The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best Tarot / playing card resource for under, say, $30? (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
BillyAcre
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of BillyAcre
I have read about Tarot Reader's Notebook, but Holy Moses it's $75?! If you could recommend any single tarot or playing card introduction for under around $30, what would it be?

PS And before you say look on eBay, I have never found mentalism/cold reading materials to be significantly less than retail.
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
I'd never suggest ebay for things as such. Richard Webster has a great book available. Also, check out the deceptionary.com for a wealth of knowledge.
Twitter @darjames
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Try ALIBRIS or ABEBOOKS for inexpensive used books. Both list the contents of thousands of bookstores nationwide.

See that other thread for those recommendations you want. You'll search for them. Eden Gray is the author that will make your learning stress-free....and for about $5.

Keep in mind you don't need the entertainers approach to learning, that part comes later. Plus it's cheaper to just learn the system...even better if you slow down and UNDERSTAND the points rather than trying to memorize the points. In other words, read at the book, contemplate what youve read, understand what you understand and read using what you understand. Then get out there and do plenty of readings. Be cheap cause you ain't good yet. Then reread and contemplate more. Rinse and repeat till you are insightful and accurate. Then, maybe, get the more in-house mentalists' cold reading advice (which is usually crap or the mentalist's tarot reading advice, which is usually much better.. By then you'll know what to avoid,what's BS and what isn't worth applying.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I wrote a whole post, and then read Tom Jorgenson's post above.
Yep.

...and Eden Gray's books are great.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
sgrossberg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
739 Posts

Profile of sgrossberg
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Tarot, 2nd Edition - $14.36 (or less if you use Kindle)
www.amazon.com/dp/1592570666

There are also numerous Tarot spread books for well under $30.

You can't go wrong with any of Enrique Enriquez's material, as well.
sgrossberg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
739 Posts

Profile of sgrossberg
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2014, seadog93 wrote:
I wrote a whole post, and then read Tom Jorgenson's post above.
Yep.

...and Eden Gray's books are great.

Eden Gray's books were some of the first material I ever started with . . . Smile
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
$75 is not expensive when you consider the earning potential of a tarot card reader. It's a small investment really.
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
BillyAcre
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of BillyAcre
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2014, Voodini wrote:
$75 is not expensive when you consider the earning potential of a tarot card reader. It's a small investment really.

Oh I'm not against spending the money at all, I'm just a little short on scratch at the moment.
BillyAcre
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of BillyAcre
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2014, Voodini wrote:

You know what blankity-blank it, you're right. $75 I can make back pretty quickly (once I get started)
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
You're not on a wind-up, are you?

if not - Tarotmania by Jan Woudhuysen (1974 I think?) - that was the first book I read on the subject...you can buy it for a penny from amazon new and used...
I've asked to be banned
SD Houston
View Profile
New user
Billings, MT
61 Posts

Profile of SD Houston
I had a set of Da Vinci Enigma tarot cards I found at one time. I think I paid about 20-25 bucks for them. They were beautifully made cards using images of many of Da Vinci's drawings. I've long since gotten away from tarot cards, but I really miss that deck.
The art of anything is taking the time to learn everything
BillyAcre
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of BillyAcre
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2014, IAIN wrote:
You're not on a wind-up, are you?

if not - Tarotmania by Jan Woudhuysen (1974 I think?) - that was the first book I read on the subject...you can buy it for a penny from amazon new and used...

What's a "wind-up"? And thanks for the recommendation.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Wind-up, as in saying something provocative to have a bit of fun/cause a reaction amongst us/kidding us on...

just being honest with you - and entirely my fault for misreading it, but it comes across like you definitely want to make money from readings almost straight away, even though it can take a while to learn and become good at it...i'm probably biased though to be honest...it takes time, and it might be that you could end up not being suited to giving readings after giving a few...

i guess I'm saying that it takes a great deal of care to be an ethical reader - and shouldn't be about the money, chasing "hits" or anything like that...

i just read your intro post, so I would say that there are tarot specific forums out there (especially if you're not interested in magic/mentalism), if that's what you are after...this is a pretty big one:
http://www.tarotforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=1
I've asked to be banned
BillyAcre
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of BillyAcre
To answer your question, yes I want to make some money -- as soon as possible. But I am still realistic that I will not be earning a full living out of the gate. I know it takes time to not only learn the cards, but how to interact to get the maximum out of the reading. I was thinking do some free readings in a coffee shop or something. Then do some $5 skype readings. I'll build from there.

I know it sounds mercenary to want to start making money so soon, but I'm tired of being poor, and I need something to supplement my income. I'm not looking to bilk old ladies out of their houses.

I'm going to spend a week or two once I get my materials together and then I'll decide my first move.

Thanks for taking the time to offer your input too.
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1753 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Pictorial Key to the Tarot by A.E Waite
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
I wrote a book on Cartomancy. And it's nothing like 30 bucks.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2014, BillyAcre wrote:
I know it sounds mercenary to want to start making money so soon, but I'm tired of being poor, and I need something to supplement my income.

Does not sound mercenary at all to me. Sounds completely reasonable.

I learned how to read the Tarot because I had a gig. I grew to love it. I recently got The Easiest Way to Learn the Tarot - Ever, by Brenda Joy. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Jerome Finley recommended it, and that was good enough for me. It was very good, and only twenty dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1419692......F8&psc=1
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of dmoses
And for the record, Ron's Tarot Reader's Notebook is more than worth every penny.
Probably the best book on the subject available.

That said, Iain and Bev and Richard Webster have terrific work on the subject of giving readings with cards.
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
T-shirts for Magicians and Mentalists
dsacks
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of dsacks
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2014, TonyB2009 wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2014, BillyAcre wrote:
I know it sounds mercenary to want to start making money so soon, but I'm tired of being poor, and I need something to supplement my income.

Does not sound mercenary at all to me. Sounds completely reasonable.

I learned how to read the Tarot because I had a gig. I grew to love it. I recently got The Easiest Way to Learn the Tarot - Ever, by Brenda Joy. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Jerome Finley recommended it, and that was good enough for me. It was very good, and only twenty dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1419692......F8&psc=1

Actually, Brenda is the editor and Dusty White is the author. Also, Dusty does a lot of podcasts with some great supplemental info. As a first book one could do a lot worse Smile
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Many of Richard Webster's free essays address BillyAcre's concerns.

I suggest beginning with "Instant Cash: The Story of Bill".

There's a wealth of free and inexpensive information on these subjects. Ron Martin's tarot book (which is more on the business end, less on the readings) is superb, but it should be the last one you buy, not the first.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best Tarot / playing card resource for under, say, $30? (21 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL