed effects are coming to mind that could accommodate a ring or Chinese coin, including Nick Einhorn's Pro-flite or nest of wallets, David Regal's Ring Chain, Richard Sander's Interlace, among others.
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
1027 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
@Julie: I never heard of the diamond panny version? Sounds cool!!! Of course I have the normal dime/penny. I need to look that one up.

@Damian: I agree! I have thought about those effects as well.

So many ideas! And I agree that it's important to have a "suprise" element to it. Just having a ring appear in a nest of boxes.. so what.
Like I mentioned above; I have toms of time. So I also love discussing these ideas. These can easily be used for other ideas as well. For example, we could use this to give a birthday girl a ring. Could be that special gift from her Mom and dad, or just a sparkly one that is $15-$20 but looks AMAZING to a 7 yr young girl!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3357 Posts

Profile of Julie
Perhaps change a cigar band into the engagement ring...

Julie
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5838 Posts

Profile of motown
I seem to recall David Regal having an effect in one of his books with a ring box. I won't be back home until the 21st in order to check.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ideas? 4 magically appearing engagement ring! :) (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL