The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism for the non-Mentalist (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
727 Posts

Profile of ftlum
Hello, All.

I'd like to increase my general understanding of metalism, to help my overall magic and any "mental magic" I might try. I'm not sure I will really be doing pure mentalism, however.

I was wondering what resources are recommended for someone like me.
I understand that the 13 steps book and Artful Mentalism (I can only find Vol 2) may be good choices. I have Maximum Entertainment, Psychological Subtleties vol 1 and have ordered Naked Mentalism 1-3 (it sounded interesting). Psychometry A-Z also sounds interesting, as does Divine (I understand it goes into "why" things work, which I think might help me) and the Multiplicity DVD.

Are there any other books (or videos) that you could recommend?

thanks,

Frank
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
The above are certainly great resources. Larry Becker's "Stunners" is full of wonderful material. I believe this is available as an ebook from Lybrary.com
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18809 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I've got the same birthday as mr becker, just a different year...

anyway - this is pretty nifty from what I remember...
http://www.lybrary.com/mentalism-for-mag......c30fb57b
I've asked to be banned
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
Even better! Thanks Iain.
Johannes L.
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
692 Posts

Profile of Johannes L.
Check Theodore Annemann.

The Jinx
Practical Mental Effects.
The Rain Man Glimpse

Effect: The mentalist memorize any kind of information in less than a second. $5
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
'Magic to Mentalism' by Max Gordon. Can't find his site any more, but some details and a paypal address are on this thread:
http://www.magicbunny.co.uk/phpBB2/viewt......6a081838

(I'd recommend shooting an email to that paypal account first to check that he's still there)
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
727 Posts

Profile of ftlum
Thanks, Everyone!

Of the more modern books, would Divine be a good choice to get? From what I've read, it goes into an explanation of why things work and what spectators might be thinking, which sounds useful to help me understand the concepts involved.

Frank
Alwow
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
544 Posts

Profile of Alwow
Divine is a great book, but I'm not quite sure how fitting it would be simply because if I remember correctly there a certain amount of assumed knowledge of mentalism by Colin of the readers of the book.
"Everything I show you is the truth... And the truth is the loveliest of lies"
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18809 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Probably not what you want to hear, but! you've already got more than enough to expand your current knowledge on the subject...

it depends on what you want to do more of... there's more than enough excellent material in the books you already own to get performing with, and tinkering with...eugene burger has some marvelous books on the experience of magic itself, as does robert e neale....but that's about it..

you've already got all the techniques you'll need the books you already own, so its better if you put together a 3 effect mini-set and start messing around with the presentations, and see how they go down...that's what I'd do anyway..

once you've got the three 'ready' rehearsal wise - you can think deeper about character, how to tie them all together, which goes first, second and third and so on...
I've asked to be banned
Johannes L.
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
692 Posts

Profile of Johannes L.
Start with Dunninger, Annemann and Corinda.

Then go into modern mentalism, otherwise it's likely you won't understand the "big picture" of the modern art.
The Rain Man Glimpse

Effect: The mentalist memorize any kind of information in less than a second. $5
MrThomas
View Profile
Regular user
Magdeburg
120 Posts

Profile of MrThomas
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2014, John Linden wrote:
Start with Dunninger, Annemann and Corinda.

As the literature from Corinda and Annemann are well known classics of mentalism literature, could someone point out a "must read" of Dunningers works? A quick seach suggested to me there are over 20 books published. What is essential? Thank you!

-hans
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
None of Dunninger's books are essential. Most were promotional pieces written for the general public. His biography, "Dunninger's Secrets," though, is a quirky but interesting book.

Click on "The 39 Steps" in my signature below to read my commentary on the thirty-nine books I consider essential to a working mentalist. It's free.)

Good thoughts,

Bob
Joe Atmore
View Profile
Elite user
Joe Atmore
422 Posts

Profile of Joe Atmore
The vast majority of Literature ascribed to Dunninger was written by Lustig, Gibson and later on Some by Lund. He never revealed his methods - though that is what I have covered in my writings. From a promotional standpoint, his work was very effective.
Best Thoughts,

Joe Atmore
International Artists Consultant Uri Geller's Phenomenon TV Series;
PEA Bob Haines Memorial Award;
Dunninger Show Recreation;
Author of Dunninger Knows and Dunninger's Brain Busters

JosephAtmore.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

No doubt, Joe. But he wrote nothing that could be considered canonical in the literature of mentalism. (Funny enough, it was David Lustig who wrote the fairly influential "Vaudeville Mentalism.")
Joe Atmore
View Profile
Elite user
Joe Atmore
422 Posts

Profile of Joe Atmore
True indeed Bob! And it is either that Lustig book or another one (can't remember) about the blindfold "drive" with a horse and buggy. Now that was a perfect method if it rings a bell with you Smile
Best Thoughts,

Joe Atmore

JosephAtmore.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Yes it was! But it would have been a lot more impressive if they blindfolded the horse. Smile
Joe Atmore
View Profile
Elite user
Joe Atmore
422 Posts

Profile of Joe Atmore
Hey! This is a public forum!!! Hahahahaha
Best Thoughts,

Joe Atmore

JosephAtmore.com
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
727 Posts

Profile of ftlum
Thanks, Mr. Cassidy! I hope I can find a copy of your Artful Mentalism (v1) soon Smile.

Frank
Limitless
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Limitless
Ftlum,

Some great recommendations here.
I loved 13 steps and PME (that is literally by my laptop as I write). Also, Banachek's Psychological Subtleties is worth reading.
And our own Bob Cassidy's 39 Steps will sort you out.

I wish I had read them first as I would have saved myself the embarrassment of a lot of naïve newbie questions!

Good luck
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism for the non-Mentalist (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL