The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How would you respond to this comment? (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
I am with zucchini on this . I would never use a child that just walked up .
It would just show that its ok to break the rules phil
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Jay, turning a concern into a chance to pitch a show might seem like good marketing, but it could also appear that you are a shameless salesman, and could put people off you and your show. I would not respond as you suggested for that reason.
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
I totally agree with Tony regarding Jays suggested reply. The worst thing you can do at this time is pitch your services. That insensitively conveys the message that the clients concern isn't even being heard. And its like saying only if you hire me, will I prove to you that I can do better.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Weigh the comments and move on. I don't see the point in responding.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
What some people in the audience can't understand is that, as entertainers, we cannot condone children just walking up to the performing area during a show. That encourages OTHER children to do the same thing. We have to keep control of our shows.

I too have INVITED special needs children to assist during the show. They have a great time. But this woman e mails you with the thought that you should have actually LET the child help after walking up uninvited and she doesn't realize that had you LET that child help, MORE children would have thought "OH! I can just walk up there and I can help!"

I would just leave the e mail alone. You know you did the right thing but she will probably not understand that.
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
The lady's original comment contained the line 'especially if they are behaving properly'. Walking up onto the stage when you had already picked someone else was not 'behaving properly' and if you had allowed him to join in you would have been sending out the wrong message. So long as you dealt with him kindly, with no harsh reprimands, I can see no problem with what you did.
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2805 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2014, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Tom, I can't tell you how many times I have brought up a concern (complained) to an employee and had them politely explain why they do what they did etc etc. What I really wanted was for them to simply acknowledge that they heard and understood my concern. Many times I don't expect someone to take action on my one comment. I just want to know they heard it.

Exactly Mike.

Good customer service is not about explaining things away, it's about listening to the concern. Ninety percent of the time that's all it takes to fix a problem, just hear them out. Customers want/like to be heard.

If this was a survey that you passed out asking for feedback then you did the right thing by thinking it through before making a decision. Surveys are not meant to be ego boosters. Be thankful for those that are honest and pay close attention to those that do complain. As Bill Gates once said, "Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning."

Honestly, I got a feeling that this women was only wanting to be heard. Just trying to help and really didn't see it as complaining. The survey gave her a voice and that was most likey all she needed.

As for as handing the child in such a situation, I'm not sure there is a set way to handle it. It's very hard to make split second decisions and get em all right. I can see somebody like Zucchini or Tony shouting "get back in your seat before I make you disappear" in a comical way that would never be questioned by anyone. But I can also see somebody like Ross, stopping the show to spend an extra minute with the child that would also be well received by everybody. I think it all comes down to personality. Best to just go with your gut at the time.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2014, TonyB2009 wrote:
Jay, turning a concern into a chance to pitch a show might seem like good marketing, but it could also appear that you are a shameless salesman, and could put people off you and your show. I would not respond as you suggested for that reason.

I was going to say that I was being somewhat sarcastic but in retrospect, I remember being younger and frequented bars and getting dates that way. That happened because I had one thing on my mind and pursued it relentlessly even when they were complaining about.. anything!

A few magicians that have a one track mind: Ginn, to watch him turn a chance interaction into a sales opportunity is an experience. Bauer is another one. Even Zuk mentioned he would make imaginary phone calls advertiseing his services, when in the presence of his target groups parent.

I think there is some merit to the "Buy or Die" approach. I wouldn't stand on a street corner handing out flyers but when someone makes contact you can ask Smile and they can say no.
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of The Great Zucchini
Jay, great post. It always cracks me up when people bring up that phone bit, because it was so long ago, and I didn't do it a lot. I just, at the time, was doing whatever I could to get my name out, when I first started. I wouldn't say it was a main part of marketing plan, lol.

Yea, I'm quick and swift, but I'm soft spoken, because I don't want to humiliate a child that I have to sit back down. I will say this though, if the same child that I have to sit back down, is sitting like the other kids, at some point during the show, I call them up for another trick. I say, 'do you know why I called you up here? I've been watching how well you've been sitting criss cross, and you're being rewarded, buddy'. I compliment him in front of everyone, and he shines, and parents love it, as it sends a clear fun message to your audience.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Joel Bauer's Hustle Hustle exemplifies the bullish attitude. His straight forward all or nothing motto makes my suggestion look like a beginners attempt to book shows. Imagine if a used car salesman decided to be a party magician... Wait. I know someone like that, and while he bought a house he's not very well liked by other magicians. Although, he would tell you, he is not in business to make the other magicians happy.

On another note.
If your first name was Gad, then you would be Gad Zukes
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How would you respond to this comment? (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL