The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » What do you think about magic shops? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2004-09-02 21:12, Clifford the Red wrote:
The demise of Magic Shops is due to a combination of a failure on their part to adjust to the times, magic wholesalers who don't really wholesale, and we as magicians in partronizing them.

If magic shops were a well-run place, with a nice environment where you could get ANYTHING you wanted QUICKLY at a fair price and also hang out as a community, I think much more magicians would use the shops as a resource. But sadly, this is rarely the case.

If there was a place like that, I'd support it.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
sammhoudini
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of sammhoudini
There can be a place like that. We're trying to open one in Southern California in Temecula. In putting this together, one thing my wife and I've learned is that a lot of the concerns/problems people have had could have been handled if the shops were ran like a business with professionalism and good customer service but not lose sight of what the magic consumer wants.

Through most wholesalers, you can get ANYTHING you want and you can get it QUICK. If not, in many cases you can go direct to another source and get it for a customer. Pricing is competitive through all the wholesale outlets.

Magic shops that will stay in business will learn to focus on their customers, search high an low to offer their patrons items that are:

of high quality
unique
a good value

but still cater to the hobbyist or beginner that we all once were to foster and develop their interest in our magical art. We are currently working out a sponsorhip in a "good grade" program in the local middle school in hopes to bring more awareness to Magic.

I think that there's still lots of opportunity to run a successful magic shop.

That's my dream. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will come true.
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
I love magic shops. It is my special fun. Where ever I go, I look for a magic shop. I love to go in and wander.

The atmosphere is infectious, fun and enlightening. The personalities are wonderful, eccentric, caring, opinionated, kind and not so kind. But there is real interaction with real people.

The prices may be higher, but I understand.

Cheers - El Lamo

P.S. I hope and pray that the future of magic includes magic shops.
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
jwebyra
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
140 Posts

Profile of jwebyra
I would actually like to have a store close to me. Used but unfortantly they went out of business. Nothing beats going to shop and talking to a person to make sure on what you are buying.
paulsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of paulsmagic
Don't confuse novelty shops with magic shops. a shop that keeps up to date effects and creates an atmosphere that is enjoyable for the magician. a place that provides lessons, has lectures, and magicians on hand to demonstrate. that is a magic shop. they are far and few between, but there are some out there. the internet is okay but personal service is the key. a previous comment above said they paid twice as much in a store than on the internet. shame on them. they didn't shop properly. a few dollars more for personal service is worth it. a gathering place for other magicians to share ideas will keep the art alive.
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
Magicchris,

I have been in magic for 25 years (worked behind the counter at Stevens Magic at that time). When magic videos first came out, they were $70 to $80 apiece (except for Stevens', which were around $30, except for the imported Pierre Mayer tapes that were $70). Video tapes (like electronics) have come down in price. You didn't mention whether the tapes that you bought on the internet were used or not.

You weren't ripped off. Brick and mortor stores must pay overhead (rent, utilities, salaries, etc.). The internet stores don't have that. The internet stores also don't have the service...they just want to sell merchandise. Of course, many of the larger brick and morter stores have also gone to the internet as well to keep up.

Have a good one,

Bob
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
Another advantage of working in the brick and morter shop (the one that I mentioned previously) is that I gained mentors who would come to visit Joe Stevens (I learned more about escapes from John Novak, about stage craft from Jay Marshall, rode in a van with Joe and Michael Ammar from Wichita to St. Louis and back, and there's nothing like eating breakfast in a greasy diner at 2 in the morning with Paul Harris and Louie Seiminoff).

Have a good one,

Bob Phillips
Dayle
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of Dayle
Magic shop of the future? How about we learn from the shops of the past. I've walked into too many shops nowadays and been completely ignored! Not such a great feeling when you had the money burning a hole in your pocket!

Cheers
Dayle
World's Most Accomplished Female Escape Artist
http://www.sherryandkrallmagic.com
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
I only have one magic shop in the area and that is almost an hour away. I don't drive so rely on getting lifts. For this reason I don't get their very often. Maybe once every 3 months. And every time I go I'm sure to buy something. It is the type of shop that despite being the smallest shop on the street it got the most stuff in it. I live in england and the shop is called kbmagic. It is run by Keith Bennet and he is always very helpful and I do enjoy watching the other magicians. The main problem for me though is that I'm using my magic to make money and I just cant afford to pay any more than I have to. This I'm sure is the same for any working performer and the reason behind the magic shops dying out. I however continue to visit and because that is not very often Keith can be sure to make me part with my cash.
mikeflex
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of mikeflex
I love my local magic shop. If anyone is in Southern Alberta, it is well worth your while to check out the Vanishing Rabbit Magic Shop. I went there with 3 other teachers asking for magic to do for our students. The owner is a magician and spent almost 2 hours demonstrating various tricks for us. This was very beneficial because we could see how a trick looked when actually performed.

When we would describe a trick, Brent knew exactly what trick we were describing and could give us info. on it. When we were ready to purchase some magic, he was very honest in telling us if a trick was too difficult for us at this stage, and suggested something else.

After we had purchased our magic, Brent made sure that we did not leave the store without him showing us how to perform our selected tricks, and giving us tips in regards to the presentation.

When I got home, I did browse a few online magic dealers and sure, I found some of the tricks for a few bucks less. However, the service we recieved and just being able to see the trick before we decided on our purchase was invaluable. Not to mention being 'trained' in the use of our trick by a professional magician after purchase...no contest. For me, the walk in magic shop, if run by a magician, is the place to buy magic!
mikeflex
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of mikeflex
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the shop is in Calgary, Alberta.
AaronSmith
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of AaronSmith
Hello Bobn3, you wrote, “Brick and mortar stores must pay overhead (rent, utilities, salaries, etc.). The Internet stores don't have that.” Certainly there are cybergicians selling magic out of their basements, but there are plenty of us that have online magic shops with warehouse rent or mortgage, utilities, employee cost, etc. plus we stock an inventory that competes on a global level rather than a local area.

You mentioned, “The Internet stores also don't have the service... they just want to sell merchandise.” Again, you’ve kinda lumped up a lot of great shops with a few bad apples. Most of us are full-time or retired magicians that have a sincere love for what we do and could care less about the bottom line as long as our families are eating and employees paid.

Just felt it needed to be said :o)

- Aaron Smith
The Magic Depot - Free Shipping WorldWide!

http://themagicdepot.com
maxello
View Profile
New user
Norway
60 Posts

Profile of maxello
Thanks for your kind word Mr. Aron.
I am a retired Magician myself operating a Internett buisness, with showroom, employes, taxes and all other expences.
It is not so easy as people think.........
Maybe for some small shops you can run from your home but a lot of us it is a full days work.

regards
maxello
Arve Lisland
arvelisland@gmail.com
AaronSmith
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of AaronSmith
Indeed. I was just giving a magic shop perspective.
The Magic Depot - Free Shipping WorldWide!

http://themagicdepot.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I love real magic shops... used to work in one and some of the great times in my magic life were in "the back rooms" -- Flosso's, Buma's, Stevens', Ken Brooke's, Joe Berg's, Magic Inc.

I just don't travel like I used to, and sadly almost all of the above are gone.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
RCarruth
View Profile
Veteran user
Spartanburg, S.C.
341 Posts

Profile of RCarruth
I publish a newsletter and featured an article in my last issue dealing with this very subject. I would love to post it here.. but it's way too long.

If you're interested and have a few minutes, you can read it here..
http://StreetMagic.info/eMagic19.html
Magic Roadshow - Magic's #1 Free Newsletter
http://magicroadshow.com
Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
749 Posts

Profile of Roki
I think magic stores miss a huge oppertunities to sell products to new and experienced magicians alike . My first trip to Davenports in London were amazing . They demonstrated everything I was interested in and made a number of suggestions to new things that I had no idea were available .
I would happily pay for this kind of service , but now I hear about many things from other magicians and Davenports don't have it. They just don't carry enough stock.
It would seem an alliance between a large internet based dealer and a local store would be a great idea .
Also why not run membership schemes where more experienced magicians can see the latest stuff demod and check it out and pay for the priviledge . This would be great to go to session of card or mentalism or wallets and see a whole range of possibilities and learn as well as buy .
I don't spend half the money Id like to on magic because I cant get the basic info I want about the products.
Mike Brezler
View Profile
Inner circle
Waynesboro, Pa.
1114 Posts

Profile of Mike Brezler
There are no magic shops in my area. I wish there was one... but that's the way it goes when you live in a small village a couple of hours from the nearest city.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
After doing my homework at the magic Café about what quality rope is availible on the internet I called my local dealer and found out he had no idea what I was talking about and was quite put out by my informed questioning. I then realized I needed much more than what he had to offer, and I was sick of his take it or leave it attitude, so mom and pop magic stores have very little to offer the serious magician who knows exactly what is availible elsewhere. The mom and pop grocery store died because of the super market, and the one room magic shop can only satisfy the needs of the tourist.
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Wizardwannabe
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Wizardwannabe
One of the many great things about having magic as a hobby is that you've got a place to go visit whenever you are in a large city - the magic shop! There always seems to be someone there with whom you can strike up a conversation. Also, it's just plain fun to walk into a magic shop you've never been in before. I hope brick and mortar shops will always be with us.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » What do you think about magic shops? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL