The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Agla Tetragamaton (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3803 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Found an interesting magic sigil today, probably late XVIth or early XVIIth Century. Inscribed: "Tetragamaton (sic), Agla, Iechova, Emanuel"..., on one side and Jesus Christus , Eloy, Ananisai, on the other. Maybe an alchemist talisman made from amalgam.

Someone knows something about that, I'm really curious?
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1460 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Here's a discussion about the amulet

http://www.numismatikforum.de/viewtopic.php?t=33123

Hello, you've spoken to me because of the thread. in an old auction catalog is your Zinnmedaille recorded. . Guided there as a talisman "directory of the left by the kkGeneralmajor Eduard Freiherr von Maretich de Riv-Alpon in Vienna coin and medal collection" Publisher Berman 1863 Losnr. 's "Journal of Folklore" - Volume 45 (1937), this Amulet also discussed (page 81) This protective amulet it comes to the true and final name of God. Jehovah / Yahweh - YHWH written is a Tetragamaton (actually Tetragrammaton), also represented by the four overlapping triangles (Trinity) It was probably used in the field of exorcism to keep evil spirits by the true name of God and Jesus Christ. The effect of such Talismannes is based on the belief of the user often discussed in his power / strength. (I compare it a lot to a placebo effect) actually refers to this talisman on medieval traditions which in the Tanakh justify (the ancient Hebrew Bible)
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3803 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Thanks alot, Al. It really helps.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
The "problem" with those older books (see the links to the Google books on that website) is that they simply described the contents of a persons cabinet (collection), and unless the book was a prestigious book like ones produced by the British Museum, you rarely found woodcuts or hand drawings of the coins in the collections, just descriptions. But I think with all the discussion on that page, and the related links, you now have a good idea of the origins of your medal.

I would look up "Steinmetz brands" (I think "brands" is literal, more like "type") and I suspect Steinmetz was a medal maker or a reference to an area that medals came out of certain workshops.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3803 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Can "Pest segens" be translated by benediction against plague?
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2014, The Curator wrote:

If you're asking me, I don't know offhand. I use the Chrome browser, which will automatically translate pages like that, so I just had the page translated from German to bad English.

If you're looking for translations, look up Google Translate and it lets you put in words, phrases and whole paragraphs and translate from one language to another.

http://translate.google.com/
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3803 Posts

Profile of The Curator
I use a translator, but pestsegens wasn't translated. So I divided Pest and Segens and could guess that it mean benediction against plague, but ain't sure.
Thanks again.
Poveglia
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
238 Posts

Profile of Poveglia
I don't recall why, but I think I read something in the Lesser Keys of Solomon about the Tetragrammaton.

Don't quote me though.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3803 Posts

Profile of The Curator
According to the Encyclopedia of Occultism and Parapsychology, by the Gale Group, Inc. (and Collin de Plancy's Dictionnaire Infernal - 1825/26, and Diderot et d'Alembert Encyclopedia - 1751)

Ananisapta: A kabalistic word made up from the initial letters of the prayer Antidotum Nazareni Auferat Necene Intoxicationis; Sanctificet Alimenta, Poculaque Trinitas Alma. When written on virgin parchment, it is said to be a powerful talisman to protect against disease. (Specifically Plague, the Black Death)

Tetragrammaton is the Name of God. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetragrammaton
Agla: God Almighty http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGLA

Eventually, the medal is a XVIth/XVIIth Talisman against Plague and diseases... or Demons who plague you.
A good catch.
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Curator, would you be willing to share where you found this beauty?
This CAN'T be a lucky flea market find, where do you seek out such things?
What are the measurements?
Good Catch, No Kidding!
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2014, The Curator wrote:

Literally "sayings against plagues" Pest = plague, segens = sayings
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3803 Posts

Profile of The Curator
The talisman is 55mm wide and in perfect condition. I found it on a flea market, but as people know me, they keep that kind of item for me.

Thanks again for your help, it was really useful as you see. We could solve an enigma in a very short time.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3803 Posts

Profile of The Curator
A similar Octagram is also found on XVIIth century alchemical / Rosicrucian medal. A similar medal is on Ebay at the moment.
I'm curious to know the signification of the octagram in such a context.
http://www.levity.com/alchemy/a-archive_nov01.html
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3803 Posts

Profile of The Curator
From the Surnateum small Cabinet of Talismans and Medals, here are (from left to right): A Paracelse Coin (the Sun) with magic square, an Alchemist medal made when an adept was succesful in a transmutation, a medal with the Beast form the Book of Revelations. The 3 medals are from the late XVI/early XVIIth century.

Two closer look at the Alchemical Medal.

The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3803 Posts

Profile of The Curator
For those who read this post, an idea:
In his excellent treatise "Life, Death & Other Card Tricks", Robert Neale described a routine called SURVIVOR.
If you can obtain a copy of Robert Neale's book, a talisma against plague, a good copy of an early Danse Macabre and a game of L'Homme Noir (I love the 70's Piatnik version); you can sing the ' Ring-a-ring o' roses' nursery rhyme,(...A pocket full of posies,A-tishoo! A-tishoo!We all fall down.) and explain that some believe that the nursery rhyme is linked to the Bubonic Plague.
You and the spectator play God and one of the children (in the game) will be saved by the talisman. You show his mate as a prediction.

Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
I have adapted Robert Neale's Sole Survivor to the Old English Tarot deck, U.S. Games Systems, ISBN 1-57281-040-8. The major arcana can be used to represent an English village:
V  The Hierophant: The bishop had a country home in the village, but all his praying didn’t protect him from the plague.
XVII  The Star (young nude woman): The village maid didn’t last long. Her purity was no match for Death.
VIIII  The Hermit: The hermit thought he could survive by keeping to himself, but Death found him anyway.
Knave of Batons (young boy): This young boy was too innocent to commit any serious sin, but Death caught up with him, nevertheless.
Knight of Swords: The job of the resident knight was to protect the villages from marauding vagabonds; a task he performed admirably. But he was no match for Death.
King of Coins: The wealthy landowner was the richest man in the shire, ensconced in his estate. But even with his great wealth, he could not hide from Death.
XIII  Death: [Refer to Options 1 & 2 above.] Death has outlasted them all. (The back of the Death card is marked for the PATEO force.)
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3803 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Good idea Bill.

The more I study the Talisman, the more it seems to be goetic. More than alchemical. Black Magic and Invocation of Angels and Demons to ward off Plague.
Lot of reference in the entry 'conjuration' in Collin de Plancy's Dictionnaire Infernal.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3803 Posts

Profile of The Curator

I think this document is a Patenta Netta dated 1770 from Rome (Alma) attesting that the bearer is clean from the Plague. This document was to be carried by travelers coming from places infected by Plague (Levant, Barbary Coast...). If you couldn't show one, you risk the Death Penalty.
A better latinist than me may confirm or infirm what I write (It may be a Patenta Brutta, the opposite).

The two saints seem to be Peter and Paul.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3803 Posts

Profile of The Curator

The perfect items for the Plague routine.
If you can't find a good fac-simile, use the real McCoy. Smile
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
Piemontese Alps ( Northwestern Italy )
238 Posts

Profile of galerius
The document reads literally :
"The Conservators of Chamber of the Propitious City.
We certify, by the disposition of present script, that the eminent City of Rome - whence the bearer ( of age-----, height--------, hair------- ) of the present document came, isn't absolutely - for the grace of Lord Almighty - in trouble with any epidemy or plague, and there is no suspicion of its presence in there."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Agla Tetragamaton (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.45 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL