The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Annemann's Voice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matt Chalk
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
166 Posts

Profile of Matt Chalk
Hi everyone

I'm doing a school drama presentation on Annemann and was wondering if anyone knows if he had an accent or particular voice?

Thank you
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5132 Posts

Profile of Amirá
I doubt that anyone will appreciate in the audience personal characteristics of Theo.

You can create a fictional character that plays the role of a psychic instead, creating your own touches to create something more memorable to an impression/imitation of someone who nobody knows in the normal population.

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Matt Chalk
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
166 Posts

Profile of Matt Chalk
Thanks for your thoughts Amirá

We had to choose someone that influenced something or someone in one way or another and that is why I choose Annemann.
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1456 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
I'm not sure if there are any recordings of Annemann speaking. If there are, I'd love to hear them!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I'm not aware of any voice recordings made by Annemann. But I'm really interested to know how you are planning to show how Annemann influenced you to an audience of laypeople.
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
As a starting point, I'd be looking for someone else who was around at the same time, same state (New York.)
Maybe someone like Moe Howard:
http://otrrlibrary.org/OTRRLib/Library%2......oges.mp3
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

New York State accents (and northern Pennsylvania) are very different than those of the five boroughs of New York City. They are much closer to a Mid-west accent, though they have their own distinct peculiarities.
Matt Chalk
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
166 Posts

Profile of Matt Chalk
Cheers for all the help guys Smile

Bob I'm showing how Annemann was such a successful performer and person in general but in the end he met a terrible fate (his suicide) so it's essentially showing how success doesn't come easy.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
I LOVE the New York accent. Not sure which one it is though. I'm thinking Sarah Silverman but someone will probably point out that I'm completely mistaken!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18687 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Judging by how he wrote, I always read it (in my head) in a lenny bruce kinda tone...
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18687 Posts

Profile of IAIN
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4765 Posts

Profile of landmark
Much as I like Lenny, his voice was not upstate New York. The accent from other parts of New York State as Bob said can be very different from the accent of those in NYC. As you go back in time, that becomes more true.

As a starting point, look at this link, under the heading Radio, for some idea of the current accent in Waverly where Annemann was born and spent much of his life:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waverly,_Tioga_County,_New_York

As you may be aware, there's also footage (on YouTube I believe) of Annemann doing the bullet catch. It is silent however.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Lenny Bruce had more of a Manhattan/Jewish accent on stage.

While Annemann is certainly a legend in our art, it is primarily for his creations. His success as a performer was only sporadic and his personal life was hardly what one would call successful. Bad marriages, debt and alcohol abuse all contributed to his suicide.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1588 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:

While Annemann is certainly a legend in our art, it is primarily for his creations. His success as a performer was only sporadic and his personal life was hardly what one would call successful. Bad marriages, debt and alcohol abuse all contributed to his suicide.

Interesting and sad. I often wondered why Annemann killed himself at such a young age.
Matt Chalk
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
166 Posts

Profile of Matt Chalk
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:

That is what I am trying to portray. That Annemann was not only a genius and a brilliant man but that he lived a very harsh and sad life for various other reasons.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I guess I misunderstood your earlier post where you referred to his success as a performer and in his personal life.

Quote:
Bob I'm showing how Annemann was such a successful performer and person in general...
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
942 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
It's always interesting to see how historical figures are portrayed in movies. For example, Lincoln is usually portrayed as having a fairly deep, moving voice, but in reality he had a higher pitched, nasally, voice as is typical of many from Southern Illinois. Daniel Day Lewis probably got the closest to capturing this in the recent film than any other actor. That being said, I don't understand how reproducing Anneman's voice, if that is your intention, would really help you out that much.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18687 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2014, MRSharpe wrote:
It's always interesting to see how historical figures are portrayed in movies. For example, Lincoln is usually portrayed as having a fairly deep, moving voice, but in reality he had a higher pitched, nasally, voice as is typical of many from Southern Illinois. Daniel Day Lewis probably got the closest to capturing this in the recent film than any other actor. That being said, I don't understand how reproducing Anneman's voice, if that is your intention, would really help you out that much.

haven't you answered your own question though? wanting to capture it to add authenticity...
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4765 Posts

Profile of landmark
You might be able to get some ideas from here:

There's also an interesting verbal portrait of the personality of Annemann in The Phoenix, written after his death, by Bruce Elliott. If you're interested in it, PM me.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2529 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Good luck Matt---let us know how it goes!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Annemann's Voice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL