The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How much time do you spend practicing? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SDMoore1
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of SDMoore1
How much time do you spend practicing?

I'm trying for an hour per day. Some days more, some less. I see practice as being absolutely essential.

You?
Philip Busk
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Philip Busk
I never seem to practice enough.
Make sure your hour is very productive. Some time for slieghts, some for routines, performance, etc. I've always gotten bogged down in one aspect and not using a good practice regiment.
Philip Busk
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7036 Posts

Profile of bowers
I practice the time it take's to
get what I need to achieve down pat.
Todd
Steven Webb
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Steven Webb
I try to get at least an hour in a day. However, I'm more performing sleights and such. My time is usually spread out and often can be while I'm sitting on the couch watching tv practicing a DL or Elmsley. It often feels like it is not enough but I have a hard time forcing myself to sit down and practice for extended periods of time. Plus, with a wife and three little kids running around, my time to practice is pretty minimal.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
942 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Keep in mind that there is a difference between practicing and rehearsing. It may be a matter of semantics and I may be splitting hairs, but I see practice as having to do with skills, i.e. sleights, working with gaffs to make sure their function is correct for me, etc. Another word for this would be 'drilling' in the manner of athletes drilling on certain skills. Rehearsing is working with a sleight or gaff within the context of an entire routine or act. Personally, I drill on card sleights while watching TV. It kills two birds with one stone and I eventually get to the point that I can do a move without thinking about it, which is what the goal should be. I think I recall Michael Ammar recommending that a good way to drill is to do it first thing in the morning and to limit it to a short session. Rehearsal is another story. I can't rehearse with the TV on or any other distraction. Also, keep in mind that you can rehears each routine individually, but eventually you should rehearse an entire act as a whole.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
krowboom
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago area
441 Posts

Profile of krowboom
I hate practicing and frankly no matter how much you practice it's not the same as performing. I like magic that requires a minimum of skill. Why? I started doing this in my 60's and don't want to spend hours trying to learn complicated stuff. The audience doesn't care anyway. They want to be entertained. I find that even if I go over moves 100 times it means nothing until I get in front of an audience. So in a way, performing before an audience is like practicing. The more I do it the better I get. Keep in mind I have no desire to do difficult moves unlike younger magicians who want to learn knuckle busting tricks and be known for their magical skills. I do tricks that use basic slights or sometimes no slights at all where only minimum practice time is required.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
This is what works with me. I try to spend a least a hour day practicing with magic. This hour will be spent going over some things I have not done for a while or cleaning up a routine that I am getting go. I call this going through the motions.

As well of this I will try to put in some study time. First of all I will find a new effect to work on and once I have worked through resource and versions of the effect I work out what I need to learn. towards the end of last year I saw that the 3 balls and net routine would fit int to my existing set well. So I researched the resources. Read a few bit and looked at lots of different stuff on you tube. Got a great DVD and watched it a few times then I learnt the moves. Those little balls went every were with me and I just kept practicing the moves. I did watching TV walking around were either when ever. Then a about a month ago I watched the DVD again a tuned the moves. I have tried it out on friends a a few safe test audiences. Things are going well but I need to get confident doing it in front of a audience also get the patter smooth as well as the rythem. So what I do with it is start to perform it for pepole but sandwich it between to effects I do well. After a month or so on that I hope it then becomes something I just have a can do when ever. But saying that at the point it becomes something I can do is one things but it when it something I can do and have done a 100 times is when it really gels.

I also have a small tray which at the moment has the 3 ball routine , 3 card monte and a deck of cards. This I will have around me all time and I will practice watching TV or on hold. I find having a clear goal of what you want to learn and the props at hand is the way to go. A friend of mine also photo copies what he want to learn from hos books so he don't start thumbing the pages and getting distracted.

Hope this helps and one last thing is the guy that taught me to juggle said it better to practice for 10min 6 times a day then it is to practice fro 60min once a day.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
I have mechanics practice, routine practice, set practice, and intentional flashing effed up practice, music selection and session all that with other magic geekers.
Vangel
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Vangel
It depends on how creative you want to be but I seem to think about how to present magic more than practice to try and enhance an original experience when performing. It can be how to create a new story and experience, how to use objects you've never thought of before, or a location/environment you've never tried before, how to mix different forms of magic to create one story to present. With this in mind you can take even the most overly used and basic method of magic and turn it into something amazing to suit our modern audiences. It's a matter of thinking of new impossible stories to perform.

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - The Queen, Alice in Wonderland
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1423 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
I tend to recommend students start a regular practice drill. Short sessions often.
10 minutes twice a day for 21 days, then film and evaluate before moving forward when drilling a specific technique. That's the process in the MoM sleight of hand for beginners course, and it's got the best results compared to less frequent practice 'splurges'. It's often about long term commitment that's consistent and above all focused.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Very varied. Sometimes I really just want to nail a particular move, and so I spend as much time as I can on it. Other times I just do a little to keep stuff fresh. So for me, anywhere between half an hour and twelve hours a day Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How much time do you spend practicing? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL