The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Where do most beginners learn magic nowdays? (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TravisNye
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of TravisNye
I was caught in between book/DVD era and YouTube era. I started out with no access to books or video teaching magic, and no internet at the time. I watched a lot of worlds greatest magic and recorded them to study every move to try and catch something. I began with cards and started creating my own ways of recreating other effects I seen on TV. I later learned most of my methods were already done and gave me the confidence to know I was on the right track. Now I have a keen enough eye and I am creative enough most effects I can watch the promo video and come up with the method or at least my own method. If I do not see how it is done in the promo video I just turn to YouTube and watch some kid perform it hours after receiving the secrets and fail horribly revealing the secret to me. I am actually proud of doing it this way because it allows me to see how its done without being taught by the creator making it easier to make the trick my own instead of copying someone else handling and patter. Do not fear I do support the magic community and I do purchase effects from those I feel represent the magic industry properly.
Photoboy
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Photoboy
Find a group! Books you tube DVDs are good. But being able to show and get advice in person with people that have real knowledge is priceless.
djjkarate
View Profile
New user
Always Sunny in Seattle
56 Posts

Profile of djjkarate
I watch "good" performances via what ever media is available (TV, internet, magic websites that display the trick)
Then I go to youtube where the trick is usually displayed in a "teaching/slow motion" type performance to see the mechanics and if the trick will fit my personality.
Printed material is usually the last resort as it is "one dimensional" for me.. I don't learn as well by reading, I learn by watching and doing...

Everyone is different.. Find and/or try what works best for you...

cheers,
don

Smile
cockyroach
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of cockyroach
I was learning from YouTube, which I figured out quickly from this forum is a bad idea. I'm picking up RR on Friday, and gonna see if they can recommend anything else (lucky to have a magic shop a few blocks away from me -- was only in there once to kill time and the clerk blew our mind).
GreenKnight33
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of GreenKnight33
As someone who has only started learning card magic for about a year, and has had no previous experience in the magic community at all, I have noticed at times a strong reaction against visual learning a la videos/DVD. I may have misunderstood the objection, in that perhaps the critique was more about the poor videos on YT (poor method plus exposure) that then sours their whole take on the value of visual learning. Since magic does have a high component of visual art to it, it seems only fair that there should be a commensurate amount of visual learning provided.
I love books, but I definitely see the value in watching a move or effect. I have currently going through RRTCM along with the R. Paul Wilson DVD set. Both are really helpful for me understanding how best to hold my hands etc. I’m also realizing that there is a level of learning in how to read ‘magic text’. Each craft/art/area of study has their own way of describing things (art, philosophy, gardening), and to boot there is lots of magic jargon that I’m familiarizing myself with (which just takes time). Sometimes though, even with all that taken into account, the text is just confusing and unless I see a video of the move, I’m out of luck. I’m leery of purchasing more expensive magic books at $50 bucks, since there’s the chance I’ll read the handling of an effect and still having no idea or the wrong idea of proper technique. As someone new to the art, I really want to learn the right technique, so visuals from the creator help cement in that I’ve understood correctly from the text.
I would love more pairing up of the text and video. Like the RRTCM and RRTCM DVD, or the Giobbi Card College with small video files that show the move as well, is hopefully something that will continue.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
You tube mostly, imo.

Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
lopike
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of lopike
Youngsters these days start with youtube. But alias the gems are in books.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On May 17, 2014, lopike wrote:
Youngsters these days start with youtube. But alias the gems are in books.

And they (gems) will remain hidden then Smile

Cardamagically...
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Before you begin learning magic, you have to find what you are interested in learning. These choices are influenced by your 1st exposure to magic performances of some nature, like close-up or stage/stand-up magic. Then you have to start with what you are drawn to, cards, coins, dice, etc. Then seek out information on the best of the tricks in your category of interest.

I was about 7 or 8 years old, my brother took me down town, he was more adventurous then I and older. We went into the local magic store. There the owners son showed me tricks in my price range. I had a quarter to spend.

The problem, as I see it, with this type of introduction to magic was I was being sold magic that the sales clerk could sell me. It was good tricks, but after watching Mark Wilson on television, that was my interest in magic. Stand-up tricks, and here I was buying card tricks, or the latest new item he wanted to move out of inventory. It did give me a good rounded exposure to all type of magic, but it was not moving me forward to a magic act of any kind. Having different forms and kinds of tricks that could be shown around not the path to performing shows or creating an act.

When I discovered there were other magic stores and manufacturing companies, many years had passed, the local magic store did not want to lose any of my purchasing power to other stores. Things did not start to fall in alignment until I purchased magic catalogs. See there were different kinds and types of tricks to chose from.

Today, I think that browsing the internet and the many magic catalog sites may be a good way to learn about what is being offered. search your interest first, then browse through other topics. Don't - Don't - buy the latest hyped tricks on the market until you get some buying knowledge behind you. If you have questions, and the reviews don't answer you question, search the Café, or post your question in a topic.

As stated by others, go to the library and local book store and pick up some general magic books to take a look at, some cover many subjects of interest.

This way you will not have drawers and boxes of tricks that don't interest you, and you will have money to buy the magic tricks you will actually use for years to come.

Start with the best in magic, like Harry Lorayne, Daryl, Ed Marlo, Lewis Ganson, David Roth, Larry Jenning, Cervon, etc.

A good book to start with is Bill Tarr's Now You See It, Now You Don't! This touches on all forms of magic as well.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It is also advantageous to learn a skilled magic method. Rocco and the late Jay Marshall were experts at Sleeving. Michael Ammar and the late Patrick Page were adapt with the Topit. Then there is the Holdout or The Invisible Hand as the product is referred to now. Having skills that very few have mastered will give you more unique skills above other magicians in your area.

If someone can simply run out and buy a magic trick that you were doing, it is not as much of a mystery than something they have no clue how you could do such a miracle from the apparatus that is purchased.

While in a magic shop, a young man came in and asked for Invisible Thread. I plunked down a card wrapped with thread, the kid looked puzzled, turned and walked away. I am sure he was thinking, that thread on that cards is not invisible. I had to laugh to myself.
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Since the question was asked using the phrase "now days"... I think it is fair to say that in certain areas there is certainly more opportunity for people wanting to learn a technique or a certain trick than in others due to nothing more than population density and the availability to have a true brick & mortar magic shop in your area. As a beginner I did but currently do not have that luxury and I'm forced to purchase from the online stores. Now don't get me wrong some of the online stores are very helpful and offer excellent customer service but there is just something to be said for the mentoring aspect missed out on by not having that brick & mortar store and one-on-one, face-to-face service of days gone by.

With all of this being considered my guess would be that most people as well as beginners "Now Days" are getting there magic education from DVDs and instant downloads simply for the visual benefit and less than before reading books or lecture notes as was in the past due to the technical advancement in teaching/learning materials. Although there is nothing wrong with the advancements I feel many will miss out some very beneficial information due to the easy of watching DVDs and not purchasing older books and lecture notes.... I know I for one am guilty of it.

Either way learning is learning and if you have the desire to learn you will find a way. Smile
Andrew Immerman
View Profile
Regular user
California
108 Posts

Profile of Andrew Immerman
Not having taken a poll, I'd venture a guess and agree with fellow responders that YouTube is the predominant source for beginner learning today. That said, I believe that beginner learning should be done from a balanced diet of books, videos, mentors, and practice. From my point of view, the only critical element is that all instruction and practice be of the highest possible grade. For example, sleight instruction should include prerequisites, background, techniques, alternatives, practice techniques, applications, etc..

Since I'm primarily a card guy, I'll give card examples. Books: Royal Road (Hugard), Card College (Giobbi), and Close-Up Card Magic (Lorayne). Videos: Card College (Giobbi), Royal Road (Wilson), and Encyclopedia (Daryl). Modern Magic (Hoffmann) and Greater Magic (Hilliard) are outstanding books for general magic.

Andrew
challengedmichael
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of challengedmichael
I have always been lucky enough to stumble into other magicians where ever I have lived and have learned from others. I do enjoy learning from books and DVD's. I feel for the individual who only uses YouTube as a reference because one has to sift through a large quantity of very poorly performed magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Where do most beginners learn magic nowdays? (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL