The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Jack Avis passes on (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Folks:
Genii Magazine's forum reports that Jack Avis has passed away in England.

Jack may have been best known as the originator of the Siva Count, designed to openly count five cards as four, giving the user the ability to name each of the four shown cards. (An excellent description is found in Mentzer's "Counts, Cuts, Moves and Subtlety, pp. 48-51.)

In 1998, he collaborated with Richard Kaufman on "Vis a Vis," and co-authored "Ahead of the Pack" with Lewis Jones only last year. I was lucky enough to request and receive a signed copy; the book is written as less of a manuscript, and more of a conversation between two old friends.

Peter (Duffie?) wrote on Genii, "Magic has lost a true gentleman and a brilliant creative and technical genius. I am humbled to have been able to meet him and be in his company - even if only a few times." No more need be said.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
My condolences go out to all the friends and family of Jack Avis.
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
I am very sad to hear of this terrible news. It was only in December that I first met him (at the International Convention in London). I refrained from purchasing ahead of the pack, thinking how I could always get it another time. Many of the elder magicians present talked of Jack fondly during the weekend and told me that I must get to know him and talk to him.

Now a great man has passed away, all we have to look back on is fond memories.

Owen
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
This year is truly starting sadly! Jack will be missed by his family, friends, and the magic community at large. I only met him once and that was over 20 years ago. I am saddened by his passing.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
magic soul
View Profile
Regular user
U.K.
104 Posts

Profile of magic soul
I found out that jack avis died a couple or so weeks ago and I didn't know him personally but he was a great magician and I first came across him in the new pentagram reprints.I have also just brought vis'a'vis his first book on his magic it is excellent condollences to family and friends.andy
andy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Jack Avis passes on (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL