The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Invisible Lemon Pouch (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
First video ever of my Invisible Lemon Pouch, I almost don't want to upload this because as pleased as I am with it I know that after performing this all summer it will be incredibly more awesome.

I'm gonna go ahead and do it anyway though, just cause I really like how it came out. Wow. I really think I'm on to something here!



If you watch really close ... I flash the first lemon ... hardly noticeable against the pouch, working exactly like I designed it to. The color scheme is ideal. Still need to work on my body positions and motions, but overall this is one heck of a pouch! It totally kicks lemon butt! Smile

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
funemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville NC
230 Posts

Profile of funemagic
Bravo!
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1016 Posts

Profile of Ado
I liked very much the routine, but I didn't like any of the lemon loads. All the fumbling in the pouch to just drop a ball there? And then the loads themselves are not very natural.

Also, when you show the lemons, make them roll a bit. It will gather attention, otherwise, the eyes may be drawn to your other hand getting dirty.

P!
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
I wonder what you imagine the spectators are thinking when you turn your back to them and fumble around in your pouch like that. That is some of the most guilty-looking handling I think I've ever seen, so I just hope you're not fooling yourself into thinking it's deceptive in any way.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2590 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2014, magicwatcher2005 wrote:
I wonder what you imagine the spectators are thinking when you turn your back to them and fumble around in your pouch like that. That is some of the most guilty-looking handling I think I've ever seen, so I just hope you're not fooling yourself into thinking it's deceptive in any way.



Thinking the same thing. And you also play with your balls to fast. Jokeing aside. Smile
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2014, Ado wrote:
I liked very much the routine, but I didn't like any of the lemon loads. All the fumbling in the pouch to just drop a ball there? And then the loads themselves are not very natural.

Also, when you show the lemons, make them roll a bit. It will gather attention, otherwise, the eyes may be drawn to your other hand getting dirty.


I don't want to move the lemons - the wobbly table is rarely level and there is already a high probability that they will fall to the ground on their own. They don't need my help. A lemon production that doesn't move is what I call "perfect". Smile

As for fumbling, that'll work itself out over summer. I'll be performing this 20 times a day for 100 straight days, so that'll be 10,000 loads. I've noticed some things myself - like I forget to close the pouch after the 2nd load (the act of re-opening the pouch would make the 3rd load smoother). My previous pouch didn't have such a flap, so this is something new to learn.

I'm looking mostly at the pouch itself in this. The sides are designed to mimic a black-art base (that is to say appear thin even with the lemons in it). The flap creates a false wall, so someone can look down and watch the ball land in the pouch and still not see the fruit (its empty even when full, think "change bag"). The yellow lining and stars are strategically placed to mask any flashing. Plus it holds my entire act securely and everything can be carried to the pitch in one trip to the car (including the table). Plus, I have a secret method to get the fruit off the table and back into the pouch without anyone being able to see me do so.



Quote:
On Apr 13, 2014, magicwatcher2005 wrote:
I wonder what you imagine the spectators are thinking when you turn your back to them and fumble around in your pouch like that. That is some of the most guilty-looking handling I think I've ever seen, so I just hope you're not fooling yourself into thinking it's deceptive in any way.


I usually perform "in the round" ... there is no such thing as turning my back to the audience.

Is my load any more suspicious than just dropping the cup under the table and doing it out-of-sight completely? I think not.

Is my load any more suspicious than putting the entire cup inside the pouch so it can't be seen? I think not.

There are very few "natural" looking load methods, and none that would work in the conditions I work in. Even Michael Ammar puts his hand in his pocket to get the load - that is to say, his hand goes out-of-sight.

My method is more deceptive than you realize; perhaps somewhere in the future I will go beyond the scope of this post and explain the method behind my madness.

I will say this much: it is the best method to load cups for an eight year old with an adult standing directly above you. This ability will open up critical pitches to me that were previously closed because they were too small to load lemons in. I expect to make 30% tip revenue with this pouch.



-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2014, JoeJoe wrote:


Is my load any more suspicious than just dropping the cup under the table and doing it out-of-sight completely? I think not.

Is my load any more suspicious than putting the entire cup inside the pouch so it can't be seen? I think not.

There are very few "natural" looking load methods, and none that would work in the conditions I work in. Even Michael Ammar puts his hand in his pocket to get the load - that is to say, his hand goes out-of-sight.

My method is more deceptive than you realize; perhaps somewhere in the future I will go beyond the scope of this post and explain the method behind my madness.

I will say this much: it is the best method to load cups for an eight year old with an adult standing directly above you. This ability will open up critical pitches to me that were previously closed because they were too small to load lemons in. I expect to make 30% tip revenue with this pouch.



-JoeJoe


So, the answer is.... you're fooling yourself.

.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
No, I am not fooling myself. It may be the "most guilty-looking load", but that does not mean it doesn't work. It does work, and it works in the most impossible of conditions. It works in places where other methods do not.

I don't think you have any "street" in you, I don't think we are on the same page when it comes to this trick. This is not about coming up with the most innocent looking load ever ... it is about making money. If I can't load lemons, I can't make money. I don't care if I "look" guilty in the process, the question is did it work?

Make no mistake about it ... there is absolutely no way I could possibly fool myself here ... the answer is in the hat. And the hat says as long it fools people, it doesn't matter how guilty it looks. I assure you, if they catch me ... they don't tip me (I know that to be fact).

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Here is a video with an example location I'm talking about ... you'll notice I don't do the lemon loads here, how could I - there is a kid crawling under the *** table.

I'll be able to load lemons in this pitch using my new pouch this summer and make more money for doing so - this is why I made the pouch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q7YNdY_a04&t=4m17s


-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1016 Posts

Profile of Ado
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2014, JoeJoe wrote:

Is my load any more suspicious than just dropping the cup under the table and doing it out-of-sight completely? I think not.



Well, when that happens, people are *not* looking at the hand that goes under the table, because they'd miss what's happening right now on the table. Their brains can't register that the cup went out of sight. That's what make it work. Not only it is not suspicious, it did not even happen, as far as the spectator is concerned. Here, we're afraid you're giving room for the audience to figure out that this pouch id definitely where the lemons came from, and that they must have been loaded when you were doing that stuff with it.

P!
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
Well, when that happens, people are *not* looking at the hand that goes under the table, because they'd miss what's happening right now on the table.


What I'm doing works just as well as what you describe, there is little difference. On YouTube, you can see my pouch and my table without so much as moving your eye balls ... not possible in person where you have to tilt your entire head to see one from one to the other.

Producing a ball from under the cup does not provide any more misdirection than simply gesturing to the table - in all reality, if you say "look over there" and people look, you have misdirected them. You are DIRECTING them where to look. When I say "one ball left on the table" and gesture towards it, they look at it - it doesn't require a ball appearing to work. You don't have to do anything "magic" to direct someone's attention somewhere.

Laymen have never seen it done. It is not any more "unnatural" to them than just picking the ball up and putting it in your pocket, they don't know any better. You are thinking like a move monkey, not like a magician that performs in front of actual people. Laymen are never looking for a load to begin with, there is no reason run as they are not chasing me. The first three lemons are the easiest because nobody is looking for them.

And regardless ... can't load lemons from under a 2 foot tall table. So even if it is a better method, it is still a method that will not work in the conditions I work in.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
When I hear this song I think of you, JoeJoe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLhttUuraNs#t=01m55s
Astrocity
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of Astrocity
OK,
I know I'm going to regret jumping into this, but seriously...

JoeJoe,
It's obvious that you are a seasoned street performer, one accustomed to making money performing magic on the street, building a crowd and getting them to tip you for your entertainment. That's all well and good, but if you think that these people posting the comments above don't get it, then it's you who are way off base. I'll use the video example you posted to defend your position, the one of you performing for a group of kids with one of them kneeling down in front of your table. Go back and watch the first video you posted, with you using this "revolutionary new lemon loading busker's pouch". Do you really think any of those kids would not have called you out for turning sideways, fumbling around in the pouch, turning back, bringing the cup up to the lip of the pouch, then do a weird little scoop of the cup as you place it down...all just to drop one of the balls into your pouch??!! Look, the first lemon load might fly by most people, the lemon is in place for the load and there isn't any premature fumbling with the pouch as you drop the ball into it. The 2nd & 3rd however are ridiculous, you have to turn away and position the lemon properly in the lip of the pouch, just to turn back and then drop the ball into the pouch as you put the cup up to it as well. Forgive me, why not just drop the ball into the pouch, palm the lemon as you do, and then load the cup as you put it on the table, just as you do with every ball load in your entire routine? also, if you think no one will notice that the lip of your pouch goes from 3-4 inches wide before the cup goes up to it, to 1 inch after, again I think you are kidding yourself. It's not like the black art principle, the black art principle only works because the color black allows you to create a lack of depth perception that only works on a black background.

Your routine is a very nice routine and an entertaining one. Your work with the balls, the loading and moving them around from cup to cup is great and your vanishes are very nice. Lose the notion that you've found this great new "super clean" solution to the final lemon loads for your routine. Keep the lemons in your pouch, as you do anyway, drop the balls in, palm the lemons out, load the cups and collect your cheers and your tips. No one is commenting here to put you down or make you feel bad. they are offering constructive criticism and making very valid points. If you don't want to hear what people think about your videos...don't post them. Let's see if I'm wrong, re-tape that routine WITHOUT using "the amazing pouch lip loading device", just palm and load the lemons and see what these exact people who have commented say.
Hank Morfin
http://www.MorfinMagic.com
Hank Morfin Rocks!
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
You will only regret things you do not do, never things you do do.

I have no reason to defend anything, as a "seasoned street performer", I know better than to dismiss something because I "fumbled" with it - the solution to fumbling is more practice, not giving up!!! You should re-read that over and over and over again.

I don't need to re-film it without the pouch, you can watch it here. The pouch I am using in this video does not work "close-up", therefore the invisible lemon pouch's sole purpose in life is to let me load lemons close-up.

I also want to point out that I never ever used the word you quoted me - "revolutionary" - nor did I ever say it was "super clean". I made it very clear in my initial post this was the first video and I myself see room for improvements. In fact, I didn't disagree with the statement that it is the most guilty looking load ever. You are twisting my statements to make it sound like I have said things I have never said.

I'm certainly not mad or upset or anything of that nature - I'm just being blunt and honest here. If you think the pouch sucks fine, but I didn't post this to find out if it sucks or not - I already know it does not. I filmed it looking for ways to make it better ... throwing it away it NOT an option. It passed a field test at a festival last week and I have made the decision ... I will be working out of this pouch this summer. I am of the opinion that I will be wearing this pouch the rest of my life, or at least an improved version of it - the new design is leading me to new ideas. Smile

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Astrocity
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of Astrocity
JoeJoe,

For someone who has no reason to defend themselves, that was pretty defensive. Again, I was not attacking you, nor was I trying to twist your words. I too, was just being blunt and honest, as were the other people who chose to comment on this thread. It's your act and your routine, so what you think is ultimately all that matters. I was trying to point out that using your gimmicked pouch seemed to be over complicating the lemon loads. Keeping to "blunt and honest", I honestly think the pouch loads are terrible, just my opinion but I don't think I'm alone in that opinion. I just don't see how all the messing about can be easier, cleaner, or more deceptive than a simple lemon palm when throwing the balls into your pouch. You obviously feel otherwise so I'll keep any further thoughts, suggestions or opinions on the subject to myself. I hope it works out as well for you as you anticipate it will and you have many successful sets on the streets this summer.
Hank Morfin
http://www.MorfinMagic.com
Hank Morfin Rocks!
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
Okay folks, show's over! Move along... nothing to see here...
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
Oops, I was wrong. There's one last act that explains just about everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7G15W9y......t=02m05s
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
This show doesn't even start until June 8th when I walk out on the boardwalk. Smile

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Invisible Lemon Pouch Take Two - lots of improvements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE8dfJjh0pw

I want to be clear that these videos are not "performance" videos! In Take Two, I include a few important dropped lines - the mis-direction you are looking for. Pay attention, you are about to learn something:

If I need to fumble with the pouch ... all I have to do is say ... "what's your name kid" ... and nobody is looking at me.

That is a valuable sentence - I should charge you for that sentence - read that sentence again - because you will never ever learn that in a mirror!!! I don't even have to say that much, if I just say "kid" everyone turns to look at him!!! One single word and I can steal an elephant from my pouch!!!



People could care less about anything on my table. I don't rely on 'props' for misdirection, they are worthless - if I throw my cup over the boardwalk into the lake nobody cares. If I throw that kid over the boardwalk I'm going to jail! To everyone in my audience, that kid is priceless - he is the most valuable asset I have to work with. They are human beings, they are greedy and selfish and don't care about anyone but themselves - and I'm turning the tables and using that against them. Make no mistake about it, I understand exactly what misdirection is and how to take full advantage of the strongest misdirection I have at my disposal.

A "performance" is not possible alone in my living room, as my loads are extremely extemporaneous depending on who is in my audience, where they are standing, and our already previously established relationship. Techniques I learned watching comedians work rooms. Even in this Take Two I realize I never established "George" - a running gag that will make no sense watching this. I just feel awkward talking to invisible children in my living room, people already think I'm crazy - I don't need to be providing them with proof!!!



Now when I saw the first video ... I said to myself "I can make that work - I've got the chops to take that to the boardwalk and use it". If you saw that video and didn't think you had the skill sets to pull it off ... well, that's not my problem. I mean - I already know I can make it work, I've got tax returns to prove it.



Anyways ... I think everyone will agree Take Two has a lot of improvements, and maybe now it's promise is more noticeable. Those lemons are huge - if you look close you might notice the cup on your right is not totally flat on the table, the back end is sticking up over half an inch because the lemon doesn't fit into the cup - I had to be very careful not to hit it with the wand or wobble the table or it would roll and the lemon would be exposed. There is no way my tiny hands could palm those lemon without the assistance of a pouch.

And this one will work much better than my previous black one. I'm very excited about it, the fact that I can even sew a pouch at all is exciting to me - had to buy a sewing machine and learn how to work it and everything. I've got a lot into this. No other options - it is the only way I'll get the pouch of my dreams. I'm very close. Smile

-JoeJoe

Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1016 Posts

Profile of Ado
Definitely improvements. It's much better. Now, if you could avoid spending 20 seconds each time with the hand in the pouch... Asking the kid his name takes 1 second, not twenty...
Can't you put the lemons on sticks or something in the pouch, so that you don't need your right hand at all? Swiftly put the cup on the lemon (which is in mid-air in the pouch, on its stick), tilt the cup forward, disengaging the lemon, and then put the cup on the table with the loaded lemon. If that were to work, *that* would fool people.

P!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Invisible Lemon Pouch (11 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL