The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Orson Welles predicting word randomly found in book. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CraigEllis
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of CraigEllis
Hello, I am new to this website, but I am dying to talk to someone about an old (from the 1970s) video where Orson Welles appears to predict the word randomly found in a randomly selected book.
You can see the video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z6Ctw-ZWG8

First of all, I don't want to break any rules. I am not currently a bona fide magican, so perhaps it would be unethical to discuss this with me either off or on this board. I can appreciate that. If so, please disregard my request. Smile

However, I bit about me, why this is of interest to me, etc.

I am in my mid-40s and when I was a kid, I was very involved in magic. My mother purchased a magic kit for me, and I enjoyed putting on magic shows for my friends and relatives. I learned card tricks and other tricks that come in the children's magic kit. My two favorites where the box which made things disappear, and the pouring milk into a newspaper. Smile I think I got pretty good (for a 12 year old.) but never really went beyond this. I remember seeing the Orson Welles illusion I am mentioning here, and it completely stumped me.

In the intervening years I would love to watch magicians when they would come on TV and alwasy considered coming back to this hobby.

Fast forward to last week. This illusion with Orson Wells came up in a dream I had one night! I spent some time, found the clip on Youtube and indeed, this is exactly what I remember from the 1970s.

I have to say that Mr. Welles' stage presence is amazing, and it really makes the illusion. I've seen other posts here that allude to how he was truly a master at this, and I would have to agree. I think he could make the most basic forced card trick into an immense grand illusion.

So, now that I've seen this illusion again, I am captivated by it. I think I know how this was done, but I would love to discuss my theory with someone with more experience and someone who would have more in depth knowledge to listen to my theory.

Again, if this is a violation of this board, or of magican's ethics, I understand. But if someone would be willing to listen to my theory about how this was accomplished, I would be very grateful.

Craig
Santa Rosa, California.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Hi Craig,

Welcome to the Café. Rules say we can't discuss the method and really this subject is more suited for the "Penny For Your Thoughts" forum.
CraigEllis
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of CraigEllis
Eldon -

Thank you for filling me in. I will go over and check out "Penny for your thoughts"

-Craig
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Orson Welles predicting word randomly found in book. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL