The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What swayed you into choosing a particular branch of magic? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

PeterSteele111
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of PeterSteele111
Title says it all. What reasons swayed you into performing or wanting to study a particular branch in magic? Why stage? Why close-up? Why card? Why coins? You get the idea. I'm just curious as to see why people choose to master may be one field over another. I know many magicians delve into multiple branches but everyone has their favorite branch of magic over all others. why?
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Well, like you said- I'm one of those guys who likes a little bit of everything. I don't really have a favorite, but lately I love practicing and learning card and (much more slowly) coin magic. The reasons are: I can perform for a long time with very little props and the more I learn ungaffed, any shuffled deck card magic, the more I like it. Coins I just started learning because I feel a magician should be well rounded enough to do some things with ungaffed coins.

I also love all things silk. I just think it's beautiful, easy to pack magic.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
674 Posts

Profile of Bulla
The first magic trick I ever learned was a card effect using the Si Stebbins Stack. I was 11 years old and cards was just always easily accessible to me so I've stuck with it ever since.
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Cups and balls was the first trick I learned.
I have loved it ever sincs.

The bonus is, it can be used close up, on stage, anywhere.
"But there isn't a door"
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Early influences included seeing: Goshman, Gertner, Buckingham, Jennings. Cornelius and others led me to
Coin specialty and close up.

Bergen, Wences , Winchell, Johnson and Flowers led me to ventriloquism and puppets

Harris
Aka dr laugh
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1434 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
I do gambling routines mostly because , many years ago,I picked-up the book Gambling Scams by Darwin Ortiz. Then I purchased his vhs tapes and built up a nice few gambling effects that I could do close-up. Laypeople are interested crooked gambling methods and the life of being a cardshark with appearently super-human powers, that WOW! factor in gaming routines, well there is nothing like it. People are blown-away and that is why I do it.

I am also working on a Q & A act from Voodini's e-books. It's a one hour show, it's just me answering people's questions. I am still in the practice and rehearsal phase of the act.

If you can get your hands on Ortiz's book Strong Magic, it will help you find your own persona. Smile
Self concept is destiny..
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I do children show's mostly.But I
love close-up magic the best.
Todd
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
It’s the money!

I have an old silk cabbie left over from my younger days that I used with AstroSpheres (lost my balls) (no comment). Got a Silk to Dove perch that no longer works, and Chinese Sticks with a broken string. Completely lost one of my 15 inch Linking Rings %$#@!?!?! Replacing everything would cost hundreds dollars.

I can do Mentalism with a borrowed pencil and a piece of paper.

That’s my story and I’m sticking with it!
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
I do steampunk so brass, wood, leather appeal.

I have a historically accurate California gold rush gig (busking), so anything that looks right for the period works. My character is an old, retired gambler and con man, so gambling tricks are essential. I don't particularly like card trick but have to do them. Also do spirit slates to illustrate spiritualism cons. Etc.

A lot of the audience is kids, so I do various magic tricks. Also betchas and a variety of stuff.

Lots of arthritis in my hands so I avoid coins and other slights that require much dexterity.

Rope tricks would be good but I don't like them.

I love any kind of penetration trick.

Mentalism bores me but I do some tricks that I like.
aheads
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
188 Posts

Profile of aheads
Bizarre and "paranormal" magic is my bag purely because I am interested in the paranormal and work with it as entertainment. Adding magic to my tours and parties seemed a natural step and keeping it dark, spiritual and a little un-nervingly creepy is key to carrying it off.

I prefer to watch mentalism but perform bizarre.
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream
Vangel
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Vangel
I prefer performing with everyday objects as they are always accessible and people love giving me items to perform with. I also prefer close-up magic as it is much easier to set up and I believe magic is most powerful if the audience is holding the item while the magic is happening right at their finger tips.
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
I started out doing stage and parlor shows. Now that I am older and do to medical reasons and limitationsI've switched to mostly close up. A little coins, a little cards, a rope and cups and balls or sometime chop cup.
SHAZAM!
SD Houston
View Profile
New user
Billings, MT
61 Posts

Profile of SD Houston
Despite being a complete novice, I'm finding myself attracted to doing cups-and-balls routines, as well as card tricks and visual type effects like color-changing silks, vanishing boxes and such.

Gomerel, I'm a big steampunk fanatic myself and have been trying to think of ways to incorporate these into my magic. I've got a brass-tipped wand and am looking into brass cups and leather balls, as well as the Steampunk Bicycle cards.
The art of anything is taking the time to learn everything
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2014, SD Houston wrote:

Gomerel, I'm a big steampunk fanatic myself and have been trying to think of ways to incorporate these into my magic. I've got a brass-tipped wand and am looking into brass cups and leather balls, as well as the Steampunk Bicycle cards.

I think there is lots of potential. Like a hand chopper with lots of gears and stuff.
JohnnyPD
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of JohnnyPD
I too am a novice as a performer, even though I've performed the occasional trick or two for years, it is only recently that I've actually become a devoted student. So, because of my novice status I haven't really chosen a particular area, but what I've mostly been practicing lately is card handling. It is one area that I'd like to hone my skills greatly, because it is something you can do anywhere with only a deck of cards. I also like the idea of learning the sleight of hand or flourish of hand efforts. I've spent the last eight days or so just learning one small little thing - spinning a card on my finger. The instructions I found that were both readable and viewable (book and video) did mention that it would take some time to master this skill. That was why I set about acquiring this skill thru practice, practice, practice. I have probably spent at least an hour a day for the last eight days practicing this little flourish AND I'm happy to say that even though it has taken a lot of practice AND even though I cannot YET consistently do it, I have been able to see my improvement from day to day. It was small steps, small improvements, but I was able to actually start to get the card to spin for a bit... now and then.

Now I'm hoping that this wasn't something many others picked up in an hour or two and that I'm somehow challenged in my abilities to learn and develop hand manipulations and sleights, because I like the idea of a skill acquired thru real effort and real practice and hard work. A skill gotten thru great effort would be a skill to me that would be of great value.

Since this is kind of the area where I'd like to be much more proficient - sleight of hand or flourish (not sure exactly HOW to label it, since it could cover such things as coins, cards, or even cup and balls) but I guess you could call it close up magic and it most definitely involves tricks done intimately and in close proximity to the spectator.

And the reason I want to focus my efforts in that area is because of the target audience for whom I want to perform - friends, family, and (when they're a bit older) my grand kids. I've got a pair of grandkids who are a pair - of opposite twins (boy and a girl) given birth by my daughter about 17 months ago.

AND... I would think a magician's choice (funny to say it like that, since I don't really consider myself a "magician" just yet and I was ready to say "people" rather than magician, but realilzed many or most of you here in the café ARE truly magicians. Me, I'm maybe an apprentice to the apprentice to the magician)... anyway... the choices made on areas of study or proficiency would have to be governed by your choice of the audience or type of audience for whom you'd like to perform. If your ideal or target audience is children, then I don't think specializing as a mentalist would be the best branch of magic to pursue.

I'm sure there are many other factors that might help you choose OR choose for you that branch of Magic that is best suited for you or that you are best suited to perform.
Magic is believing in yourself. If you can do that, you can make anything happen.
D.J. Ayur
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of D.J. Ayur
The audience's reaction.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
I haven't really focused on any particular area (yet), but a variety of reasons I find that enjoy card stuff probably the most, followed by rope, and cups and balls, and mental magic. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What swayed you into choosing a particular branch of magic? (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL