The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Psychological Profile Average IQ of a Magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ihave
View Profile
New user
ocala,fl
74 Posts

Profile of ihave
Anyone care to tackle this subject? I'm also a pilot, and some of the brightest people you will meet are Pilots. What about in the magic world? Average IQ? Tendency towards certain personality traits?
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
I think it is around 90-100, except for the hobbyists/inventors which iq seems to be higher Smile
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Here is a true tale of a pilot.

I work as an aeronautical engineer.
One day as I was writing up a worksheet one of the RAF fast jet pilots walked in and told the controller he had a fault on the aircraft he had just flown.
When asked what the problem was, he said, "The radio doesn't work."
The controller then asked if it was UHF, VHF etc.
The pilot said, "It doesn't work in the O/F/F position."

I don't know what his IQ was but...
"But there isn't a door"
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
I don't know about IQ, but my guess is that magician and pilots are about equal in their obsession with their particular field of endeavor, particularly when it comes to the hobbyists. IQ is relative to who made the test and has little bearing on reality. And the quality of intelligence is also relative to what discipline is being tested. For example, engineers usually have an excellent capacity for mathematics because they are accustomed to using math in their work, but few can draw well. Artists on the other hand can usually draw well, but steer clear of math. If you are testing for math aptitude then most engineers would test better than most artists. If the test deals with artistic abilities such as drawing or color theory applications, the artists are going to do better.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
In my experience, the non-professional (and professional!) magic communities draw from many different areas: doctors, lawyers, accountants, teachers, engineers, actors, gamblers, musicians, machinists, students, photographers, computer IT. I would say 80% of Magic Café-ers fall into one of the above categories. How about you? Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Darn! Ya missed ME! I'm just an old (very) retired magician who always (since age 7)knew he wanted to be a magician. --And, am/was!

Along the way, I "did" four years in the U.S. Navy. I studied in and graduated from a Catholic Seminary. But, at that point I decided it was not the right thing for me. Then, I spent nine years as a District Executive with The Boy Scouts of America. During those years, I was a part time professional.
Finally, I decided to be a full time pro. I'm now a retired professional.

Oh! I forgot to mention that in my mid teens, I worked as a magician/fire eater in a ten-in-one (side show)!

Where do I fit in your "list"? (hee hee)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Most of the magicians I know and have met
seem to have a higher IQ.
Todd
cruxae
View Profile
New user
Waterloo, ON
6 Posts

Profile of cruxae
IQ doesn't mean as much as you would think it does.

A Myers-Briggs personality type would tell you more, in my opinion
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
There are many types of intelligence (11 at last count) -- and the standard IQ tests only evaluates two -- namely the ability to do well on such tests.

Consider that being a successful performer based on demonstrating the impossible requires a special type of intelligence not testable at all -- except is the "fire of the moment."

Now, if one considers the desire to support a family with such silliness -- magicians generally have a flexible IQ - i.e. "Intelligence Questionable."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
PeterSteele111
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of PeterSteele111
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2014, funsway wrote:
There are many types of intelligence (11 at last count) -- and the standard IQ tests only evaluates two -- namely the ability to do well on such tests.

Consider that being a successful performer based on demonstrating the impossible requires a special type of intelligence not testable at all -- except is the "fire of the moment."

Now, if one considers the desire to support a family with such silliness -- magicians generally have a flexible IQ - i.e. "Intelligence Questionable."

That made me laugh sooo hard. As far as my views on IQ and magicians I have run across some rather duller minded folk that excel at magic. To me it is not IQ that matters but the personality of that person. I always say the simplest tricks are the most effective. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to perform simple tricks well in my book. So I never really equated to two together before.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Psychological Profile Average IQ of a Magician (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL