The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Subscript (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Interfector
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Interfector
Hello.

I am building my persona its about thought reading "sending and receiving thoughts". However it's not an actual science so its not like NLP or body language etc.. which they have many books in the internet and someone can get expertise from these books, but about my persona I couldn't find something is their some books that talk about these kind of things ? Or should I came up everything from my mind , I think its little difficult to come up with everything

What do you think should I do ?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18693 Posts

Profile of IAIN
..try writing a short story instead...write it from the perspective of an audience member seeing this person perform - and then being invited back for a brief chat with the performer to ask questions...you might get some ideas as you write it out...

spend some time visualising it all too...
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3565 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Try thinking "what if I really did have this power". Were you born with it? If not did it divelop or did something happen to trigger it? When did you discover it? How has it affected your life? How have you used or abused it? You might also want to consider how it works (or rather what you have to do to make it work).

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
Allan Kardek
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
195 Posts

Profile of Allan Kardek
Read some online articles or books on different philosophies (eastern, western, metaphysical, etc) when it comes to psi, the mind, or even how we perceive what is reality. I found that after reading different viewpoints, you will find some consistency and then use that as part of your subscript on why these powers work.

I believe when writing your subscript, you need to write out the 5 W's & H: Who, What Where, When, Why and How because people will ask you those questions if your performance is believable.

Cheers,
Allan
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
To me persona implies two things; both equally important.

The first is your 'voice'. Finding your voice will make all the difference between being good or being exceptional.

Your voice is the way in which you present yourself and establish rapport with your audience. It is unique to you. You obviously cannot copy another performer and certainly no one can teach it to you. You can practice from now until the end of time; only actual performance will enable you to discover it for yourself (and, from I see, many do not find it at all).

The second aspect of 'persona' is the way that Bob Cassidy uses the word. What are your abilities, talents or skills? Are the demonstrations that you perform consistent with what you claim that you can do? "Sending and receiving thoughts" rules out metal bending.

The next bit is not essential, but I find it to be very powerful.

We are hardwired to communicate by 'story'. Literal exposition gets analyzed by the critical faculties. Story telling bypasses the critical mind and sneaks in through the back door. Your audience will follow your story by placing themselves into it (much the same as when they view a film or read a book). Once again, this can make the difference between someone who performs technically well and someone who is great.

For that reason, crafting your 'story' and sharing it with your audience is, in my opinion, the strongest foundation for your performances. Derren Brown is an excellent example.

I hope that you find some of this useful.

Best wishes,

Scott
'Curiouser and curiouser."
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3565 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I don't think that you necessarily have to study conventional theory on these things. It really does not matter what the world thinks about how psychic phenomina works. If you have a unique ability be it mind reading or calendar calculating etc it will just be normal to you until you discover it isn't. Most people don't understand how they think, they just do it.

Many moons ago I had what is conventionally called a photographic memory. I could read a book and remember it word for word, page for page. John Carey will confirm that my "party trick" at the magic circle and conventions was if someone showed me a trick I could 99 times out of a hundred tell them the name of the trick, the book it was in and even the page number of the book. Obviously this was only true of books I had read but I was very well read. I also remember ever game of pool I have ever played shot by shot and every game of golf stroke by stroke.

I have unfortunately badly damaged that memory by many years of recreational activities that damage brain cells in my youth (so kids, just say no). I still have an exceptionally retentive memory by normal standards and this comes in extremely handy in my day job and in mentalism but alas I am no longer capable of my party trick (or even remembering where I put my keys most days). However I was completely unaware that my memory was any better than anybody else's until it got so much attention at conventions and magic clubs. Until that point I assumed everybody's memory worked like mine. I never had a clue how it worked or why it was so good, likewise I did not have to make any effort to recall the information it was just there. If I'd read the book then I knew what the effect was called and the page number etc as well as I know my own name.

So as I mind reader I take a similar approach, I know what I can do, I know when I discovered I could do it but I have absolutely no clue how it works or why I can read some people better than others.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Subscript (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL