The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Charity Ripoffs, Top Rated Charities (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
I was watching a CNN investigative report on charities and how some of them are ripoffs. By watching this investigative report on CNN I found this website called charitywatch.org which rates charities on what they are supposed to be doing: making sure the vast majority of money given actually goes to those that are in need of help. I was proud to see on this list that Iraq and Afghan Veterans of America was one of the top rated and given an "A" by charity watch. I also noticed that Wounded Warriors was not one of the top rated. This website contains all kinds of information on charities on their ratings. Very interesting. Here it is: http://charitywatch.org/
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16235 Posts

Profile of tommy
They are a business more or less. Yes, there is nothing new about it.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5017 Posts

Profile of landmark
The Hall of Shame feature was particularly enlightening for me. A lot of famous names I was familiar with, and didn't know they had been under investigation.

The official New York City subway policy bans panhandling, but I always give. I figure I'm cutting out the high-priced middleman. And if the panhandler isn't legit, I feel I'm doing my part to support theater (see The Threepenny Opera).
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
I looked over the Hall of Shame briefly, but I also took the time to look for the some of the highly rated charities. It gives me an opportunity to give in some fashion wisely to charities that deserve to be supported. I am not wealthy by any stretch, but I can offer my services as a magician to deserving charities or give occasionally when I can afford to do so. Some of the highly rated charities that stuck out to me was the Marine Toys For Tots, Iraq and Afghan Vets of America (which I am proud to be a member of, glad to see they are on the list of highly rated charities) and the Salvation Army seems to be highly rated. So, it's a pretty interesting website. It seems like they do a good job of really investigating and knowing which charities are legit and which ones are not.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I volunteer as a bell-ringer for the Salvation Army every year at Christmas time. A superb charitable organization.

As for veterans organizations, there's a lot of hype about Wounded Warrior Project out there, but I've read that not all the money goes to the wounded warriors. I'd be careful with them without further research. Glad I didn't see them on the A-list in OP link above.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2014, Bob1Dog wrote:
I volunteer as a bell-ringer for the Salvation Army every year at Christmas time. A superb charitable organization.

As for veterans organizations, there's a lot of hype about Wounded Warrior Project out there, but I've read that not all the money goes to the wounded warriors. I'd be careful with them without further research. Glad I didn't see them on the A-list in OP link above.


Yes, I have heard some negative things about Wounded Warrior Project from other veterans I have spoken to, so I am a bit leary about them. I did offer some of my services to Iraq and Afghan Vets of America given they are rated very well on this list. Plus, my experience with IAVA being a member is they seem to really care about the vets. It's one of my second homes quite frankly speaking where I generally like to go to when I am I am in need of talking to some of my fellow vets. I also just go to check up on my fellow vets, plus just see what IAVA has been up to and what's going on.

I volunteered some of my services for the Fisher House Foundation as well given they are a top rated charity. Found out a little bit about what they are about when speaking to one of their representatives on the phone. I think, it's important, that when you give, you give wisely and it would seem this website helps in helping others give wisely. I might see about donating a few dollars besides offering my services, but I have to make sure that my family and myself is taken care of first before I help others. It doesn't do any good to help others until you have helped yourself first.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
David Marcus
View Profile
New user
3,375.97 miles outside of Paris, France.
81 Posts

Profile of David Marcus
I saw this on Wikipedia: "According to Charity Navigator (http://www.charitynavigator.org), WWP allocates 55 percent of its revenue to program expenses and 44.8 percent to fundraising and administrative expenses."

And this is from Tampa Bay Times
http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/wo....../2132493

I am not affiliated with Wounded Warrior Project in any way. Just giving out a little info.
“Next to music, beer was best.” - Carson McCullers
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1223 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
I have done shows for the Wounded Warrior Project. One of the reasons they get a bad rap is the donated dollar to cause ratio is lower than others. This is partly because of the amount they pay for advertising, and celebrity endorsements. Granted, with the IAVA more of your dollar goes toward the vets, but the WWP is able to help more vets because of the sheer number of dollars they raise. I am in no way saying one is better or worse than the other. They are both great organisations, and both work for very noble causes.

IAVA has 80% of it's funds go directly to vets and raised just shy of 5 million dollars last year.

WWP has nearly 60% of it's funds go directly to vets and raised nearly 144 million dollars last year.

Both are far better than the Military Order of the Purple Heart which currently boasts an F rating and spends less than 25% of funds on veterans and has numerous instances of blowing money on their executives....one being getting a VIP booth to an NFL game for vets, then using it to hold a party for the employees of the charity, while not allowing the Vets in and making the Vets sit in the general seating area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Or......le_Heart
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2014, w_s_anderson wrote:
I have done shows for the Wounded Warrior Project. One of the reasons they get a bad rap is the donated dollar to cause ratio is lower than others. This is partly because of the amount they pay for advertising, and celebrity endorsements. Granted, with the IAVA more of your dollar goes toward the vets, but the WWP is able to help more vets because of the sheer number of dollars they raise. I am in no way saying one is better or worse than the other. They are both great organisations, and both work for very noble causes.

IAVA has 80% of it's funds go directly to vets and raised just shy of 5 million dollars last year.

WWP has nearly 60% of it's funds go directly to vets and raised nearly 144 million dollars last year.

Both are far better than the Military Order of the Purple Heart which currently boasts an F rating and spends less than 25% of funds on veterans and has numerous instances of blowing money on their executives....one being getting a VIP booth to an NFL game for vets, then using it to hold a party for the employees of the charity, while not allowing the Vets in and making the Vets sit in the general seating area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Or......le_Heart


Thanks the for the info Anderson. I appreciate it! I might consider doing shows for the WWP, but I want to get to know their organization a little bit better. I know IAVA and it's a great organization so I volunteered my services to them.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I tried to Volunteer as a "Bell Ringer" for the Salvation Army. They would not let me work for free. I had to accept the 35% of the "Donated" money. I did not take the job. I still give to the Bell Ringers but it's not from the heart.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2014, irossall wrote:
I tried to Volunteer as a "Bell Ringer" for the Salvation Army. They would not let me work for free. I had to accept the 35% of the "Donated" money. I did not take the job. I still give to the Bell Ringers but it's not from the heart.
Iven Smile


I've never been told I have to accept 35% of donated money, ever. I'd report that to your state Salvation Army officials because it's not the norm I'm familiar with. I've never taken a dime except in the form of a cup of hot coffee from some nice soul. In fact, I'm going to report this to my local chapter of the Salvation Army. That's absurd.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2014, General_Magician wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2014, w_s_anderson wrote:
I have done shows for the Wounded Warrior Project. One of the reasons they get a bad rap is the donated dollar to cause ratio is lower than others. This is partly because of the amount they pay for advertising, and celebrity endorsements. Granted, with the IAVA more of your dollar goes toward the vets, but the WWP is able to help more vets because of the sheer number of dollars they raise. I am in no way saying one is better or worse than the other. They are both great organisations, and both work for very noble causes.

IAVA has 80% of it's funds go directly to vets and raised just shy of 5 million dollars last year.

WWP has nearly 60% of it's funds go directly to vets and raised nearly 144 million dollars last year.

Both are far better than the Military Order of the Purple Heart which currently boasts an F rating and spends less than 25% of funds on veterans and has numerous instances of blowing money on their executives....one being getting a VIP booth to an NFL game for vets, then using it to hold a party for the employees of the charity, while not allowing the Vets in and making the Vets sit in the general seating area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Or......le_Heart


Thanks the for the info Anderson. I appreciate it! I might consider doing shows for the WWP, but I want to get to know their organization a little bit better. I know IAVA and it's a great organization so I volunteered my services to them.


I second GM's thanks for that info Scott. I'm happy to hear that WWP is in fact doing good things for vets. It helps me because I've always supported the project. Goes to show how things can get distorted by poor analysis and reporting.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
It was the Everett, Washington chapter.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
I've never been told I have to accept 35% of donated money, ever. I'd report that to your state Salvation Army officials because it's not the norm I'm familiar with. I've never taken a dime except in the form of a cup of hot coffee from some nice soul. In fact, I'm going to report this to my local chapter of the Salvation Army. That's absurd.


I think the Salvation Army is a great charity as well. I worked on a volunteer basis for them a few times, not doing any magic shows or anything like that, but basically some work that they needed done. I never accepted a dime either from them of course and I never expected to be paid. I felt doing some volunteer work for the Salvation Army really did me some good. You know, you don't think doing some volunteer work like that will do you some good until you do it.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16235 Posts

Profile of tommy
I think the first crime that I ever became aware of was to do with the Salvation Army. My aunty married a fellow who worked for the Salvation Army. He drove a furniture wagon and collected stuff that was given or left to them. I used go and visit, with my mun as a kid. His had hundreds and hundreds of them glass ball things, them things which you shake and it snows inside them. He was stealing them apparently. He used to buy a cheap one from Woolworths, keep it in his pocket and switch it for an antique one when he did the removals. According to my brother.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Charity Ripoffs, Top Rated Charities (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL