The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Genii or Magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
KapBoy77
View Profile
Loyal user
Ottawa, Canada
213 Posts

Profile of KapBoy77
I'm looking to subscribe to one of these. I used to receive both of them about 8 years ago. A lot changes in 8 years so perhaps somebody could tell me which of the two has more value.

I'm leaning towards Genii? Is that a good idea?

Andre
treysdaddy
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of treysdaddy
I think it depends on what you like. My favorite is Magic because I like the columnists (Joshua Jay, Silly Billy, and Michael Close) Genii seems to have more historical articles. I haven't subscribed to either. I buy both at my local shops.
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
I've subscribed to Magic for quite a new years, but thought I'd swap over to Genii this year - after all, they say a change is as good as a rest!
Mark S. Farrar

Email: [email]MarkFarrar@TheMagicCircle.co.uk[/email]
Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
denny_Corby
View Profile
Loyal user
PA
240 Posts

Profile of denny_Corby
Just get both. Both have there things that are better then the other one.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I subscribe to both. MAGIC is slicker and has slightly better content than Genii.
KapBoy77
View Profile
Loyal user
Ottawa, Canada
213 Posts

Profile of KapBoy77
Mark: And since you've switched, are you glad you did or are you thinking of switching back?

Denny: I used to subscribe to both but then something happened. I moved out of my parents place! I'd love to have both but at the moment I can only pick one. (some married folks in here might know what I mean) Smile

Andre Smile
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
I have been subscribing to both, but lately only to Magic.
As some of the other have mentioned, both have things they are better than the other on.

I plan to take up again subscription also on Genii again

Sven
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I think Magic would be a better way to go.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Both. That comes to, what, a dollar a week?
jasonchr
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
173 Posts

Profile of jasonchr
If I had to choose, I'd go with Genii. Under Richard Kaufman, Genii has really flourished - both in terms of excellent articles and effects.

Jason
The aspirant should acquire the resolve to explore and expand his talents to the best of his ability. With a thorough commitment to quality comes a sense of accomplishment and unique satisfaction.

John Carney
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
I subscribe to Genii, and pick up an occasional copy of Magic at the local dealer, if there is something that piques my curiosity.

In my opinion, Genii has the better articles, and their effect selection is about the same, overall. Any given issue might have something I want to learn/use, but if it doesn't than all the leaves is the articles. So, to ensure I get maximum value, I choose Genii.

Your mileage may vary.
Tony Venetico
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago, IL
238 Posts

Profile of Tony Venetico
I personally like Magic better -- but get both
Gerben
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
36 Posts

Profile of Gerben
I also subscribe to both.
They're both good magazines in my opinion. Somehow Magic seems easier to read for me. I like it's lay out better than Genii's. Genii's articles and interviews are very long and very indepth usually, so you learn everything about a subject.

I don't think it would really me matter which one you'd choose. Like I said, they're both good.
Phred
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Phred
I used to subscribe to Magic, then changed to Genii (could only afford one at a time). I plan to renew my subscription to Magic.

Comparing the two my impressions are:

Genii: Has more Historical information. Articles are longer/more in depth. I get a feeling that they are trying to appeal more to the professional rather than the hobbiest. Reviews done by a panel so you get a broad variety of opinion, but may be inconsistent in their views. I do not like the coverage given to children's magic (what little there is).

Magic: More articles because they are not as long. "Slicker". I do mostly children's magic and I much prefer the coverage given to this area of magic. Reviews by one person. While there may be some personal bias in the reviews, I know that if Close likes it, I will too because we have similar likes/dislikes.

My two cents.
matinex
View Profile
Regular user
San Jose, CA
108 Posts

Profile of matinex
I like the people who contribute to Genii a little better... David Regal, Richard Kaufman, etc. And I think the reviews in Genii are a little more in-depth. But for learning new tricks, I prefer Magic. I think they have a better variety and more are about at my skill level: beginner-intermediate.

-Dave
Dallen
View Profile
New user
Maui, Hawaii
58 Posts

Profile of Dallen
If you can afford both, go with that route. You'll definitely gain something from both magazines. But if I had to just pick one, I would go with Magic.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
I like Magic better, mainly because Mike Closes rewiews. Lately Magic has had too many historic articles in my opinion and it has become quite booring to read. Still I like it more than Genii
Emily Belleranti
View Profile
Veteran user
Tucson, Arizona
349 Posts

Profile of Emily Belleranti
I personally prefer Genii to Magic. I think that the articles are generally a little more in-depth. It seems to be more informative and not as commercial as Magic. As others have mentioned, Genii seems to have more historical articles and caters more to the serious magician. But that is just my opinion.

I definitely agree that if you can afford both, you should get both. But if you have to choose just one, I would recommend Genii.
"If you achieve success, you will get applause, and if you get applause, you will hear it. My advice to you concerning applause is this: Enjoy it, but never quite believe it."

-Robert Montgomery
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
MAGIC is ok.
Genii is better.

MAGIC has some really nice
historical features and features
on magicians. Genii would be almost
the equivalent to TOPS in a way.

I never had been a fan of MAGIC,
but since they are doing a feature
on my dad, my opinion might change.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2364 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Magic is pretty... it appeals to those who want pretty.. Genii is more for those who want serious stuff... Both in articles and effects... One is good bathroom read... the other sit in a quiet place and study read...

just my opinion...
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Genii or Magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL