The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The magicians magician (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ihave
View Profile
New user
ocala,fl
74 Posts

Profile of ihave
Who would you say knows the most, or widest variety of magical tricks. The ultimate magicians magician lets say?
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
Copperfield is know to have a huge collection of tricks so it's safe to assume he knows a lot, but then, people like Richard Vollmer who translated much of the magic books available in French know a lot about tricks...

Also, the magicians' magician is the title of Daryl, certainly a wise magician too.

But knowing tricks doesn't lead you anywhere. You have to perform them to deserve the title of magician, so I find the whole premise of your question a bit moot.

P!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
You can work for a long time with only 9 effects. Smile

The rule of thumb in table hopping when people ask "how many effects should I have with me?" Is --- "3 sets of 3"

You can go all night with that doing this set for table (a) and that set for table (b) and so on.

However, eventually people come back that have seen them all but you get the point. Smile it's not the number of effects as much as how you routine and present them. And as Ado says, knowing them leads you nowhere. Always remember, "Anybody can DO magic. Only a few can PERFORM it" Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
ihave
View Profile
New user
ocala,fl
74 Posts

Profile of ihave
Well, there is a place and time for everything. I think there is a place and respect do for those who know the most tricks. Maybe you could call them the coach? Sure, they don't play the game, but they have a role to play
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2014, ihave wrote:
Well, there is a place and time for everything. I think there is a place and respect do for those who know the most tricks. Maybe you could call them the coach? Sure, they don't play the game, but they have a role to play

Well, Mr. ihave! There's a "classic" story about Howard THURSTON. (I'll paraphrase)

A young man met Mr. "T" and said, "Mr. "T", I know how a hundred and thirty-three tricks are done. How many do you know?"

Mr. "T" smiled and replied, "Well sir, I know a dozen--but I not only know how they are DONE, I know how to DO them!"

You might want to make a note of that!

Here's another bit of information: KNOWLEDGE & WISDOM ARE NOT THE SAME THING. (I knew a fellow that could speak 8 languages.--He lied in all eight!) I suggest that you file the Thurston anecdote, and that statement about KNOWLEDGE & WISDOM, wherever you file "things to remember".

Your second sentence is your OPINION (and you are entitled to have an opinion)but do not assume that your opinion is always right! (BTW: it's DUE, not DO)

How do you arrive at the term "coach"? It is MY OPINION (!) that your analogy LIMPS!

I hope that, after YOU have "played this game" a bit longer you will understand the THURSTON anecdote, and also the point about KNOWLEDGE & WISDOM!

P.S.: (People always read a "P.S."!

Jay Marshall and I often discussed topics like "how to add a new trick to one's show" We summarized the "answer" to that topic:

When you wish to add a new trick--

First, You must learn, how the trick is DONE.

Second, You must learn how to DO it.

Third, You must learn how to DO it, so that it ENTERTAINS an audience.

Best wishes!

Dick Oslund
Sneaky, underhanded, devious & surreptitious itinerant mountebanc
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2014, Ado wrote:
Copperfield is know to have a huge collection of tricks so it's safe to assume he knows a lot, but then, people like Richard Vollmer who translated much of the magic books available in French know a lot about tricks...

Also, the magicians' magician is the title of Daryl, certainly a wise magician too.

But knowing tricks doesn't lead you anywhere. You have to perform them to deserve the title of magician, so I find the whole premise of your question a bit moot.

P!

Yes! David (Kotkin) Copperfield is known to have a huge collection of PROPS. Props are used to PERFORM a TRICK. The trick (like music) only exists while it is being performed. So, NON SEQUITUR! --It is NOT "...safe to assume he knows a lot". Your terms are used too loosely!

I don't know Richard Vollmer (and my French is limited to two years of college study.)so, one MIGHT assume he knows a lot ABOUT tricks.

I do know Daryl (for 35 years) We met when we both played the Castle. I do know that he is very knowledgeable, very talented, --and I also think he is very wise. That "magician's magician" is a good "catch phrase"!

Your LAST sentence says "it" very well! Take a bow on that!
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2014, ihave wrote:
Who would you say knows the most, or widest variety of magical tricks. The ultimate magicians magician lets say?

Arguably Johnny Thompson. There is a difference between knowing tricks and knowing magic. Mr Thompson knows both.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
My understanding is that Teller has a huge library and also invents most of the illusions he and Penn perform. That combination seems to qualify him for a spot high on the list. I'm happy to learn otherwise, if anyone has better knowledge about him.
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
I understand Teller consulted with Johnny Thompson for the magical effects in his production of "The Tempest".
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
If I had to name the magician I personally have met who knows the most about magic regarding not only effects, but who invented them, it would have to be Tom Craven. His knowledge is encyclopedic.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
I guess everyone forgot Daryl!?

FWIW
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Max Maven is one of the go-to folks when it comes to the history of magic effects and in particular the provenance and crediting of effects.
IMO, Johnny Thompson probably performs the classics as well as anyone ever did, and knew everybody.
latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
438 Posts

Profile of latentimage
I think this is kind of a odd question, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ricky Jay or Teller. Ricky Jay, Johnny Thompson, Teller and DC are in my opinion the top living magicians and probably know the most tricks. They are also probably the best at actually performing the tricks, which is what really counts.
"Come to the edge," he said, They Said "We Are Afraid," "Come to the edge," he said, They Came, He Pushed Them...And They Flew. -Apollinaire

"If there be a skeptical star, I was born under it. Yet I have lived all my days in complete astonishment." -W. MacNeile Dixon
MontrealMagic
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of MontrealMagic
Ricky jay is more of a card guy. If I am understanding correctly, I guess he is looking for a "master of all"....
I believe Penn and Teller are out as they both admit they are awful with cards (teller told a friend he could not even fan). I think you would have to go through DVD/books to see who has the most on a variety of subjects. Daryl would be in the top of the list for sure, but there are so many talented magicians that it would be hard to pic 1,2 or even 5 that really outshine the others.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
It's a bit like comparing apples, oranges, bananas,& grapes!

Anyway it would always be an extremely SUBJECTIVE OPINION!

At a magic convention, years ago, someone got to all (!!!) the magicians attending, and set up a good laugh for the public show.

At the public show, the MC, in his opening, announced that the WORLDS' GREATEST MAGICIAN had arrived at the convention just before the public show and was in the audience. "I would like for him to stand, be recognized, and then let's all show him that we welcome him with a big round of applause.' The pit band played a fanfare, the MC said, "Here he is!" AND EVERY MAGICIAN IN THE HOUSE STOOD UP!
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
A curious question. When I see the term “magician’s magician”, I think of those guys who ONLY try to fool other magicians; they usually aren’t very successful at entertaining lay audiences.

Glad you chimed in, Dick. I was trying to remember that Thurston story. It’s also been said that (especially in the realm of card magic) if you know only one card trick, but have 50 different reveals, in the audience’s eyes, you know 50 tricks.

It really is apples and oranges. If you know how everything works, but don’t necessarily perform it well, does that count? Is a walking encyclopedia eligible to be a “magician’s magician”? In that case it could be some pimple-faced teenager who spends his days and nights Googling YouTube videos.

Or should you count fame (or name/face recognition)? I know some amazing performers who have never been on television and are relatively unknown.

Me personally, I like to “change up” a routine and make it my own. In that respect, I know the original creator’s effect AND my own adaptation, while he knows only his own. Does that make me smarter than him?

Yeah, that’s it. The answer to the O.P.s question? It’s ME!
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
438 Posts

Profile of latentimage
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2014, MontrealMagic wrote:
Ricky jay is more of a card guy. If I am understanding correctly, I guess he is looking for a "master of all"....

Have you seen Ricky's earlier specials, Deceptive Practice or any of the effects he's created for movies? I think he would probably classify as a master of all.
"Come to the edge," he said, They Said "We Are Afraid," "Come to the edge," he said, They Came, He Pushed Them...And They Flew. -Apollinaire

"If there be a skeptical star, I was born under it. Yet I have lived all my days in complete astonishment." -W. MacNeile Dixon
PeterSteele111
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of PeterSteele111
There really is no one magician above the rest. That's the problem with a lot of magicians, they try and compare themselves to one another when in reality all they are doing is comparing apples to oranges. Every magician and trick that is performed is unique and different in it's own way so there is no real way to compare anyone. That's just the way I view the magic world anyways.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The magicians magician (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL