The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Does anyone do lighter tricks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicgetsgirls
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of magicgetsgirls
I think the title pretty much explains it all. I'm working on one from Ron Jaxon that's pretty cool. I figured lighters and flashpaper would go together well since this way you could openly use something to light the flash paper. This could give you an excuse to go in your pocket for flashpaper, plus many other ideas.
What are your guys' thoughts on the subject? Also, if you have some cool ideas, but don't know how they would get accomplished, post them here and we can put our minds together to figure out a way.
Someone who can use his hands is a laborer. Someone who can use his hands, and his mind is a craftsmen. Someone who can use his hands, his mind, and his heart is an artist.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Tommy Wonder does a lighter to matchbox effect. Books of Wonder vol2 & also on a video.
magicgetsgirls
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

OHH ya! Good call, I forgot all about that! I don't have any of Tommy's stuff, but I remembered considering buying that video. Is that trick any good? Do you ever use it?
Someone who can use his hands is a laborer. Someone who can use his hands, and his mind is a craftsmen. Someone who can use his hands, his mind, and his heart is an artist.
perlimpinpin
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of perlimpinpin
There's also a 'paddle'-type effect around which uses a lighter and [I think] some adhesive colored dots. The dots change colors and places I think.

Recently I saw a friend perform an effect where he does a color change effect with candles. He uses a lighter. The candle changes from yellow to red - I suggested that he do a color change on the lighter as well, on the off-beat after the candle change. Works nicely.

Daniel
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5272 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I used to do a simple “impromptu” (yeah, sure!) routine that used a lighter and a man’s cotton handkerchief. What you saw was the handkerchief pulled over and through the lighter’s flame without harming the hank (the lighter was under the hank and the flame seen on the other side). As the following edge of the hank came close to dropping and revealing the lighter there would be a flash and the hand would be seen empty, the lighter had vanished. The hank would be opened out and seen unharmed.

It was a nice and easy to perform trick. Items needed are a good quality loose weave cotton or linen man’s handkerchief, a BIC or similar lighter, a small bit of flash paper, and a length of elastic, a safety pin and a rubber band.

I used to “show off” my manipulation skills by performing many cigarette manipulation moves with a BIC lighter.

I also have a custom made set of “Multiplying Lighters” (think Multiplying Candles) for a stand up act that included cigarette manipulation and a comedy multiplying lighter routine (each lighter was burning).

I also used to perform the color changing lighters (a Fantasio item for a standard size BIC lighter).

Finally I still have, but rarely perform, the marked coin to transparent lighter trick. The coin vanishes and is found inside the transparent body of a lighter (this is being made as a coin to Tic-Tac container now). The coin is then magically “plucked” from the lighter and comes out wet from the lighter fluid!

Those are just a few of the many dozen tricks using cigarette lighters.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On 2004-01-13 01:44, magicgetsgirls wrote:
OHH ya! Good call, I forgot all about that! I don't have any of Tommy's stuff, but I remembered considering buying that video. Is that trick any good? Do you ever use it?

Well, it is what it is, lighter to matchbox - if that's an effect you'd like to do, TW will teach you how. I don't do it because it doesn't fit into any routine I do.
I don't think anyone can go wrong with any of his books or videos, he really thinks things through. Very educational.
magicgetsgirls
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Ya one of my buddies who I highly look up to will never stop saying good things about Tommy Wonder whenever we session. Thanks for all your input, guys. The reason is because I'm working on a nutty lighter trick but wanted to have some build up. Once I become a millionare from this routine, you guys can all stay in my mansion.
-Peter
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21951 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Years ago Nicaboro Brothers sold a "Bill to Lighter" I recently seen this effect advertised by someone else. Think Hank Lee has it in his latest flyer.

There has never been many lighter effects on the market. I also purchased a color changing lighter from Magic Christian. It was a old style lighter, oval shaped, turning the lighter in your hand changed the color. Never thought much of it, I was looking for something more visible for stage.

Bill Smile
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
magicgetsgirls
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Bill, did the "dollar to lighter" effect look any good?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Does anyone do lighter tricks? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL