We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Discussion on..."Just go out & Do It" (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Mr. Danny
View Profile
Loyal user
North Central Louisiana
249 Posts

Profile of Mr. Danny
Motivation?

When a child looks up with wonder in their eyes, or the older gentleman goes to get his wife: (you've got to see this!). Yes, I was really bad that first time, but, the times like these made it all worth while.
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2014, Mario Morris wrote:

First of they are hear and I think we often hear from them, sterotypying and using the words like fail or failer is unconstrutive so apologize!

I'm sorry.
(I had a communication fail.)
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2014, gman wrote:

Ark I take offense to the first part of your post. [...] I think making generalized statements like you did in your post can do more harm than good.

You shouldn’t. If you read my post again, you’ll see that you’ve done exactly what I think is the right way. You’ve gone out there - and I know - you more or less always suck in the beginning. But you’re about to do it again, and again. That makes you something out of the ordinary. You're not one of the hundreds of people who ask: “I need help, help me, what brand of cards is best for the streets, what clothes should I wear, what if I drop my pants”-kind of stupid questions. When they haven't even tried their material on the street in the first place. Perhaps I was unclear - and a bit harsh. (And about that part - if you really go out there and start perform on the streets - and this post made you take offence - well. The streets are tougher. So is feedback from fellow artists.)

What I meant by “fail” was people who don’t go out there again - as in “fail doing street - ever again”. Also, if you are a crappy magician and you plan on doing magic, you will not only fail on the street part, but on the magic part as well. That is an epic fail.

I take for granted in a discussion of this sort, that people who ask about how to street perform do have an act and know the tricks they are gonna do. Otherwise this is the wrong forum.

/Ark
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
SD Houston
View Profile
New user
Billings, MT
61 Posts

Profile of SD Houston
I have another question. When you guye perform street magic, how do you do it location-wise? Do you stroll around, go into bars and clubs, or set up a small table at certain point and catch people as they're walking by? Or a combination of any of the above?
The art of anything is taking the time to learn everything
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Lol, I could write a book on my first failed street performing attempts on the streets. Ark is so right if I was not persistent, stubborn a determand bonehead I would not have made it as a street performer. This chapter in my life seem to go on for ever the truth is I did not care my desire for success was greater it drove me. With out doubt I experienced huge growing spurts when ever I had a mentor, who weren't always buskers.
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Ark you have to understand it has been a little over 3 years since I had that disaster of a show. I am just now getting the itch to perform magic again. I didn't really make the decision to try magic again until 2 weeks ago when I as at a magic show with my granddaughter and the guy who performed made my disaster show look pretty good. I figured if he can do as bad as he did and have the people that paid him say he did a good job then I can do better than that. So I figured I would give it another go.

Mario, maybe you can give my Irish stubbornness a kick in the pants in Oct. because I plan on coming out to the master class. At least that is my plan.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
I am looking forward to meeting you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOy0YgUDwDg
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
No matter how swell you think your routines are, if you've never done this before you're basically "going out and doing it".

Just put something responsibly together and go for it.

Everyone sucks at first. You quickly realize what keeps people from walking away.

My advice is simple..
1. get out there a.s.a.p. with whatever.
2. when people walk away mid-routine, say to yourself... "thank you. thank you. I just learned from you"
3. (most important and the hardest of all) ... do it again as soon as possible.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
This is probably the most important topic ever discussed in the whole of The Magic Café
and of course The Sidewalk Shuffle. Please do yourself a favour and having said that,
It isn't until you have done so that you
can probably gauge yourself good, bad, or indifferent...

Get out there and "Just Do It!" as per the Nike advertisement!
(Courtesy of Abigail McBride)
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2014, gman wrote:
I figured if he can do as bad as he did and have the people that paid him say he did a good job then I can do better than that. So I figured I would give it another go.

Sound like a good reason, as long as you look forward to it. Please let us know how it goes.

Perhaps we should start a "fail-thread" where we are to report about the worst showes on the streets - so that everyone knows that everybody fails from time to time.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
MICHEAL Ammar said:"everybody needs a place to be bad". for him it was the old people homes for others it is the street.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Ha! Bob! Mark Leddy (booking agent and talent "coordinator" for the old Ed Sullican Show) said (40 + years ago)::: "There's no place left to be lousy in!" Hee Hee
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
This spring (if it ever gets here in the Midwest) will be my first attempt at busking. I've been performing for many, many years. But being hired to do a show and street performing are 2 different beasts. I'm excited, nervous, scared all at the same time. But, I figure....what's the worst thing that can happen? If I suck, people will just walk away...odds are they won't kill me. So, all in all, that's not so bad. I have a complete set worked out and rehearsed. I'm just waiting to see how long it will take for me to be thinking...."ok this routine doesn't work here....this line is flat....I need more scripting here.....lol. probably will happen just after the first gathering...lol.
oh well, I'm hoping to get out in 2-3 weeks....so I will report back and let you know how much I sucked....lol.
patrick
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey Robert! Think POSITIVE!

Yes! a club date is a 'different beast'. But, if you understand that, you're already half way there!

Yes, you may get a "fleeing ovation". But, they wont tar & feather you!!!

Gene Anderson (T&R Newspaper) when he was starting out, would audio tape EVERY SHOW. On his way home, he would listen to audience reactions (while the whole show was fresh in his mind). Later, he would make notes of every response and every laugh. Tapes don't lie! He was "ruthless" in critiquing his own show. Every show got better. (It wasn't that bad in the first place!

Even better, if you have a friend with a video camera, there's nothing like seeing yourself!

Think positive thoughts!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
OOOPS~ I meant Patrick (as in Flanagan)!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
OOOPS~ I meant Patrick (as in Flanagan)!
SD Houston
View Profile
New user
Billings, MT
61 Posts

Profile of SD Houston
Hmmm, video. When I try hitting the street this summer, I may have to find a friend to come along with a camcorder my first time or two around. Thanks, Dick!
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
665 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Mario said something that interested me because I was much the same way. Something about having a hard head. I think there are many performers who share that quality. It takes us awhile to figure it out, and as a result we have to become inured to the pain of failure. Of course there are successes, that's what keep us going, striving to overcome our own limitations. But we keep going, stalking that perfect show.
Personally I don't care if someone wants to sit at home for a year or more, preparing themselves for the street. As long as their hopes aren't inflated by their own estimation of their pure skill. I do think it better if they get out there with three tricks they know cold and do what they can as soon as possible. No expectations, just for recon if nothing else. With the simple aim of learning something. For as Robert mentioned, otherwise there are few other places to be bad.
SD Houston
View Profile
New user
Billings, MT
61 Posts

Profile of SD Houston
Quote:
Personally I don't care if someone wants to sit at home for a year or more, preparing themselves for the street. As long as their hopes aren't inflated by their own estimation of their pure skill. I do think it better if they get out there with three tricks they know cold and do what they can as soon as possible. No expectations, just for recon if nothing else. With the simple aim of learning something. For as Robert mentioned, otherwise there are few other places to be bad.

This is a problem I've had on many occasions. I start trying to learn something, then find myself spending too much time 'studying' and not enough time 'doing', ultimately ending in dismal failure. This is a habit I'm working hard on breaking, as I refuse to let my magic suffer the same fate. I've given myself a hard goal of 2 months to get a few tricks down and take downtown this summmer.
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
You all ready know the tricks...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Discussion on..."Just go out & Do It" (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL