The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Resources for private cold readings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BillyAcre
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of BillyAcre
I prefer to do one-on-one readings, i.e. pseudo-psychic/fortunetelling readings including tarot, cartomancy and palmistry. Many of the books on cold reading seem to be geared for stage acts. I supposed some of the resources will be common to both types of cold readings, but I was wondering if certain ones were better for privates.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2138 Posts

Profile of ddyment
See my (free) list of cold reading resources. The vast majority of these are written for the one-on-one reader.
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
BillyAcre
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of BillyAcre
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2014, ddyment wrote:
See my (free) list of cold reading resources. The vast majority of these are written for the one-on-one reader.

Is that your list? I'm quite familiar with it, and it's an excellent one. Glad to know the resources are one-on-one oriented. Sometimes it's not clear by the title.
Dreda
View Profile
Loyal user
France, Paris
245 Posts

Profile of Dreda
Hi, your are French ?
Si c'est le cas je peux vous donner un coup de main dans les recherches. Smile

Look here also : http://s3.lybrary.com/free_ebooks/learning_to_cold_read.pdf (mister Craig Browning and mister Dyment are real experts)
"I know that I know nothing" - Socrate
BillyAcre
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of BillyAcre
Je ne suis pas francais, mais je lit la langue. (Je trouve le photo drole.)
Liste Excellente!
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I find most of what I need for private readings in the metaphysical section of a bookstore.
Anyone doing ANY type of reading (IMO) should have "Vitruvian Square" by Scott Grossberg and Jerome Finley has some excellent stuff throught his work, but what specifically about readings are you looking to learn and what why do specifically want mentalism books?

What's important to you when you give a private reading?
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
BillyAcre
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of BillyAcre
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2014, seadog93 wrote:
I find most of what I need for private readings in the metaphysical section of a bookstore.
Anyone doing ANY type of reading (IMO) should have "Vitruvian Square" by Scott Grossberg and Jerome Finley has some excellent stuff throught his work, but what specifically about readings are you looking to learn and what why do specifically want mentalism books?

What's important to you when you give a private reading?

I want them to say, "How could you possibly know that?"
I want them to think I can read their minds and know intimate things about them, maybe things they have never told anyone.
I like the semi-counseling aspect of cold reading, but I know my limits. I like being a confidante.
I want them to walk away from the sitting feeling good about themselves knowing that someone understands them.

These are big goals, I know. That's why it's important for me to find the right materials.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Oh, that makes perfect sense; and it's good I asked, because that's different than I had assumed.

What type of environment do you do the readings in, and what is the time frame of the readings?

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

BillyAcre
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of BillyAcre
As far as environment goes, I don't do readings yet. I was going to start out with some cheapo $5 readings on Skype for a while until I'm confident I can think on my feet for the requisite period of a sitting.

Then I'm not sure what to do. I would like to go to some public place and do some readings for free or on the cheap. I'm not certain where I could do that. Starbucks? Would they allow that?

After that I was thinking about renting a small space for face to face sittings. You can rent 200^2 ft (~18^2 metres?) by the hour, I might be able to get a cheap one for about $10 in my medium sized town. (Where do psychics rent space, anyway?)

I would like to do these things within the next 12 - 18 months. These goals sound vaunted, I know. I'm still giving readings to the cats.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
The goals that you mentioned above seem perfect for entertainment readings, doing short readings for example at a party or event.
These are very fun situations to work and while mentalism is not required ( just do straight readings) it is certainly appropriate and could be well appreciated.

It is just my own humble opinion, and others better than me may well disagree, that going for the "how did you know that/read my mind!?" reaction is not the best approach to private, non-entertainment, readings. Straight forward readings are very satisfactory and are also what the client is hoping for.

Can I ask what you experience has been in getting readings?
Also, what have you read and liked (or not liked) so far?

BillyAcre
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of BillyAcre
I have not done any readings yet. I'll be making the move in the next couple of weeks.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1820 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Billy, have you ever been the sitter? Ever had someone else read for you?

For what you appear to want, something like palmistry or tarot would be a very good route. If you want to spice it up with hits you can get Ian Rowland's Full Facts book. But I would suggest you do a couple dozen readings first. The advantage of something like palmistry is that you can blame the oracle if you miss. "Oh, you are not sensitive and intuitive? Well that just points out where classical palm reading has not kept up with the times. Are you by any chance part Irish? Celtic bloodlines sometimes give contrary indications."

The straight psychic reading is often less believable than an oracle method like palms or cards.

As to where to practice, just tell someone you are learning to be a fortune teller and ask if you can get a little feedback.

-Patrick
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18659 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Why the rush to try and make money out of it, if you've never done it before?

why do you want to give readings?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Resources for private cold readings (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL