The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Pick A Coin, Any Coin by Danny Archer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

academy
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of academy
Have you ever seen "Pick a coin, any coin" by Danny Archer? Is it good?

In effect: A clear plastic bag filled with coins is shown. While the magician turns his head, a spectator picks a coin... any coin! The coin is shown to the audience and then dropped inside the bag and shaken by the spectator. The magician then reaches inside and removes a coin, which he claims to be the spectator's chosen coin. But how can anyone be 100% sure? Well, the spectator could sign or initial the coin. And that's exactly what happens. The initialed coin is dropped into the bag and again the bag is shaken, mixing all the coins. The magician plunges his empty hand into the bag and emerges with the initialed coin!

Thanks
Academy
:spinningcoin:
Hunter
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Hunter
Academy: I have seen it done by Danny Archer, himself, and it is good. I do it with regularity and it plays very well with both laymen and magi. One correction to your description...An opaque cloth bag filled with coins is shown. I use an old bank deposit type draw string bag. Hope this helps. Hunter
invalidity
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of invalidity
I too have seen it myself at a lecture. The method is pretty ingenious and there is quite a bit of room for byplay. That said, this trick just doesn't impress me. That's just my personal opinion, though.
academy
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of academy
Hello Hunter, actually the above description is not mine but it comes from Hocus Pocus (and they add "No force bag is used; you can use any type of bag you wish, opaque or clear! ".)

Hope someone can make more light.
Academy
invalidity
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of invalidity
Because of the method used in this trick, it may not be desirable to actually use a clear bag although I recall vaguely that Danny did suggest an alternative handling when using a clear bag. I think. Smile
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Available now at vanishing magic for $22.50. You could also by the lecture DVD with this affect in many others for $4.50 or $8.13 with shipping.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
WOW old thread!! Still worth the discussion.

I agree the lecture DVD will show you the "how" if all you are seeking is the secret. The props needed (which you may already have) cost about $15.00 to $25 depending on sourcing so going the DVD route is not a bad idea.

The trick sold by Vanishing Inc.,. Penguin, Dany Archer via his website, and others includes a small cloth bag and the two necessary gaffus (gaff and or gimmick) required to make the magic happen and online instructions. You will have to provide 10 or more quarters and a sharpie. As you can see that doing it "out of the box" requires that you add a bit more to the props provided.

the basic routine is exactly as described. With a bit of creativity you can show a handful of different coins (penny, nickel, dimes - think Richard Osterlind here) and yet the person will pull out only their quarter when they reach in initially.

This is a pretty solid middle of the act routine and interestingly can be done table hopping as part of a set or a standalone routine. I've used it in a walk around situation and again as a table hopping piece.

The bag can indeed be any small bag. I tend to use a small, lunch size, paper bag. However, I believe that it plays stronger if the bag is opaque. Seeing the coins through the bag lessens the effect ("he saw my coin through the bag so how could he miss?!?").

I saw it performed by Danny at lecture and put it together from stuff I had laying around including quarters from my change jar. I added a bit to it that I've alluded to above to make the discovery appear more impossible. I've been performing this since 2005 or 06 after the lecture.

This is not a difficult routine in terms of technical difficulty. It has a soft laugh or two, is interactive, and provides a good mystery.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
bobinsdakota
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of bobinsdakota
I can't seem to find this trick anywhere in the U.S. version. Which props would I need to get.... I have a TT?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Everything you need to know is in the Danny Archer "At the Table Live Danny Archer Lecture" on Penguin Magic. it is a $6.20 download (as of today 12-16-19).
https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S21160
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
bobinsdakota
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of bobinsdakota
Thank you Harry.....Merry Christmas
bobinsdakota
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of bobinsdakota
Well darn.....I followed that link and just bought the download only to find out the "Pick any coin" routine is NOT explained, just performed.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
He explains it in his penguin live lecture, if that helps.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Pick A Coin, Any Coin by Danny Archer (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL