The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Flying Pegasus for theater production (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BRodgers
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of BRodgers
As the title says, there is a stage production in need of a flying Pegasus for one scene. There will be a person riding it. Has anyone seen this done before, or better yet been involved in its production?

The theater stage is raised, so sight lines will be pointing upwards. I'm pretty sure a flying rig is out, but if it is a possibility I will update the thread. I was thinking of something like a susp***ion on wheels. It doesn't have to move much or go far, but a nice steady slow movement across the stage and back would be nice.

Anyone got any ideas? We can also discuss via PM or email.

Thanks!
Creator of The Phantom Band 360
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
John Calvert did this in his big show, I believe when he played Australia. It is (probably) the same rig that he did his floating pipe organ with, and the space ship. There is a very small photo of it in Furst's "Great Magic Shows", it is pictured, but not described.

Blair

(PM also sent.)
MagicalMotivator
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of MagicalMotivator
The most cost effective approaches, without being cheesy, are (a) black art and (b) creative staging.

Black Art has no need for expensive flying rigs or harnesses - everything is ground supported and can be on casters. I did a National panto Tour of Dick Whittington and His Cat and quite a elaborate underwater scene (giant fish, mermaids, etc) was done this way.

Creative Staging can use shadows, lighting and staging to interject a "magical look and feel" to a sequence. For example in a live production of "Into The Woods" the giant's wife terrorizing a town was done by having the giant's shadow cast onto a large white scrim with proportionally smaller town and people. On TV the show Supernatural dramatically represents angels sometimes by having a giant set of dark shadow wings into the background behind the actor (it looks very effective the way they do it - not cheesy).

The point being that unless you have the realistic expereicne, time or re$ources to perform this as a magic trick, try looking at what you want to artistically achieve in other more practical ways.

Just my humble opinion.

Rick

PS: If you want any more details on this PM or email me and I would be glad to expand on these.
Rick Rossini The Magical Motivator
www.rossinimagic.com
www.magicalmotivator.com
MagicalMotivator
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

The most cost effective approaches, without being cheesy, are (a) black art and (b) creative staging.

Black Art has no need for expensive flying rigs or harnesses - everything is ground supported and can be on casters. I did a National panto Tour of Dick Whittington and His Cat and quite a elaborate underwater scene (giant fish, mermaids, etc) was done this way.

Creative Staging can use shadows, lighting and staging to interject a "magical look and feel" to a sequence. For example in a live production of "Into The Woods" the giant's wife terrorizing a town was done by having the giant's shadow cast onto a large white scrim with proportionally smaller town and people. On TV the show Supernatural dramatically represents angels sometimes by having a giant set of dark shadow wings into the background behind the actor (it looks very effective the way they do it - not cheesy).

The point being that unless you have the realistic experience, time or re$ources to perform this as a magic trick, try looking at what you want to artistically achieve in other more practical ways.

Just my humble opinion.

Rick

PS: If you want any more details on this PM or email me and I would be glad to expand on these.
www.rossinimagic.com
www.magicalmotivator.com
MagicalMotivator
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Oops - my bad - was trying to correct spelling and double posted.
www.rossinimagic.com
www.magicalmotivator.com
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
As I recall Melinda Saxe had a flying horse in her special. Check out YouTube. I bet they have a video of it.
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Watch this and make a more robust version: http://youtu.be/9nAC6ztIUbQ?t=2m36s
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
Great advice, Stolz/
BRodgers
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of BRodgers
Yes, very good idea. Now I just need to modify everything to make a stronger rig that will be safe.
Creator of The Phantom Band 360
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
447 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2014, Chris Stolz wrote:
Watch this and make a more robust version: http://youtu.be/9nAC6ztIUbQ?t=2m36s

WOW! I did EXACTLY this several years ago and we still use it today. For my application, it's for a passion play and it's when Satan arrives to tempt Jesus. Satan makes his first entrance floating a few feet off the ground, and slowly descends. My rig is virtually identical to the one that this guy came up with, except every part of mine is steel.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Flying Pegasus for theater production (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL