The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Bitten by magnets?! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2884 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
This is right out of a sci-fi movie. Smile

I'm building some new pieces for Stevens Magic, which require small earth magnets inset into the wood. Very small, as in 3/8" diameter by 1/10" thick. So a couple of days ago I had a small stack of them on the table, and a loose one a few inches away. I reached down to pick up the stack, and the loose magnet flew onto it, pinching my finger. Ouch. It actually felt like something had bitten me. I still have a very small blood blister from it.

I wished I'd had a camera -- that stack of magnets hanging from my finger was hilarious.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
People have destroyed fingers and even entire hands by being careless with large RE magnets. Even the small ones can cause serious injury if allowed to slam together, as they can shatter and send tiny shards straight into an unprotected eye. Good idea to handle them with great care and a mind toward safety.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1305 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Oh yes. I have handled lotsa magnets and they can really bite you. I am preparing a Darth Vader helmet for display right now and got some magnets to keep the dome attached/aligned to the mask. 12lbs of pull each (using two) and got a bite as well. But at least the dome will stay in place!
Sent from my Typewriter
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Count me among the once bitten, twice shy. My rule is simple: loose magnets are either in hand and actually being applied, or stuck to something steel, so as not to fly randomly. I usually keep the stack stuck to something steel, as well.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2884 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Good point, Michael. Thanks.

The funny thing is that I had a dvd of season 1 of American Horror Story on, for background noise, when it happened. The timing couldn't have been better.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Magic Monkichi
View Profile
Elite user
Ontario, Canada
401 Posts

Profile of Magic Monkichi
Reminds me of when I used to use "The Bat". Got bitten all the time! lol. 'Glad' I'm not the only one Smile lol.
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1049 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
I have been using magnets for years, rare earth of all sizes and thickness. On more than one instance I was pinched fairly severely. All I can say is be careful!! Smile
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
Fact is many children swallow these things and tear up their insides.
google the stories it's sad
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I keep mine inside a small catfood (steel) can. A tuna-fish can would work as well.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I still remember one time when I went to visit my (soon to be) wife, and was going to surprise her with a new effect involving a 0.5"x2" neodymium magnet. Her dog greeted me first, and happened to be wearing a steel choke chain.

It's not easy trying to explain why an 80-lbs lab-pit mix is stuck to your body.

I keep my small magnets all stuck together in one of the plastic drawers in my parts bin, which is mounted at head level on the wall behind my work bench, well out of the reach of my son. It's labeled "Caution! Magnets" and I don't keep anything metallic in the drawers around it to prevent accidental magnetization. The large magnet mentioned earlier is in my steamer crate full of props, carefully wrapped in several layers of black felt and stuck to the side.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Yes, they are dangerous! I have been injured with some larger ones. I have some very strong ones that are about 1 1/4" diameter by about 1/8" thick, and also some about the size of a nickel that are about 3/16" thick. Some of each of those sizes have gotten away from me a few times. Nothing real serious, but a good amount of pain!

George, I'm glad it wasn't too bad!
Mister Mystery
msillusions
View Profile
New user
Ft. Worth
60 Posts

Profile of msillusions
I remember one time I was hired to teach an executive a linking effect (not rings but r@$&), and I guess the magnets were pretty strong in this one set and it pinched the exec during early practice. He almost gave it up right there and then, until I corrected the way he was holding it. Been bitten myself with other loose magnets when I was not paying enough attention to what I was doing.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Ever get a large one stuck on a metal surface? The big 1 1/4" magnets I have occasionally jump off when I get to close to metal and they are a pain to get loose! And if they attract to each other, look out! It's really difficult to pry them apart. And easy to get bitten while trying!
Mister Mystery
tstrong2
View Profile
New user
Vacaville, California
11 Posts

Profile of tstrong2
I am imagining the poor package delivery person trying to deliver a shipment of magnets to my house. The package sticking to the side of the van only to rip when they try to pry it loose... Sounds like fodder for a sitcom.

Magnets are useful, destructive, dangerous, and fun. But have to be respected or they bite you.

My wife did something kind of stupid with magnets before I met her. She put two of them, one on each side of her nose. Trying to imitate a piercing. They stuck through her skin and she was in a lot of pain until her now ex-husband finally managed to pry them apart.

Take standard precautions. And for safety sake, have someone around to help if something goes wrong. At least within earshot.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Bitten by magnets?! (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL