The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Favorite Comedy Warm Ups (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
David Ginn first covered the topic of comedy warm ups over 3 decades ago. Many children's entertainers like Ken Scott and Silly Billy have covered this topic on their DVD's, and it has been covered in here sporadically but not with much detail during the past 6 years.

I would love to hear some fresh new ideas from many of you out there not so much about warm ups in general, but specifically your favorite comedy warm ups.

Warm ups in general are the easy part. That's initializing interaction while setting the stage with ground rules to establish control. Let's skip to the more fun step. What is your favorite routine or dialogue you use with consistent success to warm up the crowd while generating immediate laughter to jump start your party with lots of humor?

- Gary
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
One of my favorites is found in Duane Laflin's book "Warm-Ups & Wake-Ups book called touch "Touch Your Chin". It works great for family audiences. This book is a great source of information, http://www.laflinmagicstore.com/ProductD......de=BWuWu

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
magicjoe
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of magicjoe
My favorite is a variation from Danny Orleans art of children. The silent finger warm up.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
As with many things it depends on venue and age.

Example- 7th graders -1st hour drama class

A. Intro by drama teacher

1. How many of you have like comedy
Group Response
2. Can anybody name your favorite comedian
Group Response
3. Who is your favorite ventriloquist
Group response. (Thank you Jeff Dunham )
4. Pet phrases and call backs are important in comedy
Group response. HUH????
5. What does Achmed say
Group response in their voice tone
6. How does Jeff have him say it
Group response in Achmeds dialect

ShaZam ....
28 or so twelve year olds become one audience. And off
Nigel goes - praising Dunham, while disrespecting me.

Other groups have things like

A. Getting out the right pair of glasses
B. Floor juggling to balls rolled to and from a kid
C. ABC's --- front and backwards and said while brushing my teeth
D. Making a puppet from a sock And ....
With the right age / two quarters are used for eyes. The puppets name---Fifty Cent -the Wrapper , of course ???
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Generally, as I am a packs small type of performer, I drive up and the kids are looking out the window at me. I walk into the house and the mother points me to the room I will be performing in. I put my brief case down on and sit on a chair as the kids pile in. I pull faces at them as they come in, comment on what they are wearing, call them bananaheads, whatever gets a laugh.

Sometimes I begin fidgeting with my hat. It pops off my head, falls behind me, flies across the room, or whatever comes to me at the time.

My opening routine is generally very light on magic, but heavy on laughs - eating a balloon, or my hanky routine. Then into the magic.
Gordyboy
View Profile
Loyal user
British Columbia, Canada
216 Posts

Profile of Gordyboy
The Great Gordini

http://www.MagicCanada.ca
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store/in......uctId=28
I think that Tommy James' Flash Card Opener is a more "magical" version of the R U Ready warmup. He also has another version for Reading shows.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
I use Bob Markwood's warm up from hi Poof You're a Frog. I've rewritten it to suit myself and style while retaining the structure. I get plenty of laughs, but they wouldn't really work for anyone else the way they work for me.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
garydunn
View Profile
Veteran user
Glasgow
303 Posts

Profile of garydunn
My warm up is 15 minutes long.....
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I do my own warm-up, a funny silk routine performed to music. There are a lot of "mishaps", each of which is timed to a comedic musical "hit." Kids love it, and it lets them know right away that I'm going to be someone they'll have fun with.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
If I am in the mood, I tell a story as the warm-up. Those are my favourite gigs.
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
LOL - My Wife,

My Wife will sing and dance with the kids while I setup the show. About 10 min,
After the show She holds the rabbit and lets the kids pet him while I pack up.

Then we do balloon animals, and get the heck out of there......
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I recently got Tommy's Flash Card Opener but to date have only used it once. It's nicely made and is a cute opening effect. I suspect it will last a long long time. My favorite is the blooming bouquet ala Trevor Lewis. It's killer, and I use a really cheap India bouquet. That last one finally wore out after 20+ years, so I broke down and spent another $18 on a new one.
The Great Stevini
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of The Great Stevini
I still like Silver Sceptre to set the tone. Lots of silliness and tons of laughter!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I never do a warm-up and never will. I do my act.

Has anyone tried massaging their opener to have a warm-up type vibe, if necessary, instead of having an actual specific
kiddy "warm-up" ?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2014, Frank Starsini wrote:
I never do a warm-up and never will. I do my act.

Has anyone tried massaging their opener to have a warm-up type vibe, if necessary, instead of having an actual specific
kiddy "warm-up" ?

That is what I try to do, at least I think so. Lately I have been starting my show with "Sketch-o-magic". I use three volunteers, the volunteers and audience gets to make a lot of funny faces, and funny laughs. The audience gets to cheer and clap for each of the three volunteers and finally the volunteers get to help make the magic with the "sketch-o-magic". It helps set a great tone of laughter, cheering/clapping, audience participation, interaction with the audience, volunteers, and expectations (ie.. "the volunteers I pick need to be sitting in place and paying attention") I started using this opener this year and it has worked great so far, especially after some adjustments.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Favorite Comedy Warm Ups (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL